35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby Zann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:52 am

KSP wrote:
turquoise wrote:I don't think TLL has GEP prep classes.

They don't have to name their enrichment class as GEP prep. Their class material is already up to that standard. The rest depend on the student calibre.

Good English will benefit them in the screening test since English is a component but not all who are good in English get thru the second round of the selection test. If you send your child for GEP screening preparation and he/she get in afterthat, you will never know if he/she is really gifted and you might have to worry if he/she can cope.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Neko » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 am

Bronzy wrote:

When my dd qualified for GEP, I had two main worries - the first was whether she would be able to cope with the work and the second whether she would become arrogant and think herself superior to the mainstream students (as I had read happens) and end up being ostracised. My dh and I prepped her on how she was lucky to have made it and should not think herself better that those who didn't. So far, (only 2 months), she seems quite a normal girl - not too eager to finish her work and preferring to read, laze or watch TV. Mixes well and does not talk down about any of her schoolmates. Always kid with her that she must have got in by accident and she takes it good naturedly.

your dd sounds exactly like mine ! my dd even mused that she's prob the 566th one who got into GEP.

I sometimes wonder what exactly dd is gifted in. She topped the std in her former school but that does not make her 'gifted' rite ? I read and hear about kids who are very good in Art/Music/Maths/Sports ... but my dd is not good in any of these. There isn't anythg particularly outstanding abt her.

What exactly does 'gifted' mean ? Prodigy ? high abiity learner ? hmm .. 'gifted' sounds a little elitist ...

still, I must acknowledge the GE prog is really interesting. so far dd is very happy in her new school (esp with the canteen food!) and seems to be coping. Not much hw and she has a lot of time to play and laze around.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSP » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:11 am

Zann wrote:Good English will benefit them in the screening test since English is a component but not all who are good in English get thru the second round of the selection test. If you send your child for GEP screening preparation and he/she get in afterthat, you will never know if he/she is really gifted and you might have to worry if he/she can cope.

I'm thinking along the line of just give my child some help. If my child gets in it's good but if didn't it's also fine with me. At least we know we have put in some effort and try. And I don't believe all in GEP are gifted. The word "gifted" is just a name for the programme like many enrichment centers also use fanciful names for their classes too. To me it is just another sports or games and put in the best effort to get the best result. If can win the sports competition its good. If didn't win, life still goes on. Same mentality here for GEP.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi ksp,
the first gep screening test is somewhere before or after ca2, so by preparing for ca2 it somehow 'warm up' the kid brain also for the test... u can also let your kid try a few of the olypmic maths sum which u can bought it at bookstore like Popular..again to warm up your child mathematical brain..but not sure whether it works or not but at least your child has something to work on...for English I think he got to like reading story books which means most likely he will be able to understand 'tricky' or difficult passages. As for general ability test, u may like to google search abt it..u may have a rough idea how it look like but it most likely not the same as what the kid would be taking ...... :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby syshi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Deleted. Double post
Last edited by syshi on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Glad that your DD school has feedback session. Not for mine though. I'm currently very concern for my DS's Math. I found out that the current GEP Math teacher actually 'skipped' a lot of items which she considered 'not important'. The teacher 'threaten' the boys not to tell their parents about it. I'm thinking of getting external tuition so that hr can cope with those 'missing' items as I find that it's not right for the teacher to just skip any items which are parts of the GEP curriculum. I worried that if I brought this up, my DS will suffer in the hand of the teacher.

The same teacher actually scolded one of the boy 'Kay Poh' just because he tried to take extra worksheet for his sick absent classmate. This was because the classmate's mom asked his help...
When this was told to the P, was told by P that maybe the way the boy asked the question was not right... I believe the P supposed to find out rather than throwing this assumption...

Anybody got suggestion?
KSmom8 wrote:WOW!!! Thanks for sharing. I have the same worries and view. I consider my son to be academically inclined but would never use the term 'gifted' on him. I worry that the label 'GEP' and the expectations that go with it might be too heavy a burden.

Eventhough, he was within the top 10 in his standard from primary 1 to 3... To me, he is a bright and conscientious child. Didn't send him for any GEP preparatory classes (don't believe in that) and was shocked when he got in.

I counsel him often not to consider himself above 'mainstream' (don't like this term too!) students and am trying to teach him social skills, empathy and compassion.

I am still worried about his ability to cope with the workload. My heart goes out to him when he returns from school at 3-4pm (3 times a week) and then does his homework till dinnertime and sometimes till bedtime! He used to take so little time to do his homework ... in fact, he'd finish most of it in school! About 2 weeks ago, he said he was stressed and we spoke about perfectionism, expectations and time management. I really thought then that GEP might not be for him (eventhough I thought he was faring okay with the curriculum) and he would be happier in 'mainstream'. Fortunately, the next week, his school asked for feedback from the pupils on whether they felt there was too much homework. All his classmates except for one (ironically the one that does not hand in the homework on time) complained about far too much homework. It seemed that the amount of homework reduced consequently. Yesterday, he beamed when I asked about homework and said that there was only one question left to do. Though he spent most of the day studying for his Chinese spelling test (no spelling list) and preparing for his Chinese test both this week, he was happier.

Am still keeping all my fingers (and toes) crossed that the decision to take up the GEP challenge is a good one for him. :pray: :pray: :pray:

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

syshi wrote:Glad that your DD school has feedback session. Not for mine though. I'm currently very concern for my DS's Math. I found out that the current GEP Math teacher actually 'skipped' a lot of items which she considered 'not important'. The teacher 'threaten' the boys not to tell their parents about it. I'm thinking of getting external tuition so that hr can cope with those 'missing' items as I find that it's not right for the teacher to just skip any items which are parts of the GEP curriculum. I worried that if I brought this up, my DS will suffer in the hand of the teacher.

The same teacher actually scolded one of the boy 'Kay Poh' just because he tried to take extra worksheet for his sick absent classmate. This was because the classmate's mom asked his help...
When this was told to the P, was told by P that maybe the way the boy asked the question was not right... I believe the P supposed to find out rather than throwing this assumption...

Anybody got suggestion?

What are the topics the tr skip? May be they are available at Popular whcih you can self help? We don't have any feedback session also . With CT coming, do you know what are the topics to be tested first?
Last edited by Zann on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby syshi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Zann wrote:
syshi wrote:Glad that your DD school has feedback session. Not for mine though. I'm currently very concern for my DS's Math. I found out that the current GEP Math teacher actually 'skipped' a lot of items which she considered 'not important'. The teacher 'threaten' the boys not to tell their parents about it. I'm thinking of getting external tuition so that hr can cope with those 'missing' items as I find that it's not right for the teacher to just skip any items which are parts of the GEP curriculum. I worried that if I brought this up, my DS will suffer in the hand of the teacher.

Anybody got suggestion?

What are the topics the tr skip? May be they are available at Popular whcih you can self help? We don't have any feedback session also . Usually when absent from school we write email or give phone call to leave msg to tr and he/she will follow up with the child when he/she return to school. Some tr may ask the classmate who sit next to the child to help collect a copy. If he/she has a sibling, the tr may hand it to the sibling if the mc is long, eg H1N1 related home leave.

Ex. whole number. Just asked them to do the worksheet without explaining the concept. Also on the prime number. Asked them to go through the worksheet without explaining. End up I did the explanation to him myself. At first did not believe my DS that the teacher did not teach them. Only after I heard from another parents from neighbor class giving the same feedback.

The sick classmate mom was a bit 'kan chiong'/worry. She worried that cannot get the Form teacher in the morning, so asked his friend to take on his behalf. The teacher should tell the boy that the worksheet will be passed to the form teacher. Instead of saying 'Kay Poh'/busybody to the boy... no wonder when they grew up, they will be 'bo chap'/'don't care' generation... because from small already trained not to be 'kay poh'...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:06 pm

syshi wrote:
Ex. whole number. Just asked them to do the worksheet without explaining the concept. Also on the prime number. Asked them to go through the worksheet without explaining. End up I did the explanation to him myself. At first did not believe my DS that the teacher did not teach them. Only after I heard from another parents from neighbor class giving the same feedback.

If all parents don't teach( about 25 pupils in your kid's class?), the children results will be a good reflection of the tr. When HOD check the children's work this tr will kena right? But if parents continue to teach and yet no way to feedback coz worried get black listed. then the tr will continue doing so.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby syshi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 pm

the teacher teaching both classes = 52 boys. But some of them might have their own 'training' at home. Also don't dare to take risk to jeopardize my DS' s Math...

Zann wrote:
syshi wrote:

If all parents don't teach( about 25 pupils in your kid's class?), the children results will be a good reflection of the tr. When HOD check the children's work this tr will kena right? But if parents continue to teach and yet no way to feedback coz worried get black listed. then the tr will continue doing so.

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge