Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby syshi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 pm

KSmom8 wrote:Hmmm, perhaps I shouldn't have called it "feedback session"...gives the impression that more was discussed. According to DS, the HOD only confirmed with the students whether there was too much homework and discussed with them the possible reasons why they might not have time to do the homework (e.g. too many enrichment classes, etc). Don't know how he reached this conclusion but DS came home and told me that enrichment classes of non-academic nature were not important. :| Don't know the reason for the 'discussion' - perhaps a parent had complained. DS' classmates used to call him quite often in the evenings and at night to ask about homework... so I know that he is not alone. Anyway, homework is now mainly worksheets so it takes up less time! :lol:

DS math teacher also tends to give worksheets without much explanation. For one worksheet on estimation, the whole class had to redo because they gave the exact answers and not the estimates! Also, had to explain to DS the worksheet on HCF, LCM and prime factorisation. Not sure whether this is a teaching method. DS normally pays attention in class.

Ours don't even have 'discussion' with the HOD...
My DS used to finish his homework in school in his previous school. currently also struggling to finish the homework... no other tuition for him at the moment...

Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. My DS also attentive in school. Teachers always commented that he's very quite as he paid attention in class... but now always tell me that the teacher didn't explain... always lost and ended up have to coach him myself..

If this is the approach, I wonder whether the children can understand those maths? Wonder whether it's the right decision to let him join GEP. Can anyone clarify whether is this the approach for GEP curiculum teaching?

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:48 pm

KSmom8 wrote:Am looking forward to the day when he will be more independent. See some improvement recently ... he searches for information on the internet himself, uses the dictionary (especially chinese dictionaries) more frequently, studies for tests by himself without my prompting.

I think deep down they are quite responsible. Depend on how is the approach.
For my DS's classmate, seems like some of them are 'spoilt'... quite rowdy in class... compare to the other class which is more 'discipline'...
heard that next wednesday the VP Academic and HOD Chinese will visit DS's class... some rumours said that GEP Branch people also coming down... not sure whether it's true...

Was there last Chinese New Year. Helped in the Lo Hei for DS's class... Saw that the form teacher very fierce, but the boys not scared...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pecalis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 pm

syshi, sent you pm

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:10 am

syshi wrote:Ours don't even have 'discussion' with the HOD...
My DS used to finish his homework in school in his previous school. currently also struggling to finish the homework... no other tuition for him at the moment...

Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. My DS also attentive in school. Teachers always commented that he's very quite as he paid attention in class... but now always tell me that the teacher didn't explain... always lost and ended up have to coach him myself..

If this is the approach, I wonder whether the children can understand those maths? Wonder whether it's the right decision to let him join GEP. Can anyone clarify whether is this the approach for GEP curiculum teaching?

Glad to know that I am not alone!

Personally think that the 'homework overload' was too much too soon, the kids are still adjusting to the new sch environment and programme. However, I recognise that it also means that the teachers are committed cos they are willing to mark more!! So am thankful for that. I'm noticing that DS is slowly learning to prioritise his homework. Maybe it just takes time for the kids to adjust?

DS also does this for Chinese notes - teacher teaches some words in class but the worksheet has so many other words and phrases that DS says were not taught. DS ponders over dictionaries for answers (very time consuming and can be quite frustrating). Later, teacher runs through the notes with the class after marking. Not sure whether this process actually helps in memory retention. Could anyone enlighten on the logic behind this approach?

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Way2GO » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

syshi, I think u are being over anxious about your DS's ability to cope and his progress.
I remembered that GEP HOD at CH was very approachable during the Open House. If you are uncomfortable with the method of teaching, why don't you have a word with her?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wiimum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:30 am

syshi wrote:
KSmom8 wrote:Am looking forward to the day when he will be more independent. See some improvement recently ... he searches for information on the internet himself, uses the dictionary (especially chinese dictionaries) more frequently, studies for tests by himself without my prompting.

For my DS's classmate, seems like some of them are 'spoilt'... quite rowdy in class... compare to the other class which is more 'discipline'...
heard that next wednesday the VP Academic and HOD Chinese will visit DS's class... some rumours said that GEP Branch people also coming down... not sure whether it's true...

Was there last Chinese New Year. Helped in the Lo Hei for DS's class... Saw that the form teacher very fierce, but the boys not scared...

I understand your concern about the teacher's approach. But look from the teacher's perspective. If the class is rowdy like you described, I am sure the teacher(s) are really having a headache trying to rein in the students. Imagine a class of 25 very smart boys who is constantly challenging the teachers : I believe it will be quite difficult task to manage and teach at the same time. Just my 2 cts.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am

Way2GO wrote:syshi, I think u are being over anxious about your DS's ability to cope and his progress.
I remembered that GEP HOD at CH was very approachable during the Open House. If you are uncomfortable with the method of teaching, why don't you have a word with her?

The previous GEP HOD step down to become Senior Teacher. Highlighted the non-explaining during the first briefing. Later part found out that the TR quite 'siong', so worried about my DS's performance. Found out till now nothing change...
So either the coordinator did not inform TR or the TR bochap...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:18 am

wiimum wrote:
syshi wrote:

I understand your concern about the teacher's approach. But look from the teacher's perspective. If the class is rowdy like you described, I am sure the teacher(s) are really having a headache trying to rein in the students. Imagine a class of 25 very smart boys who is constantly challenging the teachers : I believe it will be quite difficult task to manage and teach at the same time. Just my 2 cts.

Yup... understand the form TR which was having a difficult time managing those boys. But do not understand the schools approach. When student naughty, instead of punishing them, the whole class got punished. All got scolding. My DS actually commented that since all will be punished, might as well he become naughty else get scolding for nothing. Tried holding him back so far. DS normally attentive and dare not play during class time.

Not sure how they allocate the classes. Even DS's classmate actually commented among themselves that they are the 'lower class' compare to the other GEP class. That's why whole class always get punished and scolded. But during the previous briefing with P, he dismiss this question from one of the parents...
I told DS that maybe cause the classmate are naughty, hence TR have tendency to scold them.

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 am

KSmom8 wrote:Glad to know that I am not alone!

Personally think that the 'homework overload' was too much too soon, the kids are still adjusting to the new sch environment and programme. However, I recognise that it also means that the teachers are committed cos they are willing to mark more!! So am thankful for that. I'm noticing that DS is slowly learning to prioritise his homework. Maybe it just takes time for the kids to adjust?

DS also does this for Chinese notes - teacher teaches some words in class but the worksheet has so many other words and phrases that DS says were not taught. DS ponders over dictionaries for answers (very time consuming and can be quite frustrating). Later, teacher runs through the notes with the class after marking. Not sure whether this process actually helps in memory retention. Could anyone enlighten on the logic behind this approach?

For my personal opinion, I feel that homework should be to enhance their learning. To revise what they learn in school so that it will be in their memory better. Not the other way which do homework first before explaining. It will defeat the purpose of studying.

For my DS's Chinese teacher also very strict. But what I heard that she will spend more time for those boy who failed. She will get them to stay back and coached them. At the same time get them to retake the test. Some of those boys came from normal Chinese, whereas current school is Higher Chinese.

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby keroppi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 am

syshi wrote:Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. My DS also attentive in school. Teachers always commented that he's very quite as he paid attention in class... but now always tell me that the teacher didn't explain... always lost and ended up have to coach him myself..

DS said that the maths teacher usually will not teach first and let the kids attempt the questions ... those who can will share their knowledge with other who can't. And those who still cannot understand their peers will approach the teacher for help. The teacher will then teach this small group who "don't get it". My DS finds this approach fun and refreshing.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres