Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:28 am

syshi wrote:For my personal opinion, I feel that homework should be to enhance their learning. To revise what they learn in school so that it will be in their memory better. Not the other way which do homework first before explaining. It will defeat the purpose of studying.

hi syshi,
I think the gep Maths teacher has their method of teaching this group of 'higher ability' kids..In my ds school, they also has to do a lot of maths worksheets..almost everyday they has a maths worksheet to do at home..initially I was also very anxious to help him in those sum which he was unable to do but he 'refuse' to let me help as he said the Maths teacher will teach them how to do the sums in class ... While it is hard to say which class is better even if they were to be splitted according to the gep screening test result that doesn't imply that the better results gepers will perform better in the p4 to p6 ge programs. So if you (and or other parents of your ds classmates) are so concern about progress of the kids, probably have a good talk with the hod ( no fight no fight)...ultimately all of you would want your kids to benefit from the ge programmes and now most of the kids are still in the 'adapting' period of the programme..so just guide them along so that they can get use to it soon.... otherwise the 'victims' would be the kids...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 am

Does anyone here know the P4 GEP common test format for all the subjects? I don't think I have ever been briefed on them at all? Any parent care to share the test fomat? TIA.

You see, I am so blur, today is his CT for Chinese and I am assuming that it is same as mainstream. Now think of it, could be different. Anyone know?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 am

Zann wrote:Does anyone here know the P4 GEP common test format for all the subjects? I don't think I have ever been briefed on them at all? Any parent care to share the test fomat? TIA.

You see, I am so blur, today is his CT for Chinese and I am assuming that it is same as mainstream. Now think of it, could be different. Anyone know?

hi Zann, I couldn't remember the format but normally before the CT the subject teacher will let them do past yr papers that is of similar format to the CT. So watch out for it ..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:13 pm

keroppi wrote:
DS said that the maths teacher usually will not teach first and let the kids attempt the questions ... those who can will share their knowledge with other who can't. And those who still cannot understand their peers will approach the teacher for help. The teacher will then teach this small group who "don't get it". My DS finds this approach fun and refreshing.

keroppi, can share which school is yr ds/dd in?

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:24 pm

syshi wrote: The previous GEP HOD step down to become Senior Teacher. Highlighted the non-explaining during the first briefing. Later part found out that the TR quite 'siong', so worried about my DS's performance. Found out till now nothing change...
So either the coordinator did not inform TR or the TR bochap...

syshi wrote:..Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. ..If this is the approach, I wonder whether the children can understand those maths? ....Can anyone clarify whether is this the approach for GEP curiculum teaching? ...

keroppi wrote:DS said that the maths teacher usually will not teach first and let the kids attempt the questions ... those who can will share their knowledge with other who can't. And those who still cannot understand their peers will approach the teacher for help. The teacher will then teach this small group who "don't get it". My DS finds this approach fun and refreshing....

syshi, my ds's maths tr has the same approach as mentioned by keroppi.
Just the other day, I found out only in the morning before he left for school that he had only completed one out of five questions in his Maths worksheet. Scolded him for leaving his work late; he replied he have some idea but didn't know how to do it :roll: :? .
I checked back with him when he returned from school. He said he completed all and handed up the worksheet already.
I asked how?
He said checked with his classmates and they shared knowledge.
The only question that the Maths tr explained in class was Q5 that many of them don't know how to tackle. That was it!
Did it worry me?
It would if I think the teachers don't know what they are doing.
But I would like to think there is a method to this approach - to encourage self learning and discovery amongst students,
which is not a bad thing.

I understand that the GEP HODs from all nine centres meet regularly in MOE.
If keroppi's kid is not from my ds's school,
then it is very plausible this is a common teaching method for Maths in all GEP centres.
Perhaps parents from GEP centres other than CH, NYPS can confirm?
That could help ease your anxiety somewhat, yeah :lol:

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm

My DS's teacher has similar approach as what you have described. We had a PT conference this week and feedback from the Maths teacher, is that they will cover the mainstream topic very quickly, then they will stretch their syllabus beyond and in depth.

The method of teaching in GEP is alot on self learning, encouraging the kids to explore beyond their classroom teaching and to think out of the box. You will be surprise how resourceful the kids can be. I had similar anxiety when my DS was in P4, and both the kid and ourselves needs to do the adjustment. We survived! :celebrate:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 pm

TwaTau wrote:My DS's teacher has similar approach as what you have described. We had a PT conference this week and feedback from the Maths teacher, is that they will cover the mainstream topic very quickly, then they will stretch their syllabus beyond and in depth.

The method of teaching in GEP is alot on self learning, encouraging the kids to explore beyond their classroom teaching and to think out of the box. You will be surprise how resourceful the kids can be. I had similar anxiety when my DS was in P4, and both the kid and ourselves needs to do the adjustment. We survived! :celebrate:

hi twatau your kid in p5 this year? If he is, does he has any science homework to do? I seldom see my son doing science homework plus the science teacher is on reservist so currently the pupils are taught by relief teacher...so kind of worryyy... :?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:21 pm

vlim wrote:hi twatau your kid in p5 this year? If he is, does he has any science homework to do? I seldom see my son doing science homework plus the science teacher is on reservist so currently the pupils are taught by relief teacher...so kind of worryyy... :?

My DS is in P5. The following is the conversation:

Me: Son, you got science homework? I don't seem to see you doing it at home?
Son: Yeah!
Me: Really I don't recall seeing in doing science homework.
Son: I did them in the afternoon when you are not at home.
Me: What is cover so far?
Son: Reproduction!
Me: I remember you told me photosynthesis.
Son: Oh yeah, that as well!
Me: So, not much homework?
Son: Did them mostly in school!

Vomit blood! :stupid: This is all that I can extract out from him, hope it helps! :clubmyself:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm

TwaTau wrote:
vlim wrote:hi twatau your kid in p5 this year? If he is, does he has any science homework to do? I seldom see my son doing science homework plus the science teacher is on reservist so currently the pupils are taught by relief teacher...so kind of worryyy... :?

My DS is in P5. The following is the conversation:

Me: Son, you got science homework? I don't seem to see you doing it at home?
Son: Yeah!
Me: Really I don't recall seeing in doing science homework.
Son: I did them in the afternoon when you are not at home.
Me: What is cover so far?
Son: Reproduction!
Me: I remember you told me photosynthesis.
Son: Oh yeah, that as well!
Me: So, not much homework?
Son: Did them mostly in school!

Vomit blood! :stupid: This is all that I can extract out from him, hope it helps! :clubmyself:

haaa...thanks ...I think my ds should be experiencing the same thing as your ds... today just saw him doing a 'plant reproduction homework'. They don't seem to have much science notes given plus they don't go thru the science text book(similar to that of mainstream) though we were told to buy (from the gep p5 book list)....By the way has your son start doing the IDP..i saw the lists in his file but he said do not need to start doing now....so another worry..maybe he has the wrong info... :| He didn't go to school for the past 2 days because of high fever and flu luckily recover fast even to go to school today to take the HCL unit test... :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bronzy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 pm

syshi wrote:Not sure how they allocate the classes. Even DS's classmate actually commented among themselves that they are the 'lower class' compare to the other GEP class.

In my DD's school, the allocation was based on the students MT. All those doing higher chinese were put in one class and the rest are in the other class.

Have not found any improvement in my DDs attitude to work. The Family Tree project and write up has been a project management nightmare as all work left to the last minute then have to scramble to complete.

Have not had any adverse feeback from my DD on her maths classes. After reading all your comments, will try to find out more.

Bronzy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge