Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby TwaTau » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:18 am

vlim wrote:haaa...thanks ...I think my ds should be experiencing the same thing as your ds... today just saw him doing a 'plant reproduction homework'. They don't seem to have much science notes given plus they don't go thru the science text book(similar to that of mainstream) though we were told to buy (from the gep p5 book list)....By the way has your son start doing the IDP..i saw the lists in his file but he said do not need to start doing now....so another worry..maybe he has the wrong info... :| He didn't go to school for the past 2 days because of high fever and flu luckily recover fast even to go to school today to take the HCL unit test... :wink:

Was told during the PT meeting that the science textbook that we have purchase is for leisure reading only. :moneyflies: As for IDP, what is it huh? I am aware of Individualised Study Options (ISO) under which they have the following:
Individualised Research Studies (IRS)
Innovation Programme (IvP)
Future Problem Solving Program (FPSP)

They are suppose to make their choice beginning of the year. DS opt for FPSP, but yeah, have not started on it also. The teacher mentioned that they will need to start soon, probably during the March break.

His school actually put up the briefing material on their website, maybe it will be helpful to the rest of this forum.

http://www.henryparkpri.moe.edu.sg/wbn/slot/u1878/P5%20GEP%20Parents%20Briefing%20Presentation%202010.ppt

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:31 am

Hi twatou,
IDP stand for interest driven project and it is under the science subject. It also has a dateline for submission..if I did not remember wrongly it is abt end this month. It is different from the ISO project. Anyway my son is doing ivp. For the English erp list assignement which they have to write something related to a chosen 'detective' story, the submission dateline is 29/3 (if I am not wrong). But my ds also said cannot start doing it yet as teacher still has not finished briefing them .... :|

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 am

btw, for ivp, every friday my ds has to stay back in school for the 'ivp' lessons...I suppose it is the same for other gep school..I think they are still having 'brainstorming' or 'discussing' on the topics that the students would want to work on..and my ds is pairing up with a friend to do the ivp. They can choose to do it individually, in group of 2 or 3.
No PT meeting so far....but I suppose the teachers would guide the kids accordingly.... :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 am

Bronzy wrote:
syshi wrote:Not sure how they allocate the classes. Even DS's classmate actually commented among themselves that they are the 'lower class' compare to the other GEP class.

In my DD's school, the allocation was based on the students MT. All those doing higher chinese were put in one class and the rest are in the other class.

Have not found any improvement in my DDs attitude to work. The Family Tree project and write up has been a project management nightmare as all work left to the last minute then have to scramble to complete.

Have not had any adverse feeback from my DD on her maths classes. After reading all your comments, will try to find out more.

Thanks... at least slowly understand the GEP (?) teaching approach...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:04 am

keroppi wrote:
syshi wrote:Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. My DS also attentive in school. Teachers always commented that he's very quite as he paid attention in class... but now always tell me that the teacher didn't explain... always lost and ended up have to coach him myself..

If this is the approach, I wonder whether the children can understand those maths? Wonder whether it's the right decision to let him join GEP. Can anyone clarify whether is this the approach for GEP curiculum teaching?

DS said that the maths teacher usually will not teach first and let the kids attempt the questions ... those who can will share their knowledge with other who can't. And those who still cannot understand their peers will approach the teacher for help. The teacher will then teach this small group who "don't get it". My DS finds this approach fun and refreshing.

Hhhmm... here at this portion, I'm a bit worried. If the children just copy each other, the teacher won't know. And there won't be anymore explanation... Understand some teacher might not even teach those 'small group' as it is minority compared to the rest..

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 am

syshi wrote:
keroppi wrote:
syshi wrote:Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. My DS also attentive in school. Teachers always commented that he's very quite as he paid attention in class... but now always tell me that the teacher didn't explain... always lost and ended up have to coach him myself..

If this is the approach, I wonder whether the children can understand those maths? Wonder whether it's the right decision to let him join GEP. Can anyone clarify whether is this the approach for GEP curiculum teaching?

DS said that the maths teacher usually will not teach first and let the kids attempt the questions ... those who can will share their knowledge with other who can't. And those who still cannot understand their peers will approach the teacher for help. The teacher will then teach this small group who "don't get it". My DS finds this approach fun and refreshing.

Hhhmm... here at this portion, I'm a bit worried. If the children just copy each other, the teacher won't know. And there won't be anymore explanation... Understand some teacher might not even teach those 'small group' as it is minority compared to the rest..

anyway my ds did not mention to me that their maths lessons are carried out in this way..what I heard from him is that the teacher will go through with them the answer in class.. so for those qns that he done wrongly or doesn't know how to do, I always saw him wrote down the working in green pen which I supposed the working and answer were given by the teacher.
Last edited by vlim on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 am

vlim wrote:Hi twatou,
IDP stand for interest driven project and it is under the science subject. It also has a dateline for submission..if I did not remember wrongly it is abt end this month. It is different from the ISO project. Anyway my son is doing ivp. For the English erp list assignement which they have to write something related to a chosen 'detective' story, the submission dateline is 29/3 (if I am not wrong). But my ds also said cannot start doing it yet as teacher still has not finished briefing them .... :|

Oh, was not aware of this one, MOE is very fond of abbreviation, and they really lost me, :shock: Will need to go back home and dig it out from my DS. He was checking with me on chemical equation for photosynthesis the other day, maybe that is part of this. Science and Maths is my least worry for my DS, it is the languages that put me on edge with my DS. He only read fictional books to complete his assignment and I believe the detective story was one of the assignment. I think he has already did a draft of this, again I say think, sometimes I felt guilty that I am not paying more attention to him. :oops: They are at this stage of their life where they need you sometimes and in other times when they want you to give them more room, :faint:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:14 am

vlim wrote:
syshi wrote:For my personal opinion, I feel that homework should be to enhance their learning. To revise what they learn in school so that it will be in their memory better. Not the other way which do homework first before explaining. It will defeat the purpose of studying.

hi syshi,
I think the gep Maths teacher has their method of teaching this group of 'higher ability' kids..In my ds school, they also has to do a lot of maths worksheets..almost everyday they has a maths worksheet to do at home..initially I was also very anxious to help him in those sum which he was unable to do but he 'refuse' to let me help as he said the Maths teacher will teach them how to do the sums in class ... While it is hard to say which class is better even if they were to be splitted according to the gep screening test result that doesn't imply that the better results gepers will perform better in the p4 to p6 ge programs. So if you (and or other parents of your ds classmates) are so concern about progress of the kids, probably have a good talk with the hod ( no fight no fight)...ultimately all of you would want your kids to benefit from the ge programmes and now most of the kids are still in the 'adapting' period of the programme..so just guide them along so that they can get use to it soon.... otherwise the 'victims' would be the kids...

Based on the feedback here, seems like that's the GEP approach. But what I worried is that not all practicing the reviewing of those materials not all understand. Don't really want to raise with HOD cause not sure whether they will take it 'sportively'. If not, later my DS will suffer...
So tried coaching him for those he did not understand..

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 am

Way2GO wrote:
syshi wrote: The previous GEP HOD step down to become Senior Teacher. Highlighted the non-explaining during the first briefing. Later part found out that the TR quite 'siong', so worried about my DS's performance. Found out till now nothing change...
So either the coordinator did not inform TR or the TR bochap...

syshi wrote:..Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. ..If this is the approach, I wonder whether the children can understand those maths? ....Can anyone clarify whether is this the approach for GEP curiculum teaching? ...

keroppi wrote:DS said that the maths teacher usually will not teach first and let the kids attempt the questions ... those who can will share their knowledge with other who can't. And those who still cannot understand their peers will approach the teacher for help. The teacher will then teach this small group who "don't get it". My DS finds this approach fun and refreshing....

syshi, my ds's maths tr has the same approach as mentioned by keroppi.
Just the other day, I found out only in the morning before he left for school that he had only completed one out of five questions in his Maths worksheet. Scolded him for leaving his work late; he replied he have some idea but didn't know how to do it :roll: :? .
I checked back with him when he returned from school. He said he completed all and handed up the worksheet already.
I asked how?
He said checked with his classmates and they shared knowledge.
The only question that the Maths tr explained in class was Q5 that many of them don't know how to tackle. That was it!
Did it worry me?
It would if I think the teachers don't know what they are doing.
But I would like to think there is a method to this approach - to encourage self learning and discovery amongst students,
which is not a bad thing.

I understand that the GEP HODs from all nine centres meet regularly in MOE.
If keroppi's kid is not from my ds's school,
then it is very plausible this is a common teaching method for Maths in all GEP centres.
Perhaps parents from GEP centres other than CH, NYPS can confirm?
That could help ease your anxiety somewhat, yeah :lol:

Yup.. thanks...
Agree on the self learning and discovery amongst students. Worried that they use shortcut by copying instead of finding out or understanding...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:43 am

Way2GO wrote:
syshi wrote: The previous GEP HOD step down to become Senior Teacher. Highlighted the non-explaining during the first briefing. Later part found out that the TR quite 'siong', so worried about my DS's performance. Found out till now nothing change...
So either the coordinator did not inform TR or the TR bochap...

syshi wrote:..Quite strange that the Math teacher use same approach. ..If this is the approach, I wonder whether the children can understand those maths? ....Can anyone clarify whether is this the approach for GEP curiculum teaching? ...

keroppi wrote:DS said that the maths teacher usually will not teach first and let the kids attempt the questions ... those who can will share their knowledge with other who can't. And those who still cannot understand their peers will approach the teacher for help. The teacher will then teach this small group who "don't get it". My DS finds this approach fun and refreshing....

syshi, my ds's maths tr has the same approach as mentioned by keroppi.
Just the other day, I found out only in the morning before he left for school that he had only completed one out of five questions in his Maths worksheet. Scolded him for leaving his work late; he replied he have some idea but didn't know how to do it :roll: :? .
I checked back with him when he returned from school. He said he completed all and handed up the worksheet already.
I asked how?
He said checked with his classmates and they shared knowledge.
The only question that the Maths tr explained in class was Q5 that many of them don't know how to tackle. That was it!
Did it worry me?
It would if I think the teachers don't know what they are doing.
But I would like to think there is a method to this approach - to encourage self learning and discovery amongst students,
which is not a bad thing.

I understand that the GEP HODs from all nine centres meet regularly in MOE.
If keroppi's kid is not from my ds's school,
then it is very plausible this is a common teaching method for Maths in all GEP centres.
Perhaps parents from GEP centres other than CH, NYPS can confirm?
That could help ease your anxiety somewhat, yeah :lol:

According to kid, the teacher will cover basic concepts of a new topic. However, students will be left alone to do their worksheets. They will exchange their worksheets with classmates for marking (use purple pen to mark). Green for correction.

I understand that they go thro answers and not solutions. (This is what my kid say, not sure if kid is mistaken in any way.)

Usually, the teacher will ask the students if they have any questions or problems relating to the worksheet. If nobody raise any problem, case will be closed.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres