Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:24 am

cluelessmama wrote:According to kid, the teacher will cover basic concepts of a new topic. However, students will be left alone to do their worksheets. They will exchange their worksheets with classmates for marking (use purple pen to mark). Green for correction.

I understand that they go thro answers and not solutions. (This is what my kid say, not sure if kid is mistaken in any way.)

Usually, the teacher will ask the students if they have any questions or problems relating to the worksheet. If nobody raise any problem, case will be closed.

Hhmmm... seems like quite dangerous if the kids don't dare to ask question. They won't know the working flow / solutions. Only the answer....

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am

vlim wrote:anyway my ds did not mention to me that their maths lessons are carried out in this way..what I heard from him is that the teacher will go through with them the answer in class.. so for those qns that he done wrongly or doesn't know how to do, I always saw him wrote down the working in green pen which I supposed the working and answer were given by the teacher.

I think this is the right approach from GE Branch... but not sure that all the GEP schools / Teachers follow this method... I think most of them use shortcut instead... just give the answer without working...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 am

syshi wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:According to kid, the teacher will cover basic concepts of a new topic. However, students will be left alone to do their worksheets. They will exchange their worksheets with classmates for marking (use purple pen to mark). Green for correction.

I understand that they go thro answers and not solutions. (This is what my kid say, not sure if kid is mistaken in any way.)

Usually, the teacher will ask the students if they have any questions or problems relating to the worksheet. If nobody raise any problem, case will be closed.

Hhmmm... seems like quite dangerous if the kids don't dare to ask question. They won't know the working flow / solutions. Only the answer....

Just to add... They have to submit their "marked" worksheets to the teacher. So, am not too sure if teacher will identify those with problems and coach them individually.

My kid shared with me that sometimes my kid would "teach" her friend the difficult sums. I'm not sure if it's before submitting the worksheet or after marking it. - I think through peer teaching, kids learn faster and become more independent.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:54 am

cluelessmama wrote:
syshi wrote:

Just to add... They have to submit their "marked" worksheets to the teacher. So, am not too sure if teacher will identify those with problems and coach them individually.

My kid shared with me that sometimes my kid would "teach" her friend the difficult sums. I'm not sure if it's before submitting the worksheet or after marking it. - I think through peer teaching, kids learn faster and become more independent.

How confidence we are on peer teaching?
My DS last time in previous school always teach his friends if they don't understand. But heard from him that some other previous classmate very selfish. Don't want to share.
Like this also difficult...

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:18 pm

syshi wrote:
My DS last time in previous school always teach his friends if they don't understand. But heard from him that some other previous classmate very selfish. Don't want to share.

Actually, I don't believe this is the only method. I think this is just one of the methods.

For myself, I've always stressed to my kid that as long as she doesn't understand, she will have to ask - don't assume. I believe till now, she has been doing that.

For tricky or difficult questions, kid will usually work on it till she get a solution. Usually, she will check with me if that's the best way to solve a problem.

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
syshi wrote:

Actually, I don't believe this is the only method. I think this is just one of the methods.

For myself, I've always stressed to my kid that as long as she doesn't understand, she will have to ask - don't assume. I believe till now, she has been doing that.

For tricky or difficult questions, kid will usually work on it till she get a solution. Usually, she will check with me if that's the best way to solve a problem.

Yup... I'm pretty much involve if it's tricky or difficult question.. that's why sometimes concern when my DS frustratingly told me that the teacher has not teach, but were told to do the worksheet... :?

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmama » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:05 pm

syshi wrote:
cluelessmama wrote:
syshi wrote:

Yup... I'm pretty much involve if it's tricky or difficult question.. that's why sometimes concern when my DS frustratingly told me that the teacher has not teach, but were told to do the worksheet... :?

Don't worry too much. Actually, I prefer it this way coz 1)it challenges the young mind, - I enjoy the look on kid's face when she rushes out of the bathroom all wet, with a "Eureka" :idea: look on the facing, telling me that she believes that she has found the solution.

2)it allows me to keep track of what kid is doing in school.
:D

cluelessmama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:18 pm

cluelessmama wrote:
syshi wrote:

Don't worry too much. Actually, I prefer it this way coz 1)it challenges the young mind, - I enjoy the look on kid's face when she rushes out of the bathroom all wet, with a "Eureka" :idea: look on the facing, telling me that she believes that she has found the solution.

2)it allows me to keep track of what kid is doing in school.
:D

Thanks for sharing... will try to monitor the situation.. in the meantime, maybe get some mainstream book to let him practice..., advisable?

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby keroppi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm

syshi wrote:Yup.. thanks...
Agree on the self learning and discovery amongst students. Worried that they use shortcut by copying instead of finding out or understanding...

Sometimes there's more than just 1 way of solving a particular question - Good for them to brain storm and share and discover new methods or short cuts ... but not short cut by copying other's work :idea: ? Through this, they learn not to be so selfish and to mentor others ....

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby syshi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:26 pm

keroppi wrote:
syshi wrote:Yup.. thanks...
Agree on the self learning and discovery amongst students. Worried that they use shortcut by copying instead of finding out or understanding...

Sometimes there's more than just 1 way of solving a particular question - Good for them to brain storm and share and discover new methods or short cuts ... but not short cut by copying other's work :idea: ?

Yup... that's why for me will monitor whether my DS just copy or understand... previously thought the TR will do that... now seems like have to monitor myself.. thanks..

syshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP