Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby hquek » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 am

TwaTau wrote:I was wondering does any of your children need to spend alot of time on the computer for their homework? I mean do they need to do alot of typing work? My DS seems to have alot of homework that he needs to submit in typewritten form, and this includes English (Detective story for P5), Social Study, even Science for some of his research work! He had a short session of formal training in typing during his P3 days in his previous school. But he is still typing single finger.

Is there any place that offer typing training for kids? In this information age, to be fast in typing is really an essential tool to be more efficient.

hi twatau,

Just sharing my experience being someone who went from 'single-digiter' to '10-finger typist'. Classes are ok, but practice is what really counts. I had joined a school and what I got from there is to place your left hand fingers on 'asdf', right hand on ";lkj". Anything else stretch from the nearest finger - up down, left right. (Hope I'm making sense. :P)

I see some typing course software available from the library. Not sure if you want to try that out.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:57 am

TwaTau wrote:I was wondering does any of your children need to spend alot of time on the computer for their homework? I mean do they need to do alot of typing work? My DS seems to have alot of homework that he needs to submit in typewritten form, and this includes English (Detective story for P5), Social Study, even Science for some of his research work! He had a short session of formal training in typing during his P3 days in his previous school. But he is still typing single finger.

Is there any place that offer typing training for kids? In this information age, to be fast in typing is really an essential tool to be more efficient.

my ds can type pretty fast with both hands.. I think faster then me... he got this practise by playing mable story haaa... but his fingering is not the proper one...his fingers 'fly' all over the key board but it seems like it is his 'way' of typing.. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:57 am

hquek wrote:hi twatau,

Just sharing my experience being someone who went from 'single-digiter' to '10-finger typist'. Classes are ok, but practice is what really counts. I had joined a school and what I got from there is to place your left hand fingers on 'asdf', right hand on ";lkj". Anything else stretch from the nearest finger - up down, left right. (Hope I'm making sense. :P)

I see some typing course software available from the library. Not sure if you want to try that out.

Thanks. Actually that was how I self taught myself as well, looking at how the typist (there was still this profession when I started working) do their typing and try to monkey see monkey do. Yeah, there do have software out there that help you to practice the correct way of typing.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby TwaTau » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:21 am

vlim wrote:my ds can type pretty fast with both hands.. I think faster then me... he got this practise by playing mable story haaa... but his fingering is not the proper one...his fingers 'fly' all over the key board but it seems like it is his 'way' of typing.. :wink:

That's why we let them play games on the computer, right :wink: Homework is also plan in between games session for my kids at home!

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 pm

TwaTau wrote:That's why we let them play games on the computer, right :wink: Homework is also plan in between games session for my kids at home!

ahhhhhhh...my ds still say cannot start doing the detective story writeout..howww :cry: :cry: :cry: ...don't stop don't stop me i am gooing to call the teacher tomorrow to check whether is it true that it cannot start yet... :stupid:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pecalis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 pm

vlim wrote:ahhhhhhh...my ds still say cannot start doing the detective story writeout..howww :cry: :cry: :cry: ...don't stop don't stop me i am going to call the teacher tomorrow to check whether is it true that it cannot start yet... :stupid:

I also had to stop myself from sending emails to check with teacher why still cannot start certain things as required by project.

I can identify with you :)

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Gepkiddo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:37 pm

pecalis wrote:I also had to stop myself from sending emails to check with teacher why still cannot start certain things as required by project.

Although he can't start now, he CAN start planning what to write, plot, characters etc. BTW, which school is he from?

Gepkiddo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby TwaTau » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 pm

pecalis wrote:
vlim wrote:ahhhhhhh...my ds still say cannot start doing the detective story writeout..howww :cry: :cry: :cry: ...don't stop don't stop me i am going to call the teacher tomorrow to check whether is it true that it cannot start yet... :stupid:

I also had to stop myself from sending emails to check with teacher why still cannot start certain things as required by project.

Any update on the detective story writeup? With so many projects still outstanding, I think this March holiday is going to be interesting, :evil:

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Herbie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Anyone has any idea as to how many (est) projects per year, P4, P5 and P6?

:D

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lovemummy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Does anybody know whether should I buy assessment books for my DS to prepare for common test. which publisher is the most suitable? I couldn't find any assessment book just for geper.. Pls advise..thanks

Lovemummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge