Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby ApronMama » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:06 am

vlim wrote:the teacher said the result should be out in abt 2 weeks time as they have sent all the marked papers to ge branch for consolidation..i supposed only the best 30 can go for the master class,

From what I know it includes mainstream high ability students. Not all from GEP.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 am

ApronMama wrote:
vlim wrote:the teacher said the result should be out in abt 2 weeks time as they have sent all the marked papers to ge branch for consolidation..i supposed only the best 30 can go for the master class,

From what I know it includes mainstream high ability students. Not all from GEP.

oh ya ..i think I was told also..but the test only for p5 gep (and selected high ability students) right?...in p4 my ds did not take the test.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 am

vlim wrote:Other then finding from the teachers how he copes, I also get the chance to clarify with them some info about the projects or assignments that are yet to submit. :D I also checked with the Maths teacher how he did for the selection test for the maths master class.. :wink:

Tks Vlim...hee hee I noe I can count on u guys for good advice :wink:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:07 pm

cluelessmom wrote:
vlim wrote:Other then finding from the teachers how he copes, I also get the chance to clarify with them some info about the projects or assignments that are yet to submit. :D I also checked with the Maths teacher how he did for the selection test for the maths master class.. :wink:

Tks Vlim...hee hee I noe I can count on u guys for good advice :wink:

you are welcome :dancing:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:44 pm

cluelessmom wrote:Dear all,

My dd meet-the-parent session is due soon. My dd is in P5 tis yr. So I am just curious and wondering wat kinda of questions you guys wld ask during the meet to find out more abt our kids besides the usual academic performance and behaviour in school. Is it time to ask abt DSA and PSLE preparation? Hahaha KS syndrome.... Last yr, I was a lil' disapppointed to find out tat they arranged the meeting together with another parent and I was feeling kinda awkward and reserved. Hopefully, it will be a solo session tis yr....

This is what I have prepared for my P5 DS meet the parent session in early March. However, this session was more for general communication and we had very little time to talk to the teachers privately :rant: .

1. Method of teaching maths
2. science homework?
3. English emphasis
4. Reading - how to read more fictional
5. Chinese reading and teaching
6. social development
7. relationship with classmates
8. his behaviour in school

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 pm

ApronMama wrote:

30 is quite a big class

some school has only 20
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:30 is quite a big class

some school has only 20

oh no is 30 out of all the p5 gepers of all the 9 gep centres plus some students who have high ability in maths. So taking that there are 500 p5 gepers in all, 30 is not a big number....by the way maths master class is a 3 days event in the June holiday. :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:41 pm

vlim wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:30 is quite a big class

some school has only 20

oh no is 30 out of all the p5 gepers of all the 9 gep centres plus some students who have high ability in maths. So taking that there are 500 p5 gepers in all, 30 is not a big number....by the way maths master class is a 3 days event in the June holiday. :D

30 for that school alone

there are other schools with similar master class

but in any case, they have to be top in their own school in order to ace the competitions, as the second rounds of most math competitions are restricted to top scorers from the first round

example :RI's competition :- first round = 3000 participants, second round : 50 only
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:17 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:30 for that school alone

there are other schools with similar master class

but in any case, they have to be top in their own school in order to ace the competitions, as the second rounds of most math competitions are restricted to top scorers from the first round

example :RI's competition :- first round = 3000 participants, second round : 50 only

hi verykiasu2010,
I think we are refering to different activity..the one I refering is as follow:
Programme Description
The Masterclass is held over 3 days in the June holidays and is organised by the Gifted Education Branch. About 30 participants from the 9 primary centres will be selected to attend the Masterclass, based on their results in a selection test.

At the Masterclass, pupils will be exposed to advanced mathematics concepts in areas like Number Theory, Graph Theory and Combinatorics. There will be an emphasis on developing problem solving skills through interesting and challenging problems.

Target Group
Primary pupils who have high ability in Mathematics.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:22 am

Hi. My dd in P4 this year, and this thread has been a wealth of info. Thks to all parents for sharing.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge