GEP Assessment Books

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP Assessment Books

Postby kitkit » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm curious if there are assessment books in the market catering to revision for GEP common tests / exams.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Pls pardon my ignorance cos I'm new in this area... DS just started P4 GEP this year..

Thanks in advance.

kitkit
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: GEP Assessment Books

Postby blessmum4 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm

kitkit wrote:I'm curious if there are assessment books in the market catering to revision for GEP common tests / exams.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Pls pardon my ignorance cos I'm new in this area... DS just started P4 GEP this year..

Thanks in advance.

I saw GEP/maths Olympia assessment book in popular yesterday.

blessmum4
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby optimistforum » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:47 am

Good morning all

I have been frantically scouring the internet for GEP assesment books, and cannot find any. Can anyone recommend GEP standard books for English and General Ability, please.
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby blessmum4 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 am

optimistforum wrote:Good morning all

I have been frantically scouring the internet for GEP assesment books, and cannot find any. Can anyone recommend GEP standard books for English and General Ability, please.

If u want the books to prepare your kid for GEP selection test, then there isn't any. Anyway, it's not recommended to prepare he kids for GEP. Some of my DD classmates have problem completing their works as they can't gasp as fast as the GEPpers. On top of their academic struggles, they have lots of projects to complete. Even my DD who has no issue with homework has problem coping with the project loads.

And the English & GA is not the main key to GEP. They are there to ensure the kids are able to understand the language as maths qtn are in English and the GA is to test the kids ability to gasp concept.

blessmum4
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KSP » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:51 am

I feel that maturity, self-driven, self-motivated, ability to understand concept fast and in-depth with strong fondation of both Eng/Maths is the min requirements to survive in GEP. Otherwise, not only the child suffers the parents need to push very hard and worst case they may have to do all the work for the child.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby optimistforum » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:21 pm

KSP wrote:I feel that maturity, self-driven, self-motivated, ability to understand concept fast and in-depth with strong fondation of both Eng/Maths is the min requirements to survive in GEP. Otherwise, not only the child suffers the parents need to push very hard and worst case they may have to do all the work for the child.

I appreciate that, but there must be some books, or even online learning sites for this. Does anyone know of any useful resource, please?
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby laughingcat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm

There is seriously no books or assessment for GEP. It is a controlled setting by the MOE. If there is, there will be mayhem among the MOE educators.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:01 pm

laughingcat wrote:There is seriously no books or assessment for GEP. It is a controlled setting by the MOE. If there is, there will be mayhem among the MOE educators.

Whoah...this sounds quite deadly but you are right, no materials that can be bought.

Postby sleepy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:21 pm

No publishers would bother to publish assessment books for merely 1% of the cohort. Insufficient volume to cover their cost

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 am

Why would one need GEP material??

If your kid is able to handle academic stuff beyond his level, u can always expose him to material for a level or 2 higher. Take up MO training in school or outside or self study. Plenty of good science material in public libraries too. Like they said, the sky is the limit. You are not confined just because you are physically not in the GEP environment.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to GEP