GEP 2012 - Screening & Selection

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Post Reply
999happygolucky
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 23,

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by 999happygolucky » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:40 am

My 1st son is in GEP P5 this year. He was one of the top students in his school but once he went into GEP, he realised that they were many more cleverer boys than him. He takes it as healthy competition, which is what I want. Some kids just needs to be challenged intellectually and academically.

In my opinion, GEP offers much more opportunities for him. The curriculum especially English and Maths are very challenging. Standards are quite high but he enjoys it. Although Science topics are the same but the coverage is much more interesting and they do more process thinking, which I think will help in PSLE or even when they are in secondary school. They have more outings which stimulates their mind rather than just "sight seeing" trips.

My sons has 3 friends who have dropped out of GEP and went back into main stream. I just think that it needs a very unique boy or girl to enjoy GEP. Yes, it has its priviledges, it's prestigous.... but if your kid cannot take it, don't force them. I have seen boys who cry during the 1st 2 months in P4 but they seemed to have forgotted that tough period of life. They adopt the attitude, "if you can't beat them, join them"

Relax parents, let your child enjoy his childhood and let him cope on his own.

happygolucky

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 11393
Joined: Mon Mar 22,
Total Likes:108

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by jtoh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm

sunnymumsy wrote:
Just4Fun wrote:
jtoh wrote:[ That's not true. If the parent feels so strongly about placing the child back in mainstream, she can definitely do so. The choice is the parents'.
jtoh is correct. There are students that switched fr GEP back to mainstream in the midst of p4 program.
Will that be disruptive? They will either change school or change class, right? If can, that'd be good. Can let dd try awhile and see if she likes it... but it's not so nice of me to do that as well, it's wasting a space that another child can have. Hmmm.
You won't be denying another child of a place because there is no reserve list for GEP. But I would also caution you against 'trying GEP out'. Main reason being that some kids (and parents) can be mean. And if a child transfers out of GEP back into mainstream, some people will talk. If your child is selected for GEP and has not had any GEP prep classes and has been doing well in his old primary school, go in to GEP with confidence and enjoy the journey there. It's not easy but it is rewarding.

baobei
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jan 09,

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by baobei » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:51 pm

I wonder if GEP will be good for child who is not discipline to do classwork and homework even though child do not need help to complete these works?

jershejos
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 27,

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by jershejos » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:03 pm

I ever thot of prep my dd for the test but realise she's not cut for it so decided not to and just concentrate in maintaining her standard. Surprisingly she was selected for round 2. Interest is really a key point else it's suffering...

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Oct 07,

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by Picolo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:25 pm

jtoh wrote: You won't be denying another child of a place because there is no reserve list for GEP. But I would also caution you against 'trying GEP out'. Main reason being that some kids (and parents) can be mean. And if a child transfers out of GEP back into mainstream, some people will talk. If your child is selected for GEP and has not had any GEP prep classes and has been doing well in his old primary school, go in to GEP with confidence and enjoy the journey there. It's not easy but it is rewarding.
Based on the limited cases I know of, it is interestingly the truly gifted and therefore confident ones (in my observation & opinion) that transfer back to mainsteam for other reasons. Those who are not coping well try their best to 'hang on' since it's such a privilege to them to be able to join GEP...


bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Jul 10,
Total Likes:1

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by bebe » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 pm

I was contemplating if I shd sign for the prep class (as some of my gfs are signing up their kids) but my gal said "Aiyah..no need lah, being gifted mean you are born with it, it is natural talent that God gives you. If everyone can be gifted by going to classes, then it is not gifted liao." She puts me into the right perspective..lolz

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 3539
Joined: Mon Sep 07,
Total Likes:2

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by auntieM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

bebe wrote:I was contemplating if I shd sign for the prep class (as some of my gfs are signing up their kids) but my gal said "Aiyah..no need lah, being gifted mean you are born with it, it is natural talent that God gives you. If everyone can be gifted by going to classes, then it is not gifted liao." She puts me into the right perspective..lolz
Sounds good to me too.. ...I'm tempted to put DS for Prep class coz its nearby but better not de.. :smile:

sunnymumsy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Sep 27,

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by sunnymumsy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Will that be disruptive? They will either change school or change class, right? If can, that'd be good. Can let dd try awhile and see if she likes it... but it's not so nice of me to do that as well, it's wasting a space that another child can have. Hmmm.[/quote]

You won't be denying another child of a place because there is no reserve list for GEP. But I would also caution you against 'trying GEP out'. Main reason being that some kids (and parents) can be mean. And if a child transfers out of GEP back into mainstream, some people will talk. If your child is selected for GEP and has not had any GEP prep classes and has been doing well in his old primary school, go in to GEP with confidence and enjoy the journey there. It's not easy but it is rewarding.[/quote]

Thank u for the sound advice!! :wink:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16420
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:163

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Seriously, gep is not all that tough. The kids just need a lot of parents support emotionally and reassurance coz they will see less than perfect score during tests, assignments and project. The work and the process actually requires more maturity than intellect and personally, it's ok as long as they donch do that badly. By p6, I believe most will realise that they actually enjoy the different route.
Must have some faith in our kids. They may not be genius (which I donch think that's what moe is looking for) but they r good enough and are not selected by accident

Kiatkhim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 28,

Re: 2012 GEP Screening & Selection

Post by Kiatkhim » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 am

Majority in GEP are not selected by accidents.

However, i believe we do hear maybe one(or two?) incident where parents wondered why their children got selected and halfway choose to drop out of GEP due to coping difficulty.

Just have to be realistic and careful that all systems have their limitations especially when the selection process and criteria are not entirely transparent. Accident is rare but it may happen.

As responsible parents, exercise our judgement when making or supporting a decision that is best for our children.

Post Reply