GEP - General Syllabus Discussion

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP - General Syllabus Discussion

Postby GiftedGem » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 am

Hi parents, if your child is currently in GEP P4, I would like to hear from you. My girl is in GEP P4 currently. Personally, this will be a good source of information exchange to comprehend what projects that they are tasked to do for Sci or Social Studies or Examinable topics to cover to Math, or any other areas. Seems like different schools have different approaches in terms of marking. Cheers.
Last edited by GiftedGem on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am
Total Likes: 19


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby Just4Fun » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 am

GiftedGem wrote:Hi parents, if your child is currently in GEP P4, I would like to hear from you. My girl is in GEP P4 currently. Personally, this will be a good source of information exchange to comprehend what projects that they are tasked to do for Sci or Social Studies or Examinable topics to cover to Math, or any other areas. Seems like different schools have different approaches in terms of marking. Cheers.


I am getting very worried. With exam just round the corner, DS hardly able to start much revision. Esply on wkdays, by the day we return home & finish our dinner, it is almost 8pm ! He will be busy with project or daily assignment , hence no much time left for any self revision.

Also, other than photo-journey, I hv not seen any returned mark yet fr any work done yet . I am really cluesless how my DS is getting along . Are u parents facing the same problem ? Pls share ....

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:29 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby dagong99 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 am

Just4Fun wrote:
GiftedGem wrote:Hi parents, if your child is currently in GEP P4, I would like to hear from you. My girl is in GEP P4 currently. Personally, this will be a good source of information exchange to comprehend what projects that they are tasked to do for Sci or Social Studies or Examinable topics to cover to Math, or any other areas. Seems like different schools have different approaches in terms of marking. Cheers.


I am getting very worried. With exam just round the corner, DS hardly able to start much revision. Esply on wkdays, by the day we return home & finish our dinner, it is almost 8pm ! He will be busy with project or daily assignment , hence no much time left for any self revision.

Also, other than photo-journey, I hv not seen any returned mark yet fr any work done yet . I am really cluesless how my DS is getting along . Are u parents facing the same problem ? Pls share ....


Same here, by the time we are home & finish dinner, it's usually 8 pm but DS2 doesn't seem to be very busy. Probably because he has done all his homework in the student care in school. DS2 also told me most of the work is done in class, so not much homework. Anyway, he seldom studies for his exams, the first thing he does when he's back home is to play with the ipad ... :shrug: But he does bring home his marked worksheets, esp when the teachers need to check his filing or require parent's signature on mock tests, etc.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:38 am
Total Likes: 5


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby GiftedGem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 am

Personally, it has never been easy for working parents as I am also one of them. Din have the time to teach her. Frankly, the Social Studies and Sci projects are taking too much of the time. Alone last weekend, my girl was swarmed with Sci Performance Task - Design Ice Box (due on 25/4)which she burnt her weekend to finish this project.

On top of that, there were Chinese and Eng Mock Test Papers to complete as well. She finds both the papers are manageable but not for Sci.

Don't understand why the teachers gave out so late, knowing that the common tests are around the corner which parents want to spend more time teaching, rather than spending time to do these mock papers at home.




My girl rec'd the Photo Journal w Oral Presentation ( which is 40 marks ) but I compared to Nanyang, theirs is only 20 marks. Her Book Review has also been marked. The 1st term for Social Studies - the project on Family Tree, till now it is still unknown.

A no. of her classmates go for tuitions and I am wondering I should also be heading to that direction as currently, she is doing it on her own independently.

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am
Total Likes: 19


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby Just4Fun » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:37 am

GiftedGem wrote:Personally, it has never been easy for working parents as I am also one of them. Din have the time to teach her. Frankly, the Social Studies and Sci projects are taking too much of the time. Alone last weekend, my girl was swarmed with Sci Performance Task - Design Ice Box (due on 25/4)which she burnt her weekend to finish this project.

On top of that, there were Chinese and Eng Mock Test Papers to complete as well. She finds both the papers are manageable but not for Sci.

Don't understand why the teachers gave out so late, knowing that the common tests are around the corner which parents want to spend more time teaching, rather than spending time to do these mock papers at home.




My girl rec'd the Photo Journal w Oral Presentation ( which is 40 marks ) but I compared to Nanyang, theirs is only 20 marks. Her Book Review has also been marked. The 1st term for Social Studies - the project on Family Tree, till now it is still unknown.

A no. of her classmates go for tuitions and I am wondering I should also be heading to that direction as currently, she is doing it on her own independently.


Ice Box thing.. due this friday. done over the wkends but was rejected cos it has to be totally hand-written... Hence hv to redo ( hmm.. how to squeeze in the time )

Photo Journal w Oral Presentation : 20marks each, hence total 40.
DS was to rush thr the presentation cos it was stated 5min ( or 3? can't remember ) but he felt unfair as others even dragged to > 10min and got high marks ! Looks like the given criteria wasn't followed strictly depending on the teacher .

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:29 pm
Total Likes: 3



Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby mickeyhmh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:47 am

Am FTWM too. DS1 goes to SC after school & tries to finish his homework there as much as possible. Have been relying on DS1 to help himself & let us know when he needs help. No tuitions so far.....

Recently he's been complaining that he 'doesn't like school anymore'. Used to be happy to go to school in P1-P3. He's wept a couple of times at night saying 'xx bully him', 'teacher scold him', 'no friends in class'..... Had to sit down & talk to him to find out more. I find it's all part of growing up & being able to socialise more than someone specifically targetting him. Had to teach him how to handle different situations.

Project load still manageable, but time management is still big headache (for me!). Have to keep reminding him xxx is due next week, please work on it earlier. He'll say OK OK & continue reading his story book. :slapshead: :slapshead:

mickeyhmh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:12 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby GiftedGem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Just a check. Did tr allow slight modification on the design of Ice Box? One sch did not allow at all but my girl's tr says it is ok.

As for photo journal, the average score is abt 35. Lowest score is 30. Most of her classmates are articulative and well spoken. Very competitive.

She just gotten her Book Review which is 18/20. Whereas for the Maths Common Test Part 1, the average score is 42 and the class did well with no of them above 90% percentile. Next, for the Common Test Part 2, is the topic on nth term and investigation? My girl says so.

Btw, what is FTWM and DS stand for? Still couldn't figure out. Haha !

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am
Total Likes: 19


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby Just4Fun » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 pm

How do u define slight modification? I guess changing of material is NO-NO. Am not sure if it is ok to change the seq of the layers of material.
Anyone knows ?

DS = Dear Son
FTWM = Full Time Working Mum
DD = Dear Daughter
DH/ DW = Dear Husband / Wife resply

Just4Fun
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:29 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby GiftedGem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

To Just4fun : For icebox, I am surprised that it has to be handwritten cos my DD ( finally used this abbreviation ) typed it out for the Elaboration Part. Whereas for design, she did it handwritten. Using A3 size, half the page is for the design and the other half is the Elaboration Part indicating the Materials to use. As far as I know, it depends on what your DS has designed and labelled as. From what I noted, my DD did change 1 or 2 materials used which tr is ok. Suggest u ask yr DS to check w tr to be safe.

To dagong99 & mickeyhmh: I believe most of the parents (esp if your child is a 1st timer in GEP ) will experience the same sentiments. This is what my hubby and I are experiencing as well. New environment in the school , new classmates and not even have much chance to get to know the parents, accelerated school work which cannot be found in assessment books... except for Math. Somehow, we have gone thru the motion for past 4 mths already. Good to share so that we are in the right track. Cheers.

GiftedGem
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am
Total Likes: 19


Re: Information Exchange : GEP P4 (2012)

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:59 pm

GiftedGem wrote:On top of that, there were Chinese and Eng Mock Test Papers to complete as well. She finds both the papers are manageable but not for Sci.

Don't understand why the teachers gave out so late, knowing that the common tests are around the corner which parents want to spend more time teaching, rather than spending time to do these mock papers at home. .

Sorry to intrude as I am not a P4 GEP parent, my Kid is in P6 this year. Just like to share that those mock papers are Tr helping the kids to prepare for their CTs.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Next

Return to GEP