P5 - GEP English Paper

Academic support and discussions for GEP

P5 - GEP English Paper

Postby ichikutang » Thu May 05, 2011 6:04 pm

My DD who is P5 is having trouble with her GEP English. For mock papers, she only scores about 23/40. I'm getting very worried so if any of you know anything that can help her improve? I think partly why she's getting this type of mark is because her english teacher is so relaxed. She kept on going about the print ad task and she never prepare for CT until 1 week before exam!

ichikutang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: GEP English Paper

Postby davos » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi, I have two children who are in p6 and sec 1 this year. They have experienced similar set backs when they were in p4. They were attending lessons at the learning lab then but the scores remained average. However, they were advised by their teachers to read the newspapers more vigilantly and as a result, their scores improved gradually over the years.

davos
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ichikutang » Mon May 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I will encourage my daughter to read newspapers. Hope her scores will improve like your children. :)

ichikutang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby comfy » Mon May 16, 2011 6:30 pm

ichikutang wrote:My DD who is P5 is having trouble with her GEP English. For mock papers, she only scores about 23/40. I'm getting very worried so if any of you know anything that can help her improve? I think partly why she's getting this type of mark is because her english teacher is so relaxed. She kept on going about the print ad task and she never prepare for CT until 1 week before exam!

Did you check with your DD what is the avg , lowest, highest mark for her class? Did you talk to her EL teacher regarding her mark?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby AdvancedAcademia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:29 am

Please dont be discouraged by the "low" scores for the GEP test papers. The GEP papers are not easy and are designed to stretch the kids. If it was easy to get the high 30s then they will not GEP papers right?

Instead take a long term view, encourage further reading of various text-types or even encourage her to join a book club to discuss what she has learnt through her reading! This would help not only in the reading comprehension it would also help in the writing. Hope that helps!

AdvancedAcademia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 am

are there book club in singapore?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AdvancedAcademia » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:54 am

Herbie wrote:are there book club in singapore?

I know that the NLB does organise some book club readings however it is not differentiated to reading levels. If you are really serious about joining or forming a book club drop me a PM and I will provide more advise/info for you.

AdvancedAcademia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: P5 - GEP English Paper

Postby Miss Raja » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 pm

When preparing for GEP english paper, it is very important to provide your child with exercises according to what skills he/she is lacking. There are specific grammar skills and vocabulary criteria that child must have. If you do not know the problem, you cannot diagnose and make improvements and fast. Reading newspapers will of course be helpful but may be slow. Maybe if you can pm or email me her latest practice paper i can help you with what type of exercise the child needs.

Cheers
Miss Raja

Mod's Note:

Edit to remove links. Kindly take note for future postings.

Miss Raja
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mum101 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 am

ichikutang wrote:My DD who is P5 is having trouble with her GEP English. For mock papers, she only scores about 23/40. I'm getting very worried so if any of you know anything that can help her improve? I think partly why she's getting this type of mark is because her english teacher is so relaxed. She kept on going about the print ad task and she never prepare for CT until 1 week before exam!

Hi,

GEP English paper has only 2 sections - Cloze passage (no helping words) and Comprehension. You may want to identify which section your DD is not so good and lose marks. For my DS, I get him to do Sec 1 Comprehension and Cloze Passage. I find that the GEP English paper for P5 and P6 standard are similar to Sec 1 Comprehension and Cloze Passage. It works for my DS. He always get full mark or near full mark for Cloze and Comprehension is one of the highest in class.

We also subscribe Times, National Geographic, Junior National Geographic and Reader Digests magazines to keep up with his reading interest and helps building-up his general knowledge. He can become obsessive in reading them and I have to hide the new issues near exams or test period!

Start with doing Sec Comprehension exercises this Dec holiday. There are good assessment from Popular. Personally, I find assessment from EPH is good - they have comment column and explanatory notes for the child to read and learn the skills.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mum101
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Mum101 wrote:

Hi,

GEP English paper has only 2 sections - Cloze passage (no helping words) and Comprehension. You may want to identify which section your DD is not so good and lose marks. For my DS, I get him to do Sec 1 Comprehension and Cloze Passage. I find that the GEP English paper for P5 and P6 standard are similar to Sec 1 Comprehension and Cloze Passage. It works for my DS. He always get full mark or near full mark for Cloze and Comprehension is one of the highest in class.

We also subscribe Times, National Geographic, Junior National Geographic and Reader Digests magazines to keep up with his reading interest and helps building-up his general knowledge. He can become obsessive in reading them and I have to hide the new issues near exams or test period!

Start with doing Sec Comprehension exercises this Dec holiday. There are good assessment from Popular. Personally, I find assessment from EPH is good - they have comment column and explanatory notes for the child to read and learn the skills.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I think that kid completed PSLE liao!!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to GEP