GEP Selection Test

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP Selection Test

Postby annie23 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi

My DD is sitting for the GEP selection test in august. She is in the top 25% of her cohort and is quite strong in maths and her english is not too bad either. What are her chances of getting in?

annie23
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: GEP Selection Test

Postby Puzz...zzle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 am

If we didn't send DD for any GEP preperations class, what can we prepare her at this time ? ENG & Maths? What type of questions will be tested? Mummy feel panic now....

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:01 am

Puzz...zzle wrote:If we didn't send DD for any GEP preperations class, what can we prepare her at this time ? ENG & Maths? What type of questions will be tested? Mummy feel panic now....

IMHO we should NOT send our children to any GEP preparation classes. If they are "gifted" then, getting into GEP may be well and good. if they are not but managed to somehow squeeze in, they may suffer in GEP.

English and Maths will tested, together with 2 General Ability papers.

For sample of Maths qns, please go to page 5 of the All About GEP thread here.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby BeContented » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am

tankee wrote:
Puzz...zzle wrote:If we didn't send DD for any GEP preperations class, what can we prepare her at this time ? ENG & Maths? What type of questions will be tested? Mummy feel panic now....

IMHO we should NOT send our children to any GEP preparation classes. If they are "gifted" then, getting into GEP may be well and good. if they are not but managed to somehow squeeze in, they may suffer in GEP.

English and Maths will tested, together with 2 General Ability papers.

For sample of Maths qns, please go to page 5 of the All About GEP thread here.

Agree with tankee. GEP should be natural.....dun have to do anything, nothing to panic over, just let them go take the test :smile:

I have 2 kids identified by MOE as HA (High Ability) kids.....tho they didn't get into GEP, there are some programmes for them from P4-P6, be it via school, via cluster or events by GE dept. If given a chance to redo all over, I still will not go for GEP Prep class. Simple reason as stated by tankee, if somehow squeeze in, may suffer. I knew some GEP kids....they have a natural strong inquisitive desire to learn more, to get to the bottom and they simply absolutely love to read - widely too. Force that down HA kids (or my kids), think they'll be miserable. The work GEP kids do.....think not only my kids will cry, I will cry :laugh:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 am

Hi BeContented, just out of curiosity, were they identified as such from the GEP selection test? And MOE sent you a letter to inform that they are HA?

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BeContented » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:59 am

csb wrote:Hi BeContented, just out of curiosity, were they identified as such from the GEP selection test? And MOE sent you a letter to inform that they are HA?

Hi csb,
Yes, they were identified after the GEP round 2 test.

For school with their own resources, do not know if the child will get any letter, but I believe these HA kids will be identified and whenever there are extra programs, events etc meant for them, they are selected to go.

DD's new/transferred school did not inform DD...but I'm not sure if her other HA classmates received. For me, due to the transfer issue and some hiccup.....I made an enquiry to confirm with MOE. Subsequently, confirmed her status when she was selected to attend the activities.

For school lacking in resources, believe they will be grouped based on clusters. Eg. DS sch + a few other schools in the cluster had a Maths programme funded by MOE....so these HA kids will receive letter to consent and commit. It was via this letter that I knew he was a HA.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks BeContented!

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ForumWriter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:46 am

Don't prepare for the GEP selection test. I never did and never had tuition either. Just tell your kids (I assume you're the parent) to enjoy it and take it as a challenge.

The most important factor is: Make sure the kid is well rested before taking the test. There is no point in studying, it only serves to put additional stress on the kid.

ForumWriter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51 am

BeContented wrote:
csb wrote:Hi BeContented, just out of curiosity, were they identified as such from the GEP selection test? And MOE sent you a letter to inform that they are HA?

Hi csb,

For school with their own resources, do not know if the child will get any letter, but I believe these HA kids will be identified and whenever there are extra programs, events etc meant for them, they are selected to go.

DD's new/transferred school did not inform DD...but I'm not sure if her other HA classmates received. For me, due to the transfer issue and some hiccup.....I made an enquiry to confirm with MOE. Subsequently, confirmed her status when she was selected to attend the activities.

For school lacking in resources, believe they will be grouped based on clusters. Eg. DS sch + a few other schools in the cluster had a Maths programme funded by MOE....so these HA kids will receive letter to consent and commit. It was via this letter that I knew he was a HA.

there was official letter from school together with circular from MOE

they are identified from the round 2 GEP screening result

they get to participate in pull-out program of certain GEP modules after selection tests among the HA kids

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... -learners/
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:53 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:
BeContented wrote:

Hi csb,

there was official letter from school together with circular from MOE

they are identified from the round 2 GEP screening result

they get to participate in pull-out program of certain GEP modules after selection tests among the HA kids

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... -learners/

What does it mean by "schools with own resources"?

Do all identified HA kids get to attend Those pull-out program of certain GEP modules? How are these organized? Since all the HA students are all over sg, where/when are these programs carried out?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to GEP