Aristocare

Academic support and discussions for GEP

Did your child get into GEP after attending Aristocare

Yes
1
5%
No
19
95%
 
Total votes : 20

Aristocare

Postby janeng » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi I'm a reporter from Straits Times. Are there any parents whose kids had GEP tuition at Aristocare? Can pls mesg me as I'm doing a story on Kelvin Ong? thanks very much.

janeng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:30 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: GEP Assessment Books

Postby Singapura » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 am

janeng wrote:Hi I'm a reporter from Straits Times. Are there any parents whose kids had GEP tuition at Aristocare? Can pls mesg me as I'm doing a story on Kelvin Ong? thanks very much.


Articles Straits Times (Sunday Times) today 29/7/2012 page 8.

Singapura
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:43 am
Total Likes: 0


Aristocare

Postby jtoh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:46 am

Straits Times 29.7.12:

A private tutor charging high fees to help children get into the Gifted Education Programme (GEP) has been warned to stop telling lies about himself.
Mr Kelvin Ong Wee Loong, 36, has longclaimed that he was admitted into the gifted programme as a child and went on to be a teacher in the programme as well.
Now the Education Ministry has refuted those claims, saying it has checked and found no record that he was ever a pupil or teacher in the programme. Nor is he even a qualified teacher....

...This is not the first time that the ministry has taken issue with Mr Ong.
In 2010, it was alerted to AristoCare's website after it advertised the sale of the 2009 GEP Screening and Selection Test papers.
The ministry checked and found that those were not the actual papers. It subsequently alerted parents that there was a website giving the impression that it had past GEP papers for sale, but they were not genuine.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: Aristocare

Postby Singapura » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:56 am

jtoh wrote:Straits Times 29.7.12:

A private tutor charging high fees to help children get into the Gifted Education Programme (GEP) has been warned to stop telling lies about himself.
Mr Kelvin Ong Wee Loong, 36, has longclaimed that he was admitted into the gifted programme as a child and went on to be a teacher in the programme as well.
Now the Education Ministry has refuted those claims, saying it has checked and found no record that he was ever a pupil or teacher in the programme. Nor is he even a qualified teacher....

...This is not the first time that the ministry has taken issue with Mr Ong.
In 2010, it was alerted to AristoCare's website after it advertised the sale of the 2009 GEP Screening and Selection Test papers.
The ministry checked and found that those were not the actual papers. It subsequently alerted parents that there was a website giving the impression that it had past GEP papers for sale, but they were not genuine.


Actually it is quite bold too to advertise past year papers for sale. The copyright is held by the School/Ministry, right?

Singapura
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:43 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Aristocare

Postby Lynn2010 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 am

I have one of his books. I must say quite good. I think he should not need to lie.

In the book, about the author, it says:
"Mr. Kelvin Ong, the founder of Aristocare, is a NUS graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree, with a major in Double Mathematics and a Postgraduate Dip in Education. He has more than 12 years of teaching experience in a top school in Singapore. Over the years, he has groomed thousands of 'A' students with proven track record. He prepares students for the GEP screening and selection tests. PSLE, DSA, GAT, IB, IP, Math Olympiad, O & A level exam. He was featured on 28 Oct 07 & 25 Sep 10, Sunday Times and on 30 Sep 10, LianHe Wanbao."

He didnt mentioned if the "Postgrad Dip in Education" is from Singapore MOE.
I wonder what was featured in the papers.

If his claims are false, he should be asked to close his tuition centre!

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Total Likes: 1



Re: Aristocare

Postby tankee » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 am

Go read, he even blamed his mother for causing him to be mistaken that he was in GEP.

According to the news article, he was never a qualified MOE teacher nor a relief teacher at ACS, which he subsequently changed his claim to.

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: Aristocare

Postby jtoh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:10 am

Lynn2010 wrote:I have one of his books. I must say quite good. I think he should not need to lie.

In the book, about the author, it says:
"Mr. Kelvin Ong, the founder of Aristocare, is a NUS graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree, with a major in Double Mathematics and a Postgraduate Dip in Education. He has more than 12 years of teaching experience in a top school in Singapore. Over the years, he has groomed thousands of 'A' students with proven track record. He prepares students for the GEP screening and selection tests. PSLE, DSA, GAT, IB, IP, Math Olympiad, O & A level exam. He was featured on 28 Oct 07 & 25 Sep 10, Sunday Times and on 30 Sep 10, LianHe Wanbao."

He didnt mentioned if the "Postgrad Dip in Education" is from Singapore MOE.
I wonder what was featured in the papers.

If his claims are false, he should be asked to close his tuition centre!


Given that he lied about being a GEP student and a GEP teacher, and lied about having GEP test papers on his website and perpetuated these lies in his media interviews, I wonder if his claims to having an BSc degree and teaching experience are true. According to the article, he is not a qualified teacher, so likely his claims to having taught in a top school in Singapore for 12 years is a lie too.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: Aristocare

Postby jtoh » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:12 am

tankee wrote:Go read, he even blamed his mother for causing him to be mistaken that he was in GEP.

According to the news article, he was never a qualified MOE teacher nor a relief teacher at ACS, which he subsequently changed his claim to.


I find this the most laughable of all. He claims his mother told him he was from GEP and so he thought he was from GEP. He must have been one blur kid.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: Aristocare

Postby tankee » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:17 am

By the way, today's article in Straits Times was written by janeng (see first post).

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: Aristocare

Postby Lynn2010 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 am

tankee wrote:Go read, he even blamed his mother for causing him to be mistaken that he was in GEP.

According to the news article, he was never a qualified MOE teacher nor a relief teacher at ACS, which he subsequently changed his claim to.



Why blame is mother huh?? Where is the article? Good to have someone to take blame when something goes wrong!

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to GEP