Is your child happier in GEP school or his/her old school?

Academic support and discussions for GEP

Is your child happier in GEP school or his/her old school?

Postby baobei » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Would like to hear from parents whether your child enjoy himself or herself in the GEP school. Hopefully, you could share which school and what is in the school that make your child happy or unhappy. Thank you very much!

baobei
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Is your child happier in GEP school or his/her old schoo

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:03 pm

with the labeling comes the expectation and also hostility from the mainstreamers for whatever reasons.
I think there'll always be this suspicion the life would be much easier as a mainstreamer, which I doubt so coz many mainstreamers work even harder

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dnls_mum » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Frankly I think it depends on the child. Some thrive in the environment while other crumble under the pressure and expectations :shrug: Discuss with your child and let him/her have a part in the decision making.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Just relax » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 am

It really depends on the child's aptitude. I think if the child has a fondness for reading and does read a lot then GEP which has a number of projects which require good language skills is interesting. You will also have children who are average in languages whether Eng or MT but are brilliant in Science or Maths and they will still cope and enjoy because they do get pushed in their favorite subjects and thus learn more and enjoy class.

GEP allows a child to go beyond the mainstream and that is what is important. The learning skills and exposure adds interest and challenge to children who otherwise find mainstream work boring. Such children need the extra challenge or different stimulus to grow and be happy with school.

So look at your own child, try to understand what suits him and what he wants and then give him that opportunity whether in GEP or mainstream.

Just relax
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby iRabbit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Just saw this old thread. For my ds, he's definitely happier in his GEP school though he took some time to call it his own.

Don't get me wrong. He was happy in his old school (partly bcos he was blessed with good teachers). In GEP, the Math can be difficult and he simply loves those challenges.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iRabbit » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:40 pm

-

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Maple leaf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:34 pm

DS is happier than before as he made more friends. :smile:

Er...seems like attending enrichment classes? Slightly more challenging and faster pace but manageable. Meaning can pass lah.

He is happy as he continue to play at his spare time whole-heartily as if he is still in kindergarten, and even when exams are coming. No stress from schoolwork. :cry:

He only get stressed when we nagged him and confiscate his toys while he was playing, and asked him to do revision.

Maple leaf
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to GEP