Gep has any play time?

Academic support and discussions for GEP

Gep has any play time?

Postby Fusionmom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 am

How busy are Gep kids? We just moved from oz and trying to invite kids over to play and responses have been negative. The kids have to do homework or go coaching school. My ds says most of them goes coaching school. Any Gep p5 boys want to meet up for some RR time??

Fusionmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Gep has any play time?

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 am

Depends on the kids. Some, like mine, have the weekend reserved for enrichment and family time coz that's when the chauffeur, yours truly, is available. So if one has a few kids and all their classes are not synchronised, then the whole weekend can be occupied.

That being said, most of the time it's not the gep that eats up their time.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummyloves » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 am

My boy is in P4 this year... he says it's more relaxed and less homework compared to last year! But of course hw is now harder! :smile:

mummyloves
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KittyBin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 pm

If your child is coping well in the system, he will be able to find time to do other things like play, sports and sleep.
In fact, my son is doing a lot more of the above as compared to studying and revising at home. I believe 80% learning has taken place in the classroom and so examinations and tests are just a mere transfer of knowledge. There is a shift of mindset on my part to move away from heavy last minute preparations and you can still see his good results showing up.

If you are anxious and gave him many other enrichment classes, that's where he cannot find time and space for himself.

KittyBin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ragamuffin shinobi » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Generally, GEP doesn't really have much homework. My dd either says she finishes them in between lessons or just a few worksheets that can be done quite quickly (unless it's some difficult maths question). Projects are manageable as the deadlines are pretty long (at least for p4).
The kids usually will have time to pursue their own interest. Many in dd's class are avid readers, competitive in sport (a budding triathlete), kids who take part in music and dance and gymnastic at competitive levels etc. so yes, the kids will still have time to do their own things and relax.

Must admit that this was one of my concerns prior to joining GEP.

Ragamuffin shinobi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby scribbler » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Ahaha... If you should worry about anything in the GEP curriculum, it's not homework! :smile:
GEPers don't usually get a lot of homework unless it is near exam period, where they are given just slightly more practice papers. However, the homework is definitely more difficult and they will take more time to finish them. That said, many will manage to complete it in school, especially in P4.
Projects may be a little stressing sometimes as there are deadlines to work with along with homework. To any parent who has a GEPer, MAKE SURE THEY DON'T PROCRASTINATE! As long as they don't procrastinate, the deadlines should be manageable enough. (GEPers have a lot of projects as well as an extra tested subject -- Social Studies-- to study for. )
Otherwise, GEP life isn't really stressful. It gets way more tense in P6 when they switch back to mainstream curriculum and do drill after drill after drill, but that's not under the GEP package any more. XD So I encourage parents to send their child for GEP if they are given the opportunity. :)

scribbler
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to GEP