Opting out of GEP screening

Academic support and discussions for GEP

Opting out of GEP screening

Postby yap_susan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 am

Has any parent opted your child out? Why?

yap_susan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Opting out of GEP screening

Postby cherrygal » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:44 am

My SIL opted out for her gal. She felt it was unnecessary to go through the stress coz she didn't think her gal was "gifted" exceptionally. My niece does well enough in class but needs a lot of pushing and tuition.

My boy's school expects compulsory attendance though so no chance to opt out at all.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HVR » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Strictly it's not just the parents' choice. What if your Kids want to participate? Can we say no because daddy/mummy decides? I think no harm in letting our kids take the gep screening test. It's not a success or failure test, it's just serve to sieve out certain students who are suited for a more stretched and rigorous curriculum, that's all. Just don't distort this good intention of the GEP scheme by sending your kids for whatever GEP prep course.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:36 am

Yup, my SIL opted out for her gal after asking her gal if she wanted to go. My niece didn't want more exams (what do you expect kids to say? hehehe) of coz...

I am not sending my boy for any GEP prep classes... if he can get selected, so be it. If not, there's no loss either. DH and I were not selected for GEP last time so we don't have expectations. It's still possible to score well for PSLE without this label.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:26 am

Is it the first round or second round?

If it's the first round, it's done within curriculum time. Very few kids opt out of it, so if yours don't do the paper, he or she will be looked after by a teacher while waiting for the whole level to complete it. My take is: might as well just do it since time would be wasted not doing it.

The child can always opt out of the second round since parents have to take the kids to a GEP centre to take it if the child's school is not one.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby yap_susan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Oh, so it is done within curriculum time?
I heard some schools do it on Saturdays.

yap_susan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CMF » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 pm

yap_susan wrote:Oh, so it is done within curriculum time?

Yes, for 1st round it's conducted during curriculum time. 2nd round is during PSLE marking days. No harm taking the tests. Can still opt out of prog if make it thru 2nd round.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HyperKiasu » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 pm

CMF wrote:
yap_susan wrote:Oh, so it is done within curriculum time?

Yes, for 1st round it's conducted during curriculum time. 2nd round is during PSLE marking days. No harm taking the tests. Can still opt out of prog if make it thru 2nd round.

yes no harm taking the test

the tests are free :wink:

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ilovelaksa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:20 am

Hi, we opt out of GEP screening for all our children, cos we prefer to stay put at our nb sch.
Logistically, it wld hv bn a nightmare for us if any of our kids is offered.

ilovelaksa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KittyBin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 pm

ilovelaksa wrote:Hi, we opt out of GEP screening for all our children, cos we prefer to stay put at our nb sch.
Logistically, it wld hv bn a nightmare for us if any of our kids is offered.

There are not always many national standardized tests and exams in the nation. Unless, you think that you are looking at a holistic education and so do not want to stress your child out of all these, then it is fine.
But if you think of it in a positive way, it is a standardized assessment for you to know your child's ability. Isn't that a good deal? It is free!

Supposing there is a free IQ test assessment. Will you let your child take it?

It is not that difficult to opt out of the program (when you clearly know that you want him/ her to stay in nb schools) as the choice is still yours, even if your child is being offered.

KittyBin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to GEP