Re: GEP 2013 - Screening & Selection

Postby tyeogh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 am

You all so encouraging hor....

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ululu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:35 am

nonKiasu wrote:My ds said today's math is very difficult, very much more difficult than yest Eng but GAT is easier than yesterday. I am not surprised bec his strength is in Eng. So my 1st qn to him was whether he think he can get thru round 2. He confidentially said NO. So I didn't probe him further on what are the qns. The next moment, he told me "I think Samantha can get in!". :scratchhead: I asked him why. He told me abt the bus journey back to sch, Samantha bah bah bah.... but nothing on the qns! :scratchhead: I still can't get how he deduced who can get thru round 2.
Anyway, glad it's over. I believe the tests are a good experience for my ds. I also enjoy reading this thread and glad to feel the excitement in the air :lol: Thanks everyone here.

Finally finished reading and catching up with all the posts here from page 1..... phew~~~ Interesting reading and learnt a lot from the posts. Thanks everyone.

DD told me her rating of level of difficulty for 4 papers: Second day GA paper < First day GA paper < First Day EL paper < Second Day Math paper.

We didn't send her for any preparation course either. One thing is we are curious to find out her natural strength of a kind. Second thing is we are really doubtful how effective those courses are for they pre-screened top students before admission I heard!! Those probably will get in anyway with or without preparation. Thirdly, we do not feel DD is shortchanged or inadequately enriched in any way if she continues to stay in her current neighbourhood school. So let nature take its course bah. 看她自己的造化咯。

Hi nonKiasu, nice to see you in this thread. Best wishes to your DS1! :hi5:

ululu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tyeogh » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:47 am

I am going to post a controversial topic. Let's see how this goes.

I enquired at MOE whether GEP admission is meant for Singaporean citizens only or are foreigners/PRs also eligible.

Since 2 years ago, rules for P1 registration were changed such that at every phase, foreigners and PR are only considered after citizens are admitted.

Hence, I wondered if such a Singaporean First policy is filtered down to other MOE departments or policies.

This is with the view that foreigners and PR here account for 2.5 million out of our 5 million population; and it is a number that is still growing. It can only mean fewer citizens in the first 500 selected for GEP.

MOE replied GEP admission of the first 500 is based on merit regardless of nationality i.e. Foreigners and PR have equal footings.

My view is foreigners and PR are transient. They will leave when their parents uproot. It is a waste of national resources to put them in a special program which after they benefitted from, there is a strong likelihood they will not contribute back to our society.

Furthermore, every admission of a foreigner/PR deprives a citizen child a chance to be admitted (strictly 500 only). This citizen child can contribute back to society and if male, has a duty to conscript and should therefore be given the best education he is capable of.

Comments?

(p.s.: This is not xenophobia. It is a discussion on public policy. Appreciate if the replies can be such, minus any political inclinations. Thanks)

tyeogh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby timtamfan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:27 am

tyeogh wrote:I am going to post a controversial topic. Let's see how this goes.

My view is foreigners and PR are transient. They will leave when their parents uproot. It is a waste of national resources to put them in a special program which after they benefitted from, there is a strong likelihood they will not contribute back to our society.

Furthermore, every admission of a foreigner/PR deprives a citizen child a chance to be admitted (strictly 500 only). This citizen child can contribute back to society and if male, has a duty to conscript and should therefore be given the best education he is capable of.

Comments?

I think at age 10, every child is as transient as another, lest one forgets the possibility of Singaporeans leaving for greener pastures, and foreigners/PRs becoming citizens. Also, for this small batch, top quality should matter more so why shortchange the program ? A child having grown up in a Singapore education (not only the GEP) is likely a Singaporean at heart

timtamfan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

2 people like this post

Postby ululu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:33 pm

timtamfan wrote:
I think at age 10, every child is as transient as another, lest one forgets the possibility of Singaporeans leaving for greener pastures, and foreigners/PRs becoming citizens. Also, for this small batch, top quality should matter more so why shortchange the program ? A child having grown up in a Singapore education (not only the GEP) is likely a Singaporean at heart

Very well said. I can't agree more, esp.the last sentence. In many other countries, the only difference between citizens and PRs is just the voting right. Have a big heart. It is a good thing that our kids can meet, interact with and learn from those brilliant foreigner/PR's kids in GEP programme.

ululu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

3 people like this post

Postby nonKiasu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Hey, ululu. Nice to meet u here! Thanks and all the best to your dd too. My ds also rated the paper similar to yours. Most of the responses here seems to rate Math paper ok. So PC is prob weaker in Math. A parent whose girl was transfer to PC beginning of this yr commented that PC math is so much easier as compared to her previous sch.

While I will definitely feel great if my ds can go to gep but not getting in may be good for him too. When he first got the letter for rd 2, he was thinkly so highly of himself bec the classmate, who he always ask for advise when he don't know his work, didn't get in. After 2 days of gep, I can that he is mentally 'tamed'. At least, without me po-leng-shui, he learnt that yi-san-hai-you-yi-san-gou :)

Well said on the spore citizen vs foreigner. Ya, my dh has no voting right here but he is more Singporean than one can think of bec he is educated here. He particpated in this yr ndp too. Even my 3 ds need to go NS in future, the thot of my ds not being singaporeans didn't cross his mind. And he is more like a foreigner whenever he goes back to his hometown. So a 10-yr old foreigner today may give u 3 singaporeans in future :)

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

1 people like this post

Postby 678Yess » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:24 am

GEP's mission is to train leadership ability (According to MOE Gifted Education Branch Mission Statement) in the higher ability students.

It is not about drilling them to ensure that they will do very well in PSLE.

It required a lot of parent supports for the child during the program, are you ready?

5 subjects will be tested and graded, English, Maths, Higher MT, Science and Social Studies. It is a great opportunity to learn social study in the age of 10, when studied in the right attitude, the kids will grow to love this country very much.... and this country needs your child. Please do not stop them from taking up the program if being selected. :smile:

678Yess
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

1 people like this post

Postby concern2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:45 am

yusim_lim wrote:It is a great opportunity to learn social study in the age of 10, when studied in the right attitude, the kids will grow to love this country very much.... and this country needs your child. Please do not stop them from taking up the program if being selected. :smile:

From perspective of a parent of mainstream kids:
It is a great loss of opportunity to be unable to learn social study at the age of 10, without which the kids will not grow to love this country very much and this country does not need our child. There is no way our kid will be selected to take up the program (since it requires one to be the top 1%). :evil:

I wonder...will cherrygal delete my post? :duck:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:53 am

concern2 wrote:
yusim_lim wrote:It is a great opportunity to learn social study in the age of 10, when studied in the right attitude, the kids will grow to love this country very much.... and this country needs your child. Please do not stop them from taking up the program if being selected. :smile:

It is a great loss of opportunity to be unable to learn social study at the age of 10, without which the kids will not grow to love this country very much and this country does not need our child. There is no way our kid will be selected to take up the program (since it requires one to be the top 1%). :evil:

like that also can ah!!
:scared:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 678Yess » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:56 am

concern2 wrote:

All kids will learn social study, but only gep students will be tested and graded.

678Yess
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge