GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby babyA » Mon May 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi

Can I know after the GEP selection tests (second round), what are the possible outcomes? Is it these 3:
1) offered GEP
2) placed on waiting list
3) unsuccessful

babyA
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby muska » Mon May 25, 2015 2:57 pm

I think no wait list.
If originally fr nyps, maybe can get into meta class.

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:06 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby babyA » Mon May 25, 2015 3:24 pm

muska wrote:I think no wait list.
If originally fr nyps, maybe can get into meta class.


hi, thanks for your quick reply....sorry what's meta class?
Oh no wait list? i remember previously, MOE had the letter after GEP selection test- "....placed on wait list...will inform if there's vacancy"...something like that....

babyA
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby muska » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 pm

​Meta class is those outside 1% from gep selection test, maybe 2-3%.

I doubt MOE is interested to fill up the vacancy of the gep classes.

For eg, typically Henry park can probaly take in 50 kids, due to sch location which is less accessible, it is a less popular gep school, so every yr then can only get like 15-18 per class for their 2 class which have capacity of 25 each.
Similarly, for CHS this yr, with 50 capacity, they only have 46kid.


They dont fill up the remaining vacancy to make the nos.

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:06 am
Total Likes: 2


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby babyA » Mon May 25, 2015 4:29 pm

muska wrote:​Meta class is those outside 1% from gep selection test, maybe 2-3%.

I doubt MOE is interested to fill up the vacancy of the gep classes.

For eg, typically Henry park can probaly take in 50 kids, due to sch location which is less accessible, it is a less popular gep school, so every yr then can only get like 15-18 per class for their 2 class which have capacity of 25 each.
Similarly, for CHS this yr, with 50 capacity, they only have 46kid.


They dont fill up the remaining vacancy to make the nos.


thanks for the clarification. For a child unable to clear selection round to get into the GEP, the letter will clearly state "unsuccessful" right? P.S tecnically all those who did the gep selection are already top 5-6% within their cohort?

babyA
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby jtoh » Mon May 25, 2015 4:51 pm

babyA wrote:
muska wrote:I think no wait list.
If originally fr nyps, maybe can get into meta class.


hi, thanks for your quick reply....sorry what's meta class?
Oh no wait list? i remember previously, MOE had the letter after GEP selection test- "....placed on wait list...will inform if there's vacancy"...something like that....


No. MOE has never had a waitlist for GEP.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby Pen88n » Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 pm

MOE has stated before that there is no wait list for GEP. It's either the kid make it to GEP or not. Even if there are those who make it and not taking up GEP, the vacancy is left vacant and not offered to the "next in line".

Most GEP school have "twinning" classes - mainstream classes that may join the GEP classes for some lessons. They may also have some programmes that can involve mainstreamers of high ability in certain subjects together with the GEPpers - maths, science and billingual programmes.

For non-GEP schools, most of these kids who made it to 2nd round will end up in High Ability classes and may be offered more training etc. by the schools for some subjects or competitions, etc.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am
Total Likes: 70
2 people like this post


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby zbear » Mon May 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Which are the more popular GEP schools apart from NYPS and RGPS?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm
Total Likes: 64


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby jtoh » Mon May 25, 2015 7:00 pm

zbear wrote:Which are the more popular GEP schools apart from NYPS and RGPS?


ACS

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 91


Re: GEP round 2 - possible outcomes?

Postby iRabbit » Mon May 25, 2015 8:06 pm

muska wrote:​Meta class is those outside 1% from gep selection test, maybe 2-3%.

I doubt MOE is interested to fill up the vacancy of the gep classes.

For eg, typically Henry park can probaly take in 50 kids, due to sch location which is less accessible, it is a less popular gep school, so every yr then can only get like 15-18 per class for their 2 class which have capacity of 25 each.
Similarly, for CHS this yr, with 50 capacity, they only have 46kid.


They dont fill up the remaining vacancy to make the nos.


With moe removing certain privileges from GEP students starting this year, one suspects that the enrollment in the less popular GEP schs may become even lower in future.

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm
Total Likes: 119


Next

Return to GEP