Way to GEP for a Normal Kid

Academic support and discussions for GEP

Way to GEP for a Normal Kid

Postby jpe » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:09 pm

it is written in Chinese, if you could read it, it is a good experience shared.
http://bbs.sgcn.com/thread-15968750-1-1.html

jpe
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Way to GEP for a Normal Kid

Postby sushi88 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:41 pm

I think the title is somewhat misleading. The sharing is trying to emphasise that GEP is a fair screening process. The boy is definitely not just an average boy cos he could read Harry Porter at P3. The parents was trying to say that he did things normally with no GEP training and he got into the programme. They did not expect him to get in because elder sis was smarter but did not get in. Think the parents forgot one point. Boys' chance is 2/3 and girls' 1/3 so the competition for girls is tougher even if the elder girl is smarter than the boy.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:13 am

I'm not going to read the book as I find it very tiring to read Chinese! I just question why any parent of a "normal" kid would want to specially groom a child for GEP. Won't that just create additional stress all round? It could have long-term emotional and self-esteem repercussions if the child is constantly struggling in school instead of enjoying the learning. Just my thoughts.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:35 am

slmkhoo wrote:I'm not going to read the book as I find it very tiring to read Chinese! I just question why any parent of a "normal" kid would want to specially groom a child for GEP. Won't that just create additional stress all round? It could have long-term emotional and self-esteem repercussions if the child is constantly struggling in school instead of enjoying the learning. Just my thoughts.

Not a book..just a Chinese article from a forum of PRC ksp.
As mentioned the title is misleading. The parent just sharing proudly that the kid just did regular activities daily and got selected into GEP. Even some extra activities he did like learning piano only started in P1... but this boy is not just an average kid.

Perhaps this sharing is to counter the fact that no GEP training is required and go with a 平常心 and the screening test is a fair one to pick up your kid if your kid is good.

It also shared that the benefit of GEP is not about the perks but rather the learning style that suits the child so the child can thrive better in learning.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:42 am

sushi88 wrote:Not a book..just a Chinese article from a forum of PRC ksp.
As mentioned the title is misleading. The parent just sharing proudly that the kid just did regular activities daily and got selected into GEP. Even some extra activities he did like learning piano only started in P1... but this boy is not just an average kid.

Perhaps this sharing is to counter the fact that no GEP training is required and go with a 平常心 and the screening test is a fair one to pick up your kid if your kid is good.

It also shared that the benefit of GEP is not about the perks but rather the learning style that suits the child so the child can thrive better in learning.

OK, thanks for the summary! Let's hope the message gets through to others, then. I really feel sorry for kids who are pushed into "better" classes/streams and then struggle. I think parents need to take an objective look at the child before deciding how hard to push.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:56 am

SG Gepers are mostly just on the upper end of HA...not like they are exceptionally gifted although some parents would like to think so :duck:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:59 am

slmkhoo wrote:
sushi88 wrote:Not a book..just a Chinese article from a forum of PRC ksp.

OK, thanks for the summary! Let's hope the message gets through to others, then. I really feel sorry for kids who are pushed into "better" classes/streams and then struggle. I think parents need to take an objective look at the child before deciding how hard to push.

You are right, the intent of the message could well be lost in the long post because there is a tendency for some ks parents to pick up the wrong points in so much details.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:25 am

Some interesting points in the post that caught my attention.
Although the mum claimed that no special GEP training was provided for her son to prepare for GEP selection, the mother sure knows the right strategy to focus on Eng & Maths.

I saw:
Eng - attend TLL
Maths - attend Maths Hub (Fusion Maths)
2 hours of MO and IQ maths practice, starting from P3...

And the mother also knows how to pick the correct non-academic activities (piano and Weiqi) as these are great for brain development. Plus no watching of TV at home.

I am impressed that the new migrant spent so much money and effort to develop the child. Kiasuism is alive and kicking and has no boundaries.

PS: I find the use of "坡县” to describe Singapore disrespectful. It would appear that to Chinese, Singapore is not a country but just a county (size of a sesame seed). :razz:

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jpe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:52 am

The basic points are:
1. GEP is for the kids with special talent, not for everyone. i.e. not everyone can be pushed into GEP. Don't simply push the kids for GEP as the only target. If parent decide to push, don't be regret if the kid couldn't go into GEP or can't graduate from GEP.
2. It is not so obvious to identify a kid with special talent. GEPer could be anyone from anywhere. parent don't need to set barriers first before decide to push the kids.
3. Potential of kids requires to develop, a gifted kids may loss the chance without proper development. It is responsibility of parent to develop them.
4. To push the kids is not for perks or competition, it is to unleash the best from them.
5. The direction and ways of pushing is up to kids and parents. There are choices here, don't miss it.

The article is to share some characters observed from a GEPer who looks normal and ordinary; it also shares the experiences to develop the kid.

jpe
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:55 pm

lee_yl wrote:PS: I find the use of "坡县” to describe Singapore disrespectful. It would appear that to Chinese, Singapore is not a country but just a county (size of a sesame seed). :razz:

Did she say that? (I didn't read the article.) Well, for someone from China, I can understand it. Counties in China can be many times the size of Singapore!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to GEP