GEP 2017 - Screening & Selection

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Looneytunes
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: GEP 2017 - Screening & Selection

Post by Looneytunes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 pm

The notification letter for round 2 indicated that results will be out in early November and the briefing for shortlisted students on 11 Nov 8.30am.

kab
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kab » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Some Maths questions my girl remembers.

“ In a fishing competition, five kids caught 50 fish in total. A is the winner - she got 12 fish. B and C caught the same number of fish and both are at second place. D is at fourth place. E came in last, got only 6 fish. How many fish did B get?“

( my girl couldn’t solve this one. )

“ The red ribbon is twice as long as the blue ribbon. The green ribbon is 2cm shorter than the blue ribbon. A red ribbon and two green ribbon together measure 16cm. How Long is the blue ribbon? “

( she managed to solve this one- but only after spending a lot of time on it. )

( so now u know why I say my girl is quite weak in Maths... )

cafemug
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by cafemug » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Well, your gal has good memory!
Mine couldnt recall a single thing. He only said maths questions were interesting. GA tough.

Looneytunes
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Looneytunes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Seems like gat today wld be easier for those better at English (more reasoning) and gat yesterday (more puzzles?) easier for those better at Maths.

For those good at English and Maths, both gat for both days would be ok for them!

aclim3811
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by aclim3811 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:19 pm

kab wrote:Some Maths questions my girl remembers.

“ In a fishing competition, five kids caught 50 fish in total. A is the winner - she got 12 fish. B and C caught the same number of fish and both are at second place. D is at fourth place. E came in last, got only 6 fish. How many fish did B get?“

“ The red ribbon is twice as long as the blue ribbon. The green ribbon is 2cm shorter than the blue ribbon. A red ribbon and two green ribbon together measure 16cm. How Long is the blue ribbon? “

My girl said she don't have fishing competition question... she 100m race competition question but very similar to fishing question! Anyone else have 100 m racing question?
Last edited by aclim3811 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosiegoose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by goosiegoose » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Mine said maths is tough but he managed to finish. GA was easy apparently

Macc0608
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Macc0608 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm

kab wrote:Some Maths questions my girl remembers.

Actually these two questions are not really tough. My DD2 got the wrong answer for 1st question and she cannot remember what she put for 2nd question. She came out from these two days of tests 一头雾水。Although she managed to finish the four papers, she told me all were difficult.

DD1 qualified for the program two yrs ago and the ironical thing is the two rounds of testing were non-events in the house then as we did not expect her to clear the tests. I din even read this forum or ask her much abt the tests. I remembered asking her if results were out becos I was curious which of her classmates would qualify.

Fast forward two yrs later, it is DD2's turn to take the tests and it becomes more of an event in the house. Much more enthusiasm is shown this round as in reading the forum faithfully and asking her about the test questions. DD2 wants to be follow in her elder sister's footsteps and she wants mummy to be proud of both of them. However, daddy and I knew that it is quite impossible for DD2 to do so. Her clearing the first round is already good enough for us. We have been telling her it is ok if she does not qualify. Just do her best. But come early November, we will have to manage her disappointment and reassure her.

I guess this is life. Surprising us when we do not expect it but when we have expectations, disappointment is inevitable.

On a lighter note, we did joke about sending her elder sister in her place to take the tests see if DD1 can clear again..lol..DD1 was rather insulted at the possibility of her not clearing if given another chance. Ha ha!

Ky72
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Ky72 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:41 am

My daughter finds Maths hard and skipped around five questions as they are written. She finds both GA fairly easy and English ok.

haloha
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by haloha » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am

My DD feedback Maths and both days GAT papers are easy, most of questions test logical thinking.
But English paper is a bit hard and guessed some.
Top 1% is not easy, so just 平常心 and focus on coming SA2.

darwinkoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by darwinkoh » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Here's my DD's rating of increasing difficulty:
GA2 < Maths < GA1 <<<<< English