sweetbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:18

Re: GEP 2019

Post by sweetbaby » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:49 pm

Rockmelon wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:48 pm
Any idea why they are not allow to bring rulers to the test? No need to use ruler for the math paper?
There is no need.

CoolAlan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by CoolAlan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:30 pm

sweetstrawberry wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:02 pm
Any tips to tackle round 2 for those experience with elder child ? :scratchhead:
The only useful tips for those who have not prepared specifically for GEP test is: have a good sleep before the test and ask the kids to relax. Then you sit outside and Pray to God.

6thisnthat9
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:54 pm

sweetstrawberry wrote:
Any tips to tackle round 2 for those experience with elder child ? :scratchhead:
If your child has breezed through tests and exams since P1, you may find a chance to casually tell him to prepare him mentally, the papers and each question will be longer than any he has experienced before and more questions to cover. If he feel that way, don't be taken aback.

If he is used to reading novels, the amount of materials to cover may not be a problem. But my child felt maths was hard, didn't finish, maths has never been a favourite though.

The GA papers were like puzzles, my child enjoyed them. English was ok.

Every child will have different/level of affinity to each paper

6thisnthat9
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm

sweetbaby wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:49 pm
Rockmelon wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:48 pm
Any idea why they are not allow to bring rulers to the test? No need to use ruler for the math paper?
There is no need.
My child brought both wooden and mechanical 2B pencils

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Admummy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Only 9 schools offer GEP. So if clear 2nd round of selection on 15 & 16 Oct, kid has to choose from these 9 schools only? How many choices does the kid has? I noticed some got affliated sec sch, but some doesnt, wouldn't it be a waste if don't go for affliated schools since got advantageous edge as a backup for psle? I also heard GEP tend to emphasize too much on projects and less focus on mainstream syllabus as such child may not be able to do well in PSLE, what's your say? Really appreciate ur sharing pls. Thank you.

Em
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Em » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 pm

sweetstrawberry wrote:
Do some iq math questions for FUN. Read Harry Potter or equivalent in English standard, also for FUN. Relax and sleep early. My DC said the second round was tiring cos ‘got to stretch our brains’ 🤣

dotb
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by dotb » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Agree with the other posts on telling the kids to rest well, and just enjoy taking the tests. No stress and nothing to prepare. That's what I told mine a few years ago.

I believe that the GE program is about a teaching style that suits certain children better, and not geared towards scoring in exams. If the child is suitable for the program, he or she will generally be able to enjoy the time in it, otherwise it could be a stressful few years.

GE is about a learning style that suits the child, they could be learning things that are not tested in PSLE, but the child will be enjoying the journey of learning. The joy of learning. :cool:

Beloved3
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by Beloved3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:49 pm

dotb wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Agree with the other posts on telling the kids to rest well, and just enjoy taking the tests. No stress and nothing to prepare. That's what I told mine a few years ago.

I believe that the GE program is about a teaching style that suits certain children better, and not geared towards scoring in exams. If the child is suitable for the program, he or she will generally be able to enjoy the time in it, otherwise it could be a stressful few years.

GE is about a learning style that suits the child, they could be learning things that are not tested in PSLE, but the child will be enjoying the journey of learning. The joy of learning. :cool:
Well said. I like it. The joy of learning ❤

aloyboy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by aloyboy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Admummy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Only 9 schools offer GEP. So if clear 2nd round of selection on 15 & 16 Oct, kid has to choose from these 9 schools only? How many choices does the kid has? I noticed some got affliated sec sch, but some doesnt, wouldn't it be a waste if don't go for affliated schools since got advantageous edge as a backup for psle? I also heard GEP tend to emphasize too much on projects and less focus on mainstream syllabus as such child may not be able to do well in PSLE, what's your say? Really appreciate ur sharing pls. Thank you.
3 choices if i remember correctly

honestly these gep kids dont need the affiliation benefits.... instead their affiliation sec school have hard time selling/"begging" these GEP kids to continue their Secondary school years with them. :lol:
Perhaps with the exception of 1 GEP school with affiliation to one of the Top 4.

skii
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by skii » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:00 pm

aloyboy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:03 pm
Admummy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 pm
3 choices if i remember correctly

honestly these gep kids dont need the affiliation benefits.... instead their affiliation sec school have hard time selling/"begging" these GEP kids to continue their Secondary school years with them. :lol:
Perhaps with the exception of 1 GEP school with affiliation to one of the Top 4.
well said.

cannot have safety net for everything one la.

want a good GEP environment
+ affliated sec sch
+ easy to get in
+ kind teachers
+ focus on exploratory learning with equal emphasis on mainstream PSLE cirriculum

where got such good deals, let us know ok?