GEP 2019

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Beloved3
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:12

Re: GEP 2019

Post by Beloved3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:08 pm

All the best to our kids in their SA2 n let's wait patiently for 2 weeks. Should be out Oct 31 or Nov 1,esp if school's SA ends that week

cutepandabear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:33

Post by cutepandabear » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:19 am

Good morning parents. Just hoping to gather more info from parents while this GEP experience is still fresh in our minds. Especially cos my kid didn't want to talk too much about what type of questions came out. Said the Maths was like school SA. Then found me bothersome and scooted off.

Can anyone share what type of questions came out? Think no harm sharing right? Question will never come out again for subsequent years?

And also, I'm curious. On hindsight, those parents who did send kid to prep programs, was it beneficial? Did your kid feel that it helped?

mystique_j
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mystique_j » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:49 am

My DS said maths was more challenging than what they usually do for SA. (Mine is neighborhood school)

He ranks it like this from easiest to toughest:
GA2,GA1,EL, maths
Last edited by mystique_j on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pebbly
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Pebbly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:50 am

Just bear in mind that some kids may be sitting for makeup papers due to mc.

Mine found Eng, GA 2 and Math to be about same difficulty (moderately hard). Found GA 1 tough, couldn’t finish last few qns. Had a little time to check English.

No prep.

decollette
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by decollette » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 am

Sharing what I know.. Yesterday my boy didn't really wanna talk about it but suddenly today he said he remembered some math qns and proceeded to show me on the board.
He was saying there were quite alot of picture diagram qns, not like SA paper, at least his school did
n't really give them much diagram type of qns. There was a folding paper qn he remembered. Basically paper is folded twice and a small arc being cut off (illustrated) so how would it look like after it's totally unfolded. This was an mcq qn. He explained to me his answer and then I could see what he meant.
Next, he drew out a four part diagram with arrows and triangle pointing in different directions. So u have to guess the last pattern. This one he explained to me but I catch nothing. I don't see the correlation, and he was a little exasperated that I don't see it. I think boys are more inclined towards understanding these sort of qns, (just my opinion don't bash me please.)
And then he drew out another diagram of circles with dots triangles arrows and what nots.. And he said he duno and is this morse code or what? Hahaha we had a good laugh this morning. And that there's a word problem much like those that comes out in harder SA papers. That's all, anyway it's all done and dusted. Onward to consistent prep for SA2. Then we can celebrate and play!

sweetstrawberry
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by sweetstrawberry » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:33 am

anyone knows what is the minimum score to pass this round 2 ? :pray:

Beloved3
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Beloved3 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am

My son said that before GA2 , they were given 10mins to look at examples. He said that helped him answer alot of questions for that paper??? No prep on our side too.

Beloved3
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Beloved3 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 am

However he mentioned that 1 classmate told them that he went for prep class at six n nothing they taught there were tested.

abhcbl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by abhcbl » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 am

in the past, a good portion of the questions are inference, pattern, logic, visual type of questions.

skii
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by skii » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Beloved3 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 am
However he mentioned that 1 classmate told them that he went for prep class at six n nothing they taught there were tested.
6am or 6 years old?