YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: GEP 2019

Post by Chew88 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:31 pm

entei17 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Chew88 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:36 am
Does anyone have a sample, perhaps of mid or final year p4 gep math or english exam? Would like to gauge the level.
I've been following the GEP threads for a few years, but I don't seem to recall any parent sharing samples of GEP papers. I wonder why? Was tempted to upload samples, but am hesitant, since no one has done it before.

I'll just provide a summary and comparison between GEP and mainstream/PSLE papers I've seen. I may not provide the right comparison as my only experience is a GEP child, not mainstream.

English

Paper 2 is 2 hours or 10 minutes longer than PSLE papers. Key reasons are because
  • There are 2 Comprehension OEQ passages each of 50 lines long (25 marks), not one (20 marks).
  • In Spelling and Grammar, they have to find where the mistakes are, unlike in PSLE formats where they have underlined the mistakes for you
The Comprehension OEQ questions are more difficult to answer as some need deeper inferences and rephrasing (no lifting). P4 SA1 Comprehension OEQ passage was the hardest I've seen, as I was guessing that GEB probably wanted to set the 'right' expectation. So much so that I mistook that's the standard and started practicing using 'O' level comprehension passages OEQs. Subsequently, the following papers have seen 'easier' passages.

Other parts of Vocabulary and Grammar are probably pitched at 2 levels higher.

English is the hallmark of the GEP Education, in that it is accelerated much more than Maths, Science and MT. The exam papers prepare them well for PSLE, as all PSLE components are tested. However, they spend little time practising such components, with some worksheets here and there, and doing past year practise papers 2 weeks before the SAs. The majority of the time are spent on their reading, writing, performance and literature projects, that has nothing to do with PSLE.

CL/HCL

GEP take the same CL/HCL papers as the mainstream in their respective schools. I don't see much difference between GEP and mainstream.

Maths

I won't say Maths are accelerated. They do the same PSLE topics but involves a lot of heuristics in problem solving. I often see the 'Ancient Civilization Number Systems' being mentioned by other parents. That was gone through in the 2nd or 3rd week, and was never seen or tested again. There are lots of interesting worksheets they do (pi, golden ratio etc), but are hardly tested on those content.

What are tested are linear and quadratic patterns in the CTs. P4/P5 SA papers are very similar to PSLE standard, probably with a few more of the 'difficult' PSLE questions. There are a few Math Olympiad style questions, but those are far and few in between. Questions in the Math Olympiad books are far much harder than GEP Math papers. If you do the practice papers before the SAs diligently, it wouldn't be a problem. The question types are similar. GEP Math would not prepare you for the Math Olympiad competitions (there are quite a few they get exposed to). You either have to get external classes or practice them on your own. Some GEP centres have training sessions, but some are DIY. There are also those who get selected for Math Masterclasses organized centrally by GEB/NUSH, however very few have those opportunities.

Science

Science is taught with a lot of worksheets and videos, within the syllabus and outside too. As a central theme of GEP, they teach the kids how to source for information, how to think and analyse. How much the kids can grasp varies widely though.

ISOs (IRS, IVP, FPS, OM) will take up some time in P5. There are also those who get selected for Science Masterclasses organized centrally by GEB/NUSH, however very few have those opportunities.

Science SA papers are similar to PSLE standard, but the requirements for the answers are more stringent in that they seek your answer, your evidence and the scientific concept/keywords that helps explain it (at the end of the day, rote learning still require here). So a 1 or 2 mark question can require a pretty lengthy answer.
Heh thanks very much for that detailed and informative sharing. I was particularly concerned about the level of maths but you have allayed it somewhat. I'm happy if he can just stay afloat on his own steam (most of the time).

selinasun
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by selinasun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Txs for all the generous sharing!

skii
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by skii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:39 pm

harry potter seemed like a benchmark for the measure of GEP-ness
faster grab the whole set ar...

just kidding la.

but that said, my P1 boy finished the whole series earlier this year too.
and quite a few of his classmates finished reading the whole series as well.

congrats to all who got the good news!
Beloved3 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:05 pm
Beloved3 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:39 pm
I heard some kids r preparing for Gep n are attending MO classes. Just wondering if its really helpful
:congrats:
Hi Beloved3,
Would you like to share your experience in preparing for GEP?

All parents out there whose ah boy / ah girl got in are also welcomed to share your journey.

Hi. We didn't prepare him for GEP. He told us that so n so are taking this n that class n asked if he should go. My boy learns concepts very fast n he is a fanatic reader. He can finish 1 harry potter book in 3hrs!
We did look up the internet for some IQ questions n some questions past GEP parents shared. He managed to do it with ease. We didn't want to inflate his results by preparing . We want it to be a clear indication that he is gifted so that he is definitely suitable for the program. He hasn't decided if he wants to join. Will decide after attending the talk. I told him that if u want , u must make sure u r able to do all the work n projects on your own.

Canny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Canny » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks for the sharing.
I would like to know how well are the kids prepare for PSLE.
If they are average in GEP, normally they are able to do well in PSLE?

manorway
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by manorway » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:43 pm

I am curious too. Why do so many mention Harry Potter?

Any kids who qualify for GEP but never read Harry Potter before?

skii wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:39 pm

just kidding la.

Beloved3 wrote:
lee_yl wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:05 pm

:congrats:
Hi Beloved3,
Would you like to share your experience in preparing for GEP?

All parents out there whose ah boy / ah girl got in are also welcomed to share your journey.

Hi. We didn't prepare him for GEP. He told us that so n so are taking this n that class n asked if he should go. My boy learns concepts very fast n he is a fanatic reader. He can finish 1 harry potter book in 3hrs!
We did look up the internet for some IQ questions n some questions past GEP parents shared. He managed to do it with ease. We didn't want to inflate his results by preparing . We want it to be a clear indication that he is gifted so that he is definitely suitable for the program. He hasn't decided if he wants to join. Will decide after attending the talk. I told him that if u want , u must make sure u r able to do all the work n projects on your own.

skii
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by skii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Maybe, it is because the books are inherently thick and the movies are popular?

my son picked up a David Walliams recently.
words are more spread out and pages come with more pictures (than harry potter)

looks equally think and intimidating from the outside.

manorway wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:43 pm

skii wrote:

just kidding la.

Beloved3 wrote:

sunflower2005
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by sunflower2005 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 pm

manorway wrote:

Not all GEP like Harry Potter !! My gal hate Harry Potter but she still get in and do well for PSLE !
skii wrote:

just kidding la.

Beloved3 wrote:

manorway
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by manorway » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Many may have finished but may not understand. Some may also skip sections so I think finishing the set alone does not mean English is powerful. My own view only. No trying to offend anyone.

How do parents gauge if kids really understand unless parents also read the books themselves?

skii wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm
Maybe, it is because the books are inherently thick and the movies are popular?

my son picked up a David Walliams recently.
words are more spread out and pages come with more pictures (than harry potter)

looks equally think and intimidating from the outside.

manorway wrote:

skii wrote:

just kidding la.

skii
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by skii » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm

it is not a comprehension test - no need to understand 100% "one la"
that will take the pleasure out of leisure reading.

and if the kid is curious 6 months later, he/she will take the book to re-read and re-understand at the next level.

I am not defending Harry Potter readers but their English must quite ok to be even lifting the book.
likewise for Roald Dahl series .... and etc..

(imagine one sentence 30% of the words you cannot understand, how to meaningfully "flip" finish the 7 books)

manorway wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 pm
Many may have finished but may not understand. Some may also skip sections so I think finishing the set alone does not mean English is powerful. My own view only. No trying to offend anyone.

How do parents gauge if kids really understand unless parents also read the books themselves?

Tigerbaby060910
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Tigerbaby060910 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:55 pm

I think most important is that the kid likes to read, not just Harry Potter. Reads widely and has this thirst for knowledge. My girl loves to read since young and anything she can get her hands on. Even reading brochures and recipes 😊