Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Re: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorde

Postby Specialkids » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:39 pm

It's best shared in person. Each kid is different. If you'd like help with your kid in particular, pm me? I usually don't share generally because if used in the wrong circumstances, it may aggravate and not help.

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby adhd.dad » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 am

Those of you who are providing tuition or a service of some sort... please declare so openly. Do not bait desperate parents with bits of info and ask us to PM you. It is annoying. This is a discussion thread on ADHD... it is not an advertisement thread. I'd hate to see this forum turn into that.

adhd.dad
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Specialkids » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Sorry. But I don't bait and I don't charge. Adhd.dad, if you are referring to me, say so. But having adhd myself, I understand we probably think alike... and act in the best interest of everyone. :)

If you need evidence that I have helped folks in the community without charging, let me know. :)

I asked for pm as ADHD is on a spectrum. And quoting my text above,

" I usually don't share generally because if used in the wrong circumstances, it may aggravate and not help."

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Specialkids » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 am

Having ADHD myself, I find certain foods do affect my general health and mood. What about you/your kids?

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zac's mum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Specialkids wrote:Having ADHD myself, I find certain foods do affect my general health and mood. What about you/your kids?

Which foods affect you? My DS isn't diagnosed ADHD, just more active than normal boys. But from my own observation, he is very sensitive to sugary foods/drinks and MSG. These make him even more unsettled than usual. Typical kids' birthday party food like chocolate cake turns him into a crazy monster, more than other kids.

Also fish oil supplements. Supposed to boost brain power in normal kids, but just one-third dosage makes him super alert and bouncy the whole day, difficult to fall asleep at bedtime. The effect is akin to caffeine on adults.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Specialkids » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Mine is vinegar (sigh - went off it at wedding dinner soups).
MSG - just gives me a bad stomach bloat.

Sugar stuff & choc - seems to have the same effect on all kids alike.

Vinegar is the one that 'gets' me and sends me emo.

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zac's mum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:57 pm

That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Specialkids » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Let's see if we have other input. Then we compile a list for all to refer. For a friend it's gluten tho he's autistic.

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby subbuteo3 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:20 am

Some tips on how to help a child with ADD (ADHD)

1) There are 7 types of ADD (ADHD)
Classic ADD - Most common. Impulsive, easily distracted etc
Inattentive ADD - Mainly girls. Easily distracted, daydream etc
Over-Focused ADD - Getting stuck in negative thoughts
Temporal Lobe ADD - Quick anger
Limbic ADD - Low energy, low self esteem
Ring of Fire ADD - Sensitive to noise, touch, speaking fast, unpredictable behavior
Anxious ADD - Anxious, stress, headaches

2) People with ADD (ADHD) have low levels of Dopamine. In class, they might, daydream, walk around the class too much, keep asking to go visit the toilet so they can take a walk, do impulsive things like stealing.

3) Since they have low levels of Dopamine, you need to help them raise their Dopamine levels. One way is thru food. Search for foods which boost dopamine levels.

4)Another way to boost dopamine levels is thru medications like Ritalin. Not recommended for long term use though.

5)People with ADD (ADHD) have problems in their Prefrontal Cortex of the brain. Its the part of the brain when controls how you behave. For example, you should be doing your homework because its the right thing.

6) Here's how I work with my ADHD kids in class. For example, when asking to do worksheets, tell them how many pages they need to do. Start small. Assure them its easy to do or not too difficult. Then tell them that if they managed to finish their task, you will give them a reward. In my case, my reward is they get to play games on the iPad. Educational games of course. Limit 5 to 10 minutes. Then get back to another few pages of worksheet and reward them with games at the end of the day. The iPad is a great way for kids with ADD (ADHD) to learn because it grabs their attention with all the animation and colours and instant rewards. It also helps raise their dopamine levels. One more thing, don't stick to the same game for too long or they will get bored.

7) Remember to give them tasks to do which are not too long. Their brains get tired easily so give them water breaks or snack breaks

8)For parents who want to help their ADD (ADHD) child at home with their homework, make sure you give them positive psychological support. If the homework is easy, tell them its easy. If the homework is slightly difficult, tell them its slightly difficult and tell them not to worry as you will help them. Remember to give them breaks before their brains get tired.

9)I use games like Splash Math for the iPad. Kids also like Minecraft but this one if only they managed to complete major tasks.

10) Give them good food for breakfast like fruits (Bananas) and green tea. Never give them milo or fruit juice or bread for breakfast as this is bad for their brains as their sugar levels will rise too quickly.

Hope this helps.

subbuteo3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

1 people like this post

Postby Snow24 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi

My child need verbal prompt to stay focus during classtime.

Is there a need to increase the dosage for ritalin when child is growing and gaining weight.

With lower levels of Dopamine does it mean when task demand is higher eg doing more difficult work it will cause child to resist doing as they find it difficult.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres