All About Autism

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
Darren_Sim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Autism

Post by Darren_Sim » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi Dear Parents,
My boy is following up with his play therapist (Dr Alicia) & she informed us that he is having GDD issue.
She recommended to us that our boy to attend EIPIC class.
Do any of your child is attending SBCC Child Development Center at Novena Medical Center?
Any review about this center?
Also, any of your child is attending AWWA Fernvale center?
Any review about t his center?
Thanks in advance.

Darren

tyeogh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by tyeogh » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm

tyeogh wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:34 pm
Hi parents,
We have a WeChat support group for Autism. To discuss things, share info and support each other.

Do leave your WeChat ID here or PM me if you want to talk about your special loved ones. Hope to see you there!

:thankyou:
Bump post

T.Yeoh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by T.Yeoh » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:29 pm

As a parent, I have spent a lot of time thinking about my child’s future. He is diagnosed with autism at the age of 6 and we asked our selves if what have we done wrong for our child to suffer. We need help to understand why is this happening and who can help our child to at least live a good life. My mother-in-law told us that there is AutsimStep who are experts in this kind of field. We are hesitant to ask help from them because we are still denying that he has autism. Thank goodness, the staff from this center understand what we feel and extend great help not only to our child but to us as well.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:19

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Simply00123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Simply00123 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Simply00123 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:29 am
slmkhoo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:14 am
Simply00123 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:38 pm
Hi, will you be able to share what do you do at the home base therapy? I'm try to find more info on how to help my child at home on my own. My son is 20 months old. We just went to kkh for assessment and was
What exactly caused the suspicion that he may be ASD? From that, just engage him in activities and interaction through the day to enhance those areas. Talk to him, encourage back and forth actions, encourage him to point to attract your attention. For sensitivities, build up slowly to try to desensitise him gradually. If there are other issues, just play games or do activities to build up those skills.
Hi slmkoo,
He couldn't talk yet, little interaction and lack of eye contact was observed during the assessment. Other traits we observed at home like arm flapping, spinning in circle, tiptoeing, couldn't point to what he wants, no response to name etc.

For tiptoeing, recently I started epsom soak bath and noticed the tip toe is reducing.

Few days ago he can count from 1 to 10. He can also sing ABC song and even recognise and say out A B C and O letter. But he still cant call us papa mama despite teaching him everyday, I couldn't understand why is it so. Is it because he is not interested in people? Is there any way I can do to help him to talk?
Hi all, it has been 6 months since my last post. Just to share on my son's progress. He is now able to label things. He can point and name animals, objects, colours, knows all alphabets and numbers. Speech therapist mentioned that he is progressing. However these labelling are non functioning and we need to teach him more functioning words so that he is able to communicate to people. When he request things, he usually pull our hands to the object. We will prompt him to say "i want xxx". He is still unable to request on his own unless we prompt or cue him and we are still working on that with him. He has improved his eye contact however he is still unable to maintain the eye contact when he is talking. When he says "I want milk". The eye contact is only at the word "i" and the eye will sway away. One behaviour, not sure usual or not for other kids: He is obsessed with a book, he can recite the whole story again and again for very long can be up to an hour or so. Sometimes when we are outside and the book is not with him, he will want us to draw out the pictures in the book on paper and he will recite the story. When we are at the library, not sure how he managed to find that book and he will sit there and read only that book. However this is not causing any problem to us so we let him be. He has very bad tantrums too, when he didn't get what he wants he will scream cry and roll on the floor. I still have not has a way on how to deal with his tantrum. But overall, we see improvement in him :)

ReadingNikki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ReadingNikki » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:10 pm

I have witnessed how really hard to raise and teach a child with Autism. My sister was blessed with a child with Autism and I saw her several times crying because she is about to give up. Then we met Teacher JiaYi from a forum regarding rearing a child with autism. She invited my sister to drop by at AutismStep and see where can they help her. At first, she was hesitant because of the hefty price but I told her why don't you try them. It's been more than two months since Caleb is attending this center. There no drastic change on him yet but the fact that he is now listening to my sisters simple instruction is already a milestone.

Imjustagirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Imjustagirl » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:17 am

Dear Parents, I will be greatly appreciated if I can have your honest opinion on the survey below for my school project. In our course, we are to do a business plan for something that we can help with society. Our group intends to do an Indoor Playground (although it is open to all) but it is specially catered to children with Autism. The reason being in our group's point of view, society is less educated on autism awareness where they assume a child who shows tantrum (while they are actually having a meltdown) is not behaving and has poor parenting skills. This is supported by the news where an autistic child is kicked by another parent in an indoor playground in Yishun. This saddens and really frustrates us as we wonder how the parents, might be feeling and to those who are afraid to be in public. We believe that everyone is entitled to their freedom of choice, without being judged. Our plan might not be supported by some, but we believe that having this indoor playground, will assist the kids to be open to make new friends, will raise more awareness of autism and parents won't have to worry about being judged by society.

Your valuable suggestions:
1) What are the facilities (besides the playground and sensory toys) will you prefer to have in a playground (which is not available in other indoor playgrounds?

2) What is the amount you will be willing to pay as an entrance fee (Child / Adult)

3) What type of service (based on the entrance fee), you love to expect in the indoor playground?

4) How often in a month will you bring your child to an indoor playground?

5) Having Live performances something like High-5, will this interest your child?

6) Any other feedback?

Lastly, thank you for your time in reading through my 1st post.

MollyK
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by MollyK » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:02 pm

ReadingNikki wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:10 pm
I have witnessed how really hard to raise and teach a child with Autism. My sister was blessed with a child with Autism and I saw her several times crying because she is about to give up. Then we met Teacher JiaYi from a forum regarding rearing a child with autism. She invited my sister to drop by at AutismStep and see where can they help her. At first, she was hesitant because of the hefty price but I told her why don't you try them. It's been more than two months since Caleb is attending this center. There no drastic change on him yet but the fact that he is now listening to my sisters simple instruction is already a milestone.
We just started attending sessions at AutismStep too and we are also assigned to the same case manager. I know how your sister felt because I was also on her shoes when it was confirmed that my second child has autism. He's four and has delayed speech, aloof, cries a lot, bangs his head out of nowhere. I almost break down and blame myself thinking what have I done wrong. His case manager is not only helping our child but she also serves as someone whom I can ask on what to do, how to manage his behavior, how to raise a child with autism.

theradiantspectrum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by theradiantspectrum » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:22 am

Dear parents, happy new year!

Last December, I organized a recital for my special needs and neurotypical students. For autistic children, music lessons can be a form of therapy.

Here's a video of my 4-year-old autistic student's performance from our concert last year - https://www.facebook.com/theradiantspec ... 870878130/

He enjoys music and looks forward to our weekly piano lessons. At home, he shows initiative to play songs on his own without adult supervision. He is able to sit through 45-min lessons and can now read notes on his own. Piano lessons have evolved to become a form of enjoyable therapy for him.

madiba
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by madiba » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 pm

Dear parents,

Big news from the U.S. for those who would are struggling with understanding the behaviours of their children with special needs, and how to manage them, and teach their children.

The Autism Partnership Foundation, a U.S. based and world-leading service provider (they have an office here in Singapore) for individuals with ASD and related disorders has launched a FREE 40 hour training in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) for anyone interested.

This 40 hour training covers the task list of a Registered Behaviour Technician, a professional certification in ABA issued by the Behaviour Analyst Certification Board (BACB). This is the level of training that qualifies one to be a front line staff working with individuals with ASD and related disorders. You read that right. And it's free.
*Note that the 40 hour training is only one component to apply for certification.*

Detailed information can be found at: https://autismpartnershipfoundation.org/courses/rbt/

ABA is the gold standard treatment approach for ASD and related disorders, with a strong evidence base for its effectiveness. You can read more about it at: https://www.autismspeaks.org/applied-be ... ysis-aba-0

Note that you would need to register an account with the BACB beforehand as you will need to produce your BACB ID to sign up for the course. The account is free to register and takes less than 5 mins. You can do so at https://www.bacb.com/

I hope that this is welcome news for some of you parents out there. Cheers!