School Readiness Assessment

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

School Readiness Assessment

Postby hope05 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi there

Would like to check any parents out there has done a school readiness assessment for their kids before they go P1.

Appreciate any advise.

Thks & rdgs,

hope05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 pm

I have not heard of such an assessment. What is this assessment about? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby schweppes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

tankee wrote:I have not heard of such an assessment. What is this assessment about? :?

The assessment is to check whether a child (at 5 or 6yo) is ready for mainstream school at P1.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Offer by MOE? Or just some money spinning gimmick by some enrichment centers?

tankee
Site Admin

Re: School Readiness Assessment

Postby schweppes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm

kellyang wrote:Hi there

Would like to check any parents out there has done a school readiness assessment for their kids before they go P1.

Appreciate any advise.

Thks & rdgs,

Hi Kelly

DD1 had done a school readiness assessment when she was 5 and 6yo. Both times, the results came out that she was not adequately ready. My dh and I deliberated long and hard whether to defer her by 1 year. In the end, we decided to take the plunge and not defer her.

One of the main reasons for not deferring was that we felt that in delaying her by 1 yr, it wd affect her self-esteem and morale greatly. As it is, she was already feeling very lousy about herself in kindy. We felt that if she was not "promoted" to P1, then it might make her feel worse about herself.

Needless to say, she struggled throughout primary school. It was really tough for all of us. There was a lot of "What ifs" and "Should we haves" discussions between dh and myself. We always wondered if we made the right decision.

Conversely, I know of 2 other families who decided to defer their dds by 1 yr. Whilst they struggled initially, their dds caught up when they were in P5 (the girls were abt 12 yo then). Their dds were more matured - emotionally and intellectually and that made a lot of difference.

Still, even tho dd struggled in sch, we place a lot of emphasis on her self-esteem and confidence as well. In delaying her by 1 year wd have devastated her.

So, whilst it is very useful to do a school readiness assessment test, it depends very much on one's child as well. It is important to think about how the test results will affect your decision to defer the child or not.

It is also very important to choose a right school for the child. We did not aim for "branded" and high achieving schools for our girl. The school that we finally settled upon must be nurturing and inclusive; one that has an understanding principal (very impt) and teachers.

Fast forward to present date now. Sure, there are still the struggles and the ups and downs. But in the overall scheme of things, I am so happy and proud to say that dd1 is in Sec 2 now, and she is happy, well-adjusted and wonderful.

Do talk to the EP (educational psychologist) about the tests/ results and talk to other parents if possible. Also, more importantly, choose a school that is understanding and nurturing for your child.

I wish u the very best :celebrate:
Last edited by schweppes on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:57 pm

tankee wrote:Offer by MOE? Or just some money spinning gimmick by some enrichment centers?

If it is an enrichment sch gimmick that is out to make a quick buck, then forget about it.

However, it if is for a special needs child (to assess P1 readiness) and the test is administered by an Educational Psychologist, then of course it is advisable for the parents to let the child sit for the assessment.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby pingsped » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:31 pm

I know KKH or Child Devm Clinic has a School Readiness Test. I've seen many kids who have taken it. The findings/recommendations are not binding. Parents can choose to ignore or accept them.

I'll just mention the "recommended-to-defer" kids.
Some do okay or well in school and some don't.

Those who do okay tend to have very good support eg stay-at-home mums, on-going therapy, supportive teachers, nurturing schools (ie tests are of reasonable difficulty), parents who are able to guide and teach their kids WELL, etc

Those who don't do well tend to have multiple diagnoses eg dyslexia-ADHD, dyslexia-dyspraxia. Some have assessed IQ of about 60-80s. Parent support is not comparable to above group. For those who also have behavioural issues, key variables are parent support/personality and child's temperament & IQ.

Dont-do-well refers to
A) Band4 from P1 onwards for all subjects
B) Band 4 from P3 onwards for all subjects
C) some Band 4 for some subjects from P2 onwards

Doing okay refers to having mostly passes (Band1-3) and happy childhood.

If private centres' assessment do not have a school visit or teacher interview, I think you can ignore it. Psychological assessments predict school success but a lot depends on quality of home support and school environment.

I've seen many kids who thrive or crumble. The label is not impt. Getting the right help is!

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hope05 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 am

schweppes wrote:
kellyang wrote:Hi there

Appreciate any advise.

Thks & rdgs,

Hi Kelly

DD1 had done a school readiness assessment when she was 5 and 6yo. Both times, the results came out that she was not adequately ready. My dh and I deliberated long and hard whether to defer her by 1 year. In the end, we decided to take the plunge and not defer her.

One of the main reasons for not deferring was that we felt that in delaying her by 1 yr, it wd affect her self-esteem and morale greatly. As it is, she was already feeling very lousy about herself in kindy. We felt that if she was not "promoted" to P1, then it might make her feel worse about herself.

Needless to say, she struggled throughout primary school. It was really tough for all of us. There was a lot of "What ifs" and "Should we haves" discussions between dh and myself. We always wondered if we made the right decision.

Conversely, I know of 2 other families who decided to defer their dds by 1 yr. Whilst they struggled initially, their dds caught up when they were in P5 (the girls were abt 12 yo then). Their dds were more matured - emotionally and intellectually and that made a lot of difference.

Still, even tho dd struggled in sch, we place a lot of emphasis on her self-esteem and confidence as well. In delaying her by 1 year wd have devastated her.

So, whilst it is very useful to do a school readiness assessment test, it depends very much on one's child as well. It is important to think about how the test results will affect your decision to defer the child or not.

It is also very important to choose a right school for the child. We did not aim for "branded" and high achieving schools for our girl. The school that we finally settled upon must be nurturing and inclusive; one that has an understanding principal (very impt) and teachers.

Fast forward to present date now. Sure, there are still the struggles and the ups and downs. But in the overall scheme of things, I am so happy and proud to say that dd1 is in Sec 2 now, and she is happy, well-adjusted and wonderful.

Do talk to the EP (educational psychologist) about the tests/ results and talk to other parents if possible. Also, more importantly, choose a school that is understanding and nurturing for your child.

I wish u the very best :celebrate:

Hi Schweppes

Thanks for yr advise. I dont really like the idea of the school readiness assessment and the IQ testing cos i think it will be a bit unfair to subject him to all these.

After talking to his OT, decided to opt out for the school readiness assessment. Will get his OT to write a report and submit to the SNO in school. Hopefully they can draw up a support plan for him based on that.

I am sending him to "Red Swastika" school which his father is in the alumni. Hopefully the school will be able to give him sufficient support.

Thks again.

Rgds,

hope05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hope05 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:40 am

pingsped wrote:I know KKH or Child Devm Clinic has a School Readiness Test. I've seen many kids who have taken it. The findings/recommendations are not binding. Parents can choose to ignore or accept them.

I'll just mention the "recommended-to-defer" kids.
Some do okay or well in school and some don't.

Those who do okay tend to have very good support eg stay-at-home mums, on-going therapy, supportive teachers, nurturing schools (ie tests are of reasonable difficulty), parents who are able to guide and teach their kids WELL, etc

Those who don't do well tend to have multiple diagnoses eg dyslexia-ADHD, dyslexia-dyspraxia. Some have assessed IQ of about 60-80s. Parent support is not comparable to above group. For those who also have behavioural issues, key variables are parent support/personality and child's temperament & IQ.

Dont-do-well refers to
A) Band4 from P1 onwards for all subjects
B) Band 4 from P3 onwards for all subjects
C) some Band 4 for some subjects from P2 onwards

Doing okay refers to having mostly passes (Band1-3) and happy childhood.

If private centres' assessment do not have a school visit or teacher interview, I think you can ignore it. Psychological assessments predict school success but a lot depends on quality of home support and school environment.

I've seen many kids who thrive or crumble. The label is not impt. Getting the right help is!

Hi there

Thanks for yr feedback.

Rgds,

hope05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lih_rabbit » Fri May 20, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi, I would like to know, if my child is already accepted in the school but the assessment which is done after the P1 registration exercise highlighted that it's best for him to defer for a year. Does that mean we get to keep the place in that school till the following year or we still have to go through the registration process again? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

lih_rabbit
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties