All About (Global) Development Delays

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Re: All About (Global) Development Delays

Post by zac's mum » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Braydenmummy,

It is not easy for you. Maybe some other forummers can share their experience with GDD from around age 2?

I have one friend whose girl is age 7 with GDD, she is undergoing physiotherapy for her writing skills and in the meantime her mum requested to MOE to delay 1 year to enter P1 when age 8.

Your boy is still young, age 2 some boys are still babbling also. So it's hard to determine if the speech delay is due to GDD or just normal. Likewise the mental thinking cannot be determined until older until he talks or able to point to picture cards, probably around 3-4 years old?

From what u mentioned, there is gradual improvement right? Like recently able to sit in high chair? Please celebrate the improvements, don't compare with other kids because it won't help your mood. He needs your love and support even if he doesn't show any response yet. Please take care of yourself too, hopefully u have someone to take over when u need a temporary break from motherhood.

Braydenmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Braydenmummy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 am

Thanks Zac's mum,

My boy is still on breastfeeding, so I couldn't get alone time to go for a break or something. As without me he couldn't go to sleep or nap. And all the stress kept piling on top. I really just hope that he could be more independent and I could actually have a break and let me walk further together with him in life.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by zac's mum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Braydenmummy, I have sent u a PM. Please check your inbox :please:

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Snow24 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:02 am

Hi Brayden Mummy

GDD child need more time to reach milestones.As long as you continue to work with him not give up you will see improvement. Is good news he can turn and babble now.Babble is the beginning of language trying to communicate.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Snow24 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:06 am

Hi
Does GDD child might have social skills issues? Eg don't know how to interact with peers appropriately? Or basically GDD is just slower to reach milestones.

mimikyu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mimikyu » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:14 am

ali50n wrote:Any parents with GDD kids in mainstream schools? Cos my daughter is now in mainstream school, want to know how to see if she is suited for mainstream school or not?
Hi I would like to find out more as well.

My boy is diagnosed with speech delayed but we went for an IQ test recently and find out he scored below avg. The psychologist also did school readiness for him, suggested he could actually go to pri sch next year, don't need to defer him. The doctor will write a letter to school to get allied educator to support him.

Im still alittle worried. If any parents has similar experience can share how child is coping and what can we as parents do to prepare them ..
Thank u :hugs:

mimikyu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mimikyu » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 am

Snow24 wrote:Hi
Does GDD child might have social skills issues? Eg don't know how to interact with peers appropriately? Or basically GDD is just slower to reach milestones.
Hi
sometime for a child with GDD, he/she might take a longer time to learn how to interact with peers / interact appropriately.
My boy was diagnosed with speech delayed last time. when he was 3 year old, childcare teacher always feedback he only play alone / play beside with others but no interaction. Now he is 6 years old, he could actually develop friendship with peers - has a best friend in school.
I guess they just need a bit more time than typical kids..:)

mimikyu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mimikyu » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 am

April_ting wrote:Hi parents,

Glad that i found this forum =)my son (22mths)has been diagnosed with GDD and the doc suggest that i enrol him into one of the EIPIC centers. I understand that the session is between 2-3hrs, does anyone of you send your kid to a mainstream childcare after the session?
Hi april_ting

I have a child gdd/speech delayed and also a special need teacher as well.
In my school, there are quite a number of students who are dual schooling. It will take awhile for the child to get use to the timing and routine .
For my own child, he will attend CC in the morning and afternoon go EIPIC , it take 1 term for my boy to get use to it...

I hope the info is helpful... ;)

Mrodd
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Mrodd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello,

Never give up on your child's progress. Might be slow but with the right approach, there will be progress.
Try out multi-sensory approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwp-s1y13Hk&t=7s

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Snow24 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:33 am

Hi

What kind of school support or assistance are available for GDD child when in mainstream primary school.

Beside defer entering P1 is, there anything else, we can help the child to make improvements.

Can GDD be cured over time.