All About (Global) Development Delays

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
choute
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About (Global) Development Delays

Post by choute » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi hlchionh,

Thank you very much for the information. It is very useful. Then I need to work hard with the kid to try to catch up or at least reduce the gap. Unfortunately I am a working mum, don't have much time to spend with DD on weekdays, and don't want to give my mum who is taking care of DD too much pressure.
Do you happen to know If there are places where we can send the kid regularly like twice or three times a week for gross motor skills training done by therapist? Or any therapist can come to home to train the kid? Thanks!

hlchionh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by hlchionh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi Choute,

U r welcome. I only know that Rainbow school and Thye Hua Kwan provide such a therapy in their centre. Kids can attend class up to 3 times a week.
U can try to Google it. My son used to attend rainbow school 3times a week 2hours each lesson in the afternoon and morning goes to PCF kindergarten.
Oh you may check AWWA too.

choute
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by choute » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Thank you so much hlchionh :-)

kay_liz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kay_liz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:03 am

Hi everyone, I have a child in K1 who is also diagnosed with GDD. Her delays are mainly in language and cognitive. She is not able to read, recognize alphabets, numbers, or write her own name. Also, she is chatty but does not talk much in sch.

She is currently attending a full day childcare. Since Sep last year, she is on the waiting list to EIPIC and going for speech therapy sessions at NUH. As the costs of EIPIC will add on to the chikdcare costs, we even considered sending her to a full day special school. However, we visited the nearest sch and feel that it is not suitable for her.

I recently got the slot for EIPIC but due to the logistics arrangement, I gave up the slot. Because it is a daily thing and she has to travel to and fro, missing half a day of her childcare time. So I sent my girl to a private early intervention centre (non-subsidized) and she has shown a little progress.

As she's in K1 now, the teacher expects more from her and I feel very sorry for my girl because I do know the difficulty she is facing. In fact due to her reluctance to speak much, she do not have a good friend in school. :( My worries also extend to the fact that she needs to reg for P1 next year, I'm not so sure if she can cope in primary school.

Is there any support group that parents can join and discuss about our child? Sometimes I feel very stressed and tired because not many people can understand my kid's situation.

mimikyu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mimikyu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 am

hi kay_Li
my boy is gdd- mainly delay in language and take longer to learn new things.
He is now is in primary 1, he does need the extra attention from teacher. there are time that teacher will update me say my boy can't catch up during lesson so I will need revise with him at home. Before he start p1 , we have informed the Pri sch and pass all document (SLT report/IQ test) so sch has make necessary modified to help him cope. At the same time , he does still need therapy session. But honestly the p1 standard is very high now , got a shock when I saw the hme work
hope this info helps
maybe you can pm me I can share more with you

Cline
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Cline » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi, I have gdd daughter (delayed by 9 months in language and gross motor).

She was born prematurely with moderate hearing loss in one ear and moderate hyperopia. She is learning to control her emotion at school, she would cry if her friends clean up the toys as instructed by teacher. Currently under waiting list for eipic program.

Finding childcare is very difficult as I need to look for low student teacher ratio and close concept classroom.

She is chatty at home, able to ask question and speak in sentence, but she rarely speak at school. It is also difficult to teach abc and counting.

I am worry if she ever catches up the delay and go to mainstream p1.

hlchionh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by hlchionh » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am

Hi kay_Liz and Cline,

Financial is definitely a burden to the family with kid with special need. For GDD case sometime our case I feel is neither here nor there. The progress is real slow and mummy we are draining. Other mummies won't understand the level of stress we are gg through.
At least here we can get to know each other who are facing the similar problem but just different level.
My son is GDD P3 with poor attention and concentration and very bad temper issues that I'm struggling to handle.

We went through a lot since he is 3 yrs old. Seem by ST, OT, went for dyslexia class for 1 year but end up say not dyslexia.
Went to Epic Rainbow school when he is K2. Follow up with AWWA home based therapy with school AED support too.
I pity him gg through so much and not forgetting all the school and tuition homework.

Cline, for your girl who has both hearing and vision issues needed even more of your time to guide her. My son went through KKH OT session where the OT taught me how to teach him alphabet and numbers and slowly he is learning. So just suggesting to start therapy asap so that the gap in Pri school wont be that big.

Hope this helps ladies. We have a long journey and not forgetting CNY coming with more housework and marketing to do.
加油 !!!

kay_liz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by kay_liz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi hlchionh,

Yes we need to be strong for our kids' sake! I was very upset yesterday when I went to my girl's sch. Her teacher asked how she is progressing with the private therapy lessons she is attending. I replied that she has attended for about 8 lessons so far but I have seen some progress - from not being able to recognize alphabets & numbers to able to know quite a few of it now. As for writing, from not able to write, she can write a few letters with assistance (teacher to put dots for her to know the starting point or to write in dotted letters for her to trace).

To which her teacher said, "but you know our K1s are way further than just writing on dots, there is no tracing and they write independently." To me, since she is aware of my child's condition, what does she expect? The words that she put across was a little insensitive. And it made me feel that my child doesn't seem to fit in? I don't know why but I was quite affected. I spoke to the principal and said I am looking at the option to send her for a sch that has integrated early intervention programs.

However, not so sure if I can afford? Or should I switch to a normal half day kindy, where the fees are cheaper and she can have lunch at home? Since it makes no diff for her to be in a full or half day, if she is not able to catch up? Moreover she refuse to eat lunch in sch. If she goes to a half day kindergarten, she can at least rest in the noon and have proper lunch or nap?

hlchionh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by hlchionh » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi kay_liz,

Ya I understand the stress u r gg thru as I went through it too.
Child care teachers are not trained in teaching kids with special needs.
When there's a kid that cannot follow or give behavioural problem, they will always ask parent to send to KK for checkup and this really put lots of stress to us.
My son first childcare went through a 2 weeks trial and the Principal said that they cannot handle him and said we should consider sending him for checkup and want us to get someone to stay through the day with him if we still want him to be in their childcare. This is nonsense if I can send someone to stay with him throughout the day then what for I look for a childcare.
This makes me supper depressed and mad.
Second child care stayed for almost 2years and the teachers also cannot handle him anymore so we went round looking for kindergarten that can take him in. Finally mid of K1 he went to a half day kindergarten and the half day at Rainbow for EIPIC.
EIPIC is Mon, Wed and Fri with transport and I find it definitely helping him. Although the progress is slow but at least we able to find resources to help the poor child.

choute
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by choute » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi,

My dd is 14 months plus, not walking yet. She is attending monthly PT at Nuh.

Recently I had another concern, she is still not able to pincer grasp. Anyone had the same experience? Can share how to help the little one?
Many thanks!