All About (Global) Development Delays

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Re: All About (Global) Development Delays

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:07 pm

choute wrote:Hi,

My dd is 14 months plus, not walking yet. She is attending monthly PT at Nuh.

Recently I had another concern, she is still not able to pincer grasp. Anyone had the same experience? Can share how to help the little one?
Many thanks!
Every child has their own timetable. My older girl didn't walk till 18 mths. Just encourage lots of activity (don't carry her too much) and put some toys on chairs etc to encourage her to pull to standing. Don't use walkers.

For pincer grasp - give her toys that require using her fingers to pick things up. She will get there in the end.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by laughingcat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:24 pm

slmkhoo, can explain why discourage using walker? I thought using walker is the prelude to walking?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:69

Post by Estéema » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:21 pm

laughingcat wrote:slmkhoo, can explain why discourage using walker? I thought using walker is the prelude to walking?

@ LC Walkers do not help with muscle devpt and the motivation to get the child to learn achievement fr own effort. I rmbr I used to tease my kids with toys as moving targets. Mine started walking day before celebrating 1st birthday. Generally, girls develop language earlier than motor movements tho.

I rmbr docs discourage those walkers with wheels as they've seen too many toddlers @ A&E with foot caught in btwn.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by laughingcat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Oh I see.....hahhaha

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Same with those 摇篮 it seems some physicians believe parents/maids can shake too hard & cause damages to the babies' brain devpt.

With babies & young toddlers, it's advisable to hv playtime holding them more - hugging on yr chest when u exercise, lay them down & hold a shaker ard the child to get them to follow item, respond & turn their heads & gradually progress to turning their bodies.

Talk to your babies & toddlers more, even if they're not responding. Don't expect immediate response bcoz each child takes diff time to develop their neck muscles, back muscles, legs & hand muscles ... even facial muscles are immense in a human anatomy - mouth muscles as they develop they'll be ready for solid food once the muscles are stronger to swallow, nasal muscles help them to babble & as they babble more, u'll hope to hear them form better words - imitating mummy & daddy. Ano way is to read to the child. Oftentimes we do motherese with our babies, at some point enunciate slowly & clearly & yr child will learn good oral skills as their ear muscles pick up good pronunciation fr you - their 1st teacher!

Have patience & hv fun with your kids. Take lots of videos & u'll never regret those moments when u look back.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:02 pm

hlchionh wrote:Hi everyone, is there any support group for parent with kid with GDD? my son is P3 this year in mainstream. His temper is quite hard to manage lately. very stressful

Hi hlchionh,

I'm sorry I didn't know this thread was started.

Hope yr son has settled down to Term 2. Some kids need mummy's help to ease into new sch term esp if P3 assigned to new class. They need the comfor of yr presence to kick-start and u can gradually move further away & let go to build his emotional independence. Don't focus on his temper (just his way of expressing discomfort). Any possibility to volunteer in sch - for assembly, canteen or library duties? At least he's aware tho u're not in his classroom, u're there in sch & he can hv teabreak with you. Encourage him to bring his buddy/buddies to share a fruit or muffins. Hope this suggestion helps your young chap grow to be a happy & well-adjusted young man. :love:

choute
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by choute » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:27 pm

slmkhoo wrote:

Recently I had another concern, she is still not able to pincer grasp. Anyone had the same experience? Can share how to help the little one?
Many thanks!
Every child has their own timetable. My older girl didn't walk till 18 mths. Just encourage lots of activity (don't carry her too much) and put some toys on chairs etc to encourage her to pull to standing. Don't use walkers.

For pincer grasp - give her toys that require using her fingers to pick things up. She will get there in the end.

Thank you Slmkhoo!

Can you give some examples of toys? Having been giving her puff to feed herself for a few months, she has no problem putting small piece of food in the mouth, just not pincer grasp.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 am

choute wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:

Many thanks!

Thank you Slmkhoo!

Can you give some examples of toys? Having been giving her puff to feed herself for a few months, she has no problem putting small piece of food in the mouth, just not pincer grasp.
About walkers:
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/x554838/sh ... aby-walker

Developing pincer grasp:
https://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year ... grasp.aspx

choute
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by choute » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:17 pm

Thank you so much Slmkhoo! Really appreciate it.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:53 pm

For those need more understanding of Autism to help your child connect, communicate & learn everyday using appropriate activities in their development journey, try getting this book :

Title : An Early Start for your Child with Autism

Authors : Sally J Rogers
Geraldine Dawson
Laurie A Vismara

Hope this comes in useful