All About (Global) Development Delays

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
choute
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About (Global) Development Delays

Post by choute » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:50 pm

lazysummerdayz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:20 am
choute wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:15 pm
Dr at NUH advised us to do mri n genetic testing. Haven’t made up our mind. MRI need sedation, not sure if there is a risk, dd is 2 years n 3 month. As for genetics test, understand that even if can find something, in most of the cases, there is no cure, while may impact dd insurance plan.

Anyone have done it for the the child? Can share the experience please? Thanks.
Hi! We have done MRI and genetic testing for our son. MRI came back normal while genetic test came back positive. You are quite right abt the impact to insurance, we cldnt get insurance coverage (not even hospitalisation plan). Think it is best to consult friends who are agents and settle the insurance first b4 gg for the test.

You are also right that currently there is no cure for genetic disorders. But the test result somewhat provided a closure, in terms of confirming what was the exact issue, as we had spent months in the dark not knowing what was wrong with our son and how we cld help him. With more clarity on his genetic disorder, we have a better idea of the prognosis and what to expect, and we managed to get in touch with support group (families with kids having same genetic disorder) to access more resources. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the sharing.

Ella455
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: All About (Global) Development Delays

Post by Ella455 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:36 am

Hi, Choute!
I understand how you feel and I know that it is hard to deal with your son's condition. I am wondering if how do you cope up with the challenges. How do you handle the stressful days of worrying for him?