Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Selective Mutism

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Re: Selective Mutism-Any treatment in singapore?

Postby pingsped » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:41 am

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: All About Selective Mutism

Postby not on facebook » Mon May 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Not sure if this thread is still active.. I pasted my comment on the Autism page but this thread seems to be quite close to the issues im facing.. appreciate any help I can get on this topic.

Need some advice. My son's going to Pri 1 next year, and his therapist says I need to work on some issues with him. He's diagnosed with Aspergers. The most pressing issue now is that he won't open his mouth to ask for help, or to ask to go toilet etc during class. His kindy is only 3 hrs long so he will go toilet at home before class, and when he comes home after class - but primary school is gonna be a lot longer and I'm sure he won't be able to hold it in. I've tried speaking to him about it, and he promises me that he will ask the teacher for permission when he needs to go.. but so far he hasnt. In fact he has wet his pants twice during therapy because he refused to ask to go toilet. Same thing about refusing to ask for help.. he'll dawdle over the work until his teacher/therapist notices and comes over to help. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas how I can help him along? Thank you!

not on facebook
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pingsped » Thu May 09, 2013 12:45 am

I guess you could try this

A) when therapist notices signs eg squirming in seat, use a nonverbal prompt eg pointing to pix / written words

B) get child to ask for toilet break at a fixed time eg 1 hr after therapy starts (desensitization / reduce anxiety at speaking up ) it may help to guzzle more water before therapy

C) functional behv analysis
Problems : getting teacher's attention, fear of speaking up, inability to speak from a distance/unable to project voice, Sensory - affected by classroom noise etc,

Children with sensory issues may need to hold something to 'distract' Or ease anxiety

C)

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby not on facebook » Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 am

pingsped wrote:I guess you could try this

A) when therapist notices signs eg squirming in seat, use a nonverbal prompt eg pointing to pix / written words

B) get child to ask for toilet break at a fixed time eg 1 hr after therapy starts (desensitization / reduce anxiety at speaking up ) it may help to guzzle more water before therapy

C) functional behv analysis
Problems : getting teacher's attention, fear of speaking up, inability to speak from a distance/unable to project voice, Sensory - affected by classroom noise etc,

Children with sensory issues may need to hold something to 'distract' Or ease anxiety

C)

Thanks.. the problem is he wont even ask to go.. any ideas how to start getting him to start asking?

not on facebook
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Gifts from Heaven » Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm

hi not on facebook,
did u teach your child the words to use when asking for help or when need to go to the toilet? does he kn who he can approach for help? maybe he is lost for words on how to request for help. my aspie boy will sometimes act up when he doesnt kn wat/how to say.
does your child have problem asking for help or saying he needs to go toilet at home?
is ur therapist working on social skills or speech with him? if so, u can ask the therapist to train him on this aspect of requestg for help.

Gifts from Heaven
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby not on facebook » Thu May 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Gifts from Heaven wrote:hi not on facebook,
did u teach your child the words to use when asking for help or when need to go to the toilet? does he kn who he can approach for help? maybe he is lost for words on how to request for help. my aspie boy will sometimes act up when he doesnt kn wat/how to say.
does your child have problem asking for help or saying he needs to go toilet at home?
is ur therapist working on social skills or speech with him? if so, u can ask the therapist to train him on this aspect of requestg for help.

Yup I've taught him.. his kindy has taught him also since Nursery. He doesnt have a problem going to toilet or asking for help at home. So for him, its not abt not knowing the words, but actually asking and inadvertently attracting attention to himself, I suspect.
His social skills therapist is helping him with asking for help, because what he does now is to keep quiet until she notices he needs help.

not on facebook
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pingsped » Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 pm

What I mean is to fix a routine temporarily
Eg your child has to ask for toilet at 1pm whether he needs to go or not.
The therapist should not ask verbally. He can just tap at the clock & wait for the child. If there's no response, use a written cue card for him to read out the request.

Asking the child verbally if he needs help or toilet break, will reduce a child's chances of speaking up. as the child gets used to speaking up, the anxiety will go away gradually.

Try to work with teachers to give him a chance to speak up regularly eg telling class the date . I once observed a great Chinese teacher who will get the kids to answer questions abt date, weather etc daily. Since it's predictable the shy kids are less anxious

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby dimension » Tue May 14, 2013 10:23 am

i wonder if this is really that rare or is it just less known and no one looks out for it... because the children are still functional and less obvious and disruptive to other ppl vs autism

dimension
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jlim » Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm

When my ds was diagnosed with SM in p1, I print out leaflet for his teachers to hv a better understanding on SM. Then I 'trouble' his Ft to give him toilet break as and when depending on teacher's timetable. My ds is in p6 this year. In p 4, he started to go to the toilet before recess is over. Since p5, he was able to ask for permission when very urgent. It's important to inform and communicate with the teachers frequently to assured the child and build his confidence.

jlim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby dimension » Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm

wondering who u all see to get diagnosis? where to start? thanks

also on a side note do all kids outgrow this?
anyone know bigger kids like sec sch still will?

dimension
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres