All About Delayed Speech

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

All About Delayed Speech

Postby kash313 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello everyone,
I really need some help to understand why my boy aged preciesly 4 years 6 months can not communicate his ideas properly. He can not talk for 5 minutes continously on one subject though he knows a lot about it he cant simply put it in words.
I see children from his own age group most of them can talk like an adult and put up their ideas very clearly. My boy still speaks only 4 to 5 words in one sentence thats all.
Any idea how do i improve his communication skill and how to encourage him to talk more? I am really fustrated now. :cry:

kash313
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Wed May 26, 2010 12:28 pm

talk to him more often, getting him to verbalize events or games that he had just done and give him lots & lots of encouragements.

Also to build up his vocab by using more adjectives in your communication with him. Like, "Can you see that big white dog by the small bush with yellow flowers?" instead of just "can you see that dog over there?"

good luck !

:celebrate:

tankee
Site Admin

Re: lack of communication skill in K1 kid.

Postby jedamum » Wed May 26, 2010 1:11 pm

kash313 wrote:Hello everyone,
I really need some help to understand why my boy aged preciesly 4 years 6 months can not communicate his ideas properly. He can not talk for 5 minutes continously on one subject though he knows a lot about it he cant simply put it in words.
I see children from his own age group most of them can talk like an adult and put up their ideas very clearly. My boy still speaks only 4 to 5 words in one sentence thats all.
Any idea how do i improve his communication skill and how to encourage him to talk more? I am really fustrated now. :cry:

my boy who is precisely 1 year younger than your boy is facing the same issue when compared to his peers. he is currently undergoing speech therapy sessions.
may i ask if your boy watches tv?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kash313 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Hello,
To Tankee: Thanks will sure work on it.
To Jedamum : he does watch TV but say only 30 min a day.
May I ask is speech therapy of use to your kid and where do you go may be I can take my boy too.

kash313
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu May 27, 2010 12:10 am

kash313,

pm-ed you. hope it helps.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby gerberadaisy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Jedamum

Just saw this thread. My boy who is also aged 4 years 6 months is also not very good in articulating his thoughts. The educational psychologist that he saw previously recommended either speech therapy or speech and drama classes. I think speech therapy could get a bit technical and may put the child off, whereas speech and drama is more fun and the child gets to learn in a non-threatening environment. May I know whether you find the speech therapy effective, and which speech therapist have you been going to, and also the rates?

Would appreciate your advice. Many thanks!

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 pm

gerberadaisy,
i just dig out my email to kash313.
will pm you the details i wrote about my boy's therapy.
:)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby gerberadaisy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:20 am

Hi Jedamum

Many thanks! Will wait for your pm.

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kash313 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 pm

hi,
after getting all the valuable guidance from kiasu users i hav started speech n drsma classes for him at Lorna whinston.
Also we talk a lot on any and every subject n rather then only providing information to him we encourage him to talk.
also say once every week i talk with him how important it is for him to talk well so that he is not leftout among the group and luckily he understands and i appreciate him when he talks well.
I laised with his class teacher and discussed with her my worry n took her opinion that too helped a lot.
the diffrence in my son is so visible within this short time that some parents asked me how did i do it. i feel its not any one thing but all the efforts together contributed in his improvement and its still a continous battle.......

kash313
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby gerberadaisy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi kash313

Glad to hear that your son has improved tremendously. So you think the lessons at Lorna Wiston has helped your son tremendously? May I know how often is the speech and drama lessons?

I'm considering either Julia Gabriel, Lorna Winston or Magic Moments for my son who is not very articulate. Julia Gabriel and Lorna Winston are not very convenient to us. Magic Moments is starting a new class at the CC near my place. But not sure if it is effective. Do any parents out there have experience with these S&D schools? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties