All About Delayed Speech

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Delayed Speech

Post by Snow24 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi Mashy

Thanks you for your advice.Appreciate it.☺

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Snow24 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:03 am

Hi

What is the frequency for speech therapy In order to be effective?

mignonne
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by mignonne » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Speech therapy needs to be weekly in order to be effective. We also practice with our son 2-3 times a day.

wish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by wish » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:05 pm

scang wrote:
princesses2 wrote:
If your girl is just speech delay perhaps it would be better to send her to speech therapy if fanancially you can afford & send her to a kindy rather than childcare so you have more time to work on her speech at home. I have to warn you tho that is not easy to find a school that could accept our kids. I have been told by the psychologist, therapist & even EIPIC center to send my boy to school so he could interact with his peers but am having a hard time looking for a kindy or childcare with half a day programme. Some told me frankly that they are unable to cope with special needs kid. We intend to send him to enrichment classes instead just to expose him to his peers.

More interactions will help her. Encourage her to speak thru daily routines like ask if she wants milk & teach her to nod or shake her head if she doesn't want to say yes/no. The speech will come eventually. Good luck!
For childcare and kindy, look for Integrated Child Care Programme (ICCP).
They cater to special needs kids, but there are located at selected parts of singapore.

A complete listing of ICCP centres in Singapore:
ICCP

I had bad experience with one of the cc under this list. All the best in finding the best childcare for the kids.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Snow24 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi

Anybody using Picture Exchange communication system (PECS) for language delayed child?

Is it effective ?How to use it?

wish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by wish » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi
This is a recommended approach. Basically it using visual aids to help the kid better understand the instructions.

Some parents also label their household items e.g. sofa, table, chair to help the kid associate the word with the items and encourage them during talking.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Snow24 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi

My child was speech delayed.He is learning to use one or two words now but he echolalia what I said I wonder is it "normal" for child to do that while learning to talk.

How to help him to increase the number of words he can learn to say.

By what age to gauge child should not echolalia.

How to overcome echolalia .

mimikyu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mimikyu » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:24 am

Snow24 wrote:Hi

Anybody using Picture Exchange communication system (PECS) for language delayed child?

Is it effective ?How to use it?
hi snow24
i started to use PECs when my boy has single word. after 9 Mths of using it, he could say short sentences ...

Mrodd
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Mrodd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:55 pm

You can also try speech exercises at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_E8Fjj9NY

Tigermomof2
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Tigermomof2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 am

Hi All,

Want to seek advice here for my 15 month old boy who is not speaking yet, speaking as in doesn’t call me and hubby papa or mama or no or korkor etc

Sometimes he say papa or mama but he is not calling us, he doesn’t point and does not understand simple commands, like “give me this” or “no throwing”. he does wave goodbye - that is the only thing he knows. sometimes doesn’t look at us when I call him when he is focusing on something else. I’m really worried that there is something wrong with him.. so thinking of bringing him for a assessment, but I don’t know where to go. Would you be able to share where I can bring him for assessment and also what to expect and also he cost.

I read in the internet that babies should know at least 50 single words by 18 months.

Comparing him to his elder Brother who is 5 now, his Brother learnt to walk at 10 months and talked at about 12-13 months old. He was late in crawling and walking, he only learn to walk at about 13 months or maybe 14 months, crawling was at about 1 year old!

TIA