Auditory processing difficulties

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Auditory processing difficulties

Postby Audvis » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 am

Hi,
I suspect my 3 yr old has deficits in auditory processing. She had speech delay earlier on. Now, I play listening games with her by shaking different musical instruments, eg shaker, tambourine, bell etc and ask her to identify the instrument by hearing the sound produced, she cannot.
Any ideas how to help kids improve their auditory processing? Other than going for occupational therapy, which i have just started?
I am really scared cos this can affect her learning phonics and hence reading. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Audvis
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Auditory processing difficulties

Postby peanut_butter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 am

I do not have kids with that issue but I may have APD myself.

I think auditory processing deficits has to do with 'filtering' out high frequency words like life and knife, seems and sings. Musical instruments isn't much help because you are discriminating the timber/tone, rather than the frequency. I could usually tell the gender of a professional pianist by hearing but couldn't I pronounce my students' names properly.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby windie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:38 pm

My son has APD but he reads very well. Other than OT, a special Ed therapist wil be able to help with strategies to cope with this. Don't worry as she is still young, a lot can be done. If u want more info, feel free to PM me.

windie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby laughingcat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Audvis wrote:Hi,
I suspect my 3 yr old has deficits in auditory processing. She had speech delay earlier on. Now, I play listening games with her by shaking different musical instruments, eg shaker, tambourine, bell etc and ask her to identify the instrument by hearing the sound produced, she cannot.
Any ideas how to help kids improve their auditory processing? Other than going for occupational therapy, which i have just started?
I am really scared cos this can affect her learning phonics and hence reading. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

You might want to seek another former for advice who is jedamum.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 23&t=24090

Hopefully it helps.

Rgds

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Audvis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi,
Thank you all for your useful suggestions.

Jedamum, does your child have auditory processing difficulties? Hope you can share your experience.

Audvis
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby laughingcat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 pm

PM her as she does not come to this thread. It will be much faster that way. Alternatively you can go to post #1 of the above link that I have attached. :wink: don't worry too much yeah

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Audvis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 am

Hi laughingcat, Jedamum has already pm me. Thanks!

Audvis
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gerberadaisy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Audvis

My 5 year+ son may also have AFD, even though he is not officially diagnosed because AFD cannot be accurately diagnosed before age 7. I've sent him to a learning centre where he receives training in auditory skills using a softcare programme called Earobics. The home-based version can be purchased overseas (not sold locally) and used at home. There's also another computer-based programme called Fast ForWord that has apparently received good reviews.

I'm still monitoring my son's progress (as he's only started about 2 months ago), hence can't comment if the training has been effective.

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Hey folks,
After reading this thread, I dunno whether DH has mild auditory processing disorder. I've noticed that he often cannot make out what people are saying. Most of the time, it's me he can't understand, and I have to repeat myself 3 or more times or spell the word out. He insists I don't talk loud enough, or clearly enough, but while my volume can be quite low, I believe I enunciate quite clearly.

But I've also noticed it with other people. Say we go to a restaurant together, and the waiter comes and tells us something about the menu. It's not uncommon for him to totally not understand the waiter, or understand something totally different. Sometimes I will see the two sides talk at cross purposes because DH misunderstands what he hears and answers based on what he thinks is being said. I usually have to butt in and act as an "interpreter".

I often find that he "forgets" or has no recollection of the stuff I tell him. I thought maybe it was because he's been stressed at work, and very tired from sleeping late.

We actually went for a hearing test because I thought he had problems with his hearing, but it came back fine.

DH appears to be OK at work and performed very well at school. But of course, if I went to him to work I may find instances of him not understanding what people are saying.

I'm wondering if any adult here has experience with this and if it's worth the effort to go get a diagnosis?

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Audvis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi gerberadaisy
Which school provides training using earobics? Is it backed by scientific research? Is your kid using earobics, or Fastforword, or both? You're right - I hv read somewhere tt FFW has been validated by scientific research.
This is not to say those methods not backed by research do not work. It is just that I tend to be more careful when using them, since there is no guaranteed success.

Audvis
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties