P1 Deferment

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Re: P1 Deferment

Post by sembgal » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 pm

I heard of a case that the child had language delay and applied for deferment to enter Pri 1 next year and the child downgraded from K2 to K1 this year. This may be a good move.

Another case that I have heard is a child with (GDD) Global Developmental Delay. The child repeated 2 years of Nursery before moving on to K1 for a year. Instead of moving on to K2, the child was placed in Chaoyang by the parents upon the doctor's advice.

Another case is the ASD child did not seek deferment to Pri 1 and went to normal mainstream. Halfway through, Pathlight has vacancy and the parents transferred the child to Pathlight. Reason: Parents believe that Pathlight has a better student teacher-child ratio, is better at supporting the ASD child. According to the parent, some parents of ASD children die die must put them in mainstream Pri school to "saveguard their face". Instead, Pathlight is a better choice as ultimately, Pathlight will prepare the child for PSLE. Going to Pathlight means an alternative route for an ASD child who may struggle to fit into mainstream. After all, it is the child that attends school, not the parents.

I think it goes case by case. The best person to seek advice from is an educational psychologist.
Last edited by sembgal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nugget
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by nugget » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi DesertWind

Thanks for asking. I am well. And feeling jitters as well about P1. Haha.

I don't think my son fully grasp what is P1 too. I think he is more drawn to the school compound than its curriculum. Socially wise he is still having a big gap. But classroom behavioral wise I think he is somewhat ready, he would required a lot of prompting though.

Yes, seeing him so looking forward to P1, I don't have the heart to defer him for no good reason. But I guess I will work with his therapist and teachers, read to him and show him videos what a typical Primary school is like.

We are also preping him intensively on academics so he wont have a shocked and get totally clueless when he goes into lessons. Sad to say, we have focus so much on all the therapies, we have somewhat neglected his academic training. Lucky for us, even though there are so many tuition lessons (english, maths, chinese) he has to attend now, he is quite receptive and doesn't hate attending it.

I was told that regardless pass or fail, you will still get promoted year after year in Primary School. We tell ourselves son have 6 years to prep for his PSLE. So lets take it one step at a time.

Its not going to be an easy journey, but we will give it our best shot.

SAHM Chew
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by SAHM Chew » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:39 pm

My DS3 is born in 2008 And need to register him in 2014 for his P1 in 2015. As he is under the siblings' phase, he will register him in mar 2014.

DS3 has GDD and has been undergoing private Speech therapies and occupational therapies for the past 2 years.

His Doc in JMC recommends that I register him in mar 2014 and then nearer to end of 2014, then decide if he is suitable to enter P1 as he may be more ready for P1 at the end of the year compare to mar 2014 as he has delay of around 1 year.

My question, when is the deadline to do the deferment for P1? Can I do it in oct or nov 2014?

How much is the psychologist test? Is it a compulsory to do the psychologist test to get the deferment?

Thanks

lynntan15
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by lynntan15 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:18 pm

SAHM Chew wrote:My question, when is the deadline to do the deferment for P1? Can I do it in oct or nov 2014?

How much is the psychologist test? Is it a compulsory to do the psychologist test to get the deferment?

Thanks
To do deferment, please ensure you have

1)Psychologist report (recommend for deferment) - think compulsory. KKH is cheaper but need to wait for an appointment. Maybe less than SGD500? Pte think can go around SGD1.5k.
2) Send the psychologist report to MOE
3) A letter stating a confirmed place in K2 for next year for the deferred child. Can be exiting child care/kindergarden or new child care/kindergarden.

Good to do the psychologist report around Aug/Sep time. You can register for the kid in P1 first and arrange to withdraw if decides to defer the child.

SAHM Chew
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by SAHM Chew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:02 pm

lynntan15 wrote:
SAHM Chew wrote:My question, when is the deadline to do the deferment for P1? Can I do it in oct or nov 2014?

Thanks
To do deferment, please ensure you have

1)Psychologist report (recommend for deferment) - think compulsory. KKH is cheaper but need to wait for an appointment. Maybe less than SGD500? Pte think can go around SGD1.5k.
2) Send the psychologist report to MOE
3) A letter stating a confirmed place in K2 for next year for the deferred child. Can be exiting child care/kindergarden or new child care/kindergarden.

Good to do the psychologist report around Aug/Sep time. You can register for the kid in P1 first and arrange to withdraw if decides to defer the child.
Thanks for the information :)

Teacher Lin
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Teacher Lin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Hi Mummies,

As an early childhood professional who had previous teaching experiences with autistic and dyslexic children, I hear and can empathise with your feelings, insecurities and concerns. I support inclusive practices which our education system is not ready to fully support. MOE is making some progress with the AEDs and LS programs, but the numbers of children presenting learning differences are increasing at a faster rate than they can train their AEds. Bearing this concern in mind, I have gathered a pool of teachers trained in special education to provide early intervention home support to children with learning differences to support their transition to mainstream systems. To find out more, email myself (Lena) at kidspartners@hotmail.com or call 6908 5539. I will be glad to be of support to your child and you.

Our belief: "Every Child is Special...No Child should be Left Behind"

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

P1 Deferment

Post by DesertWind » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:16 pm

After a year of deferment, boy going to P1 next year liow. Kerna called by MOE already and we have to submit which primary school my boy will be going to.

Good thing is that actually there is no need for us to register during this year's primary school registration exercise because apparently the school told us my boy already has a place at the school to start in 2015 from last year's registration!

So from now till year-end, we will have to get ready. Will need to go talk to the AED teacher again and to request to bring my boy to visit the school a few times before actual school start etc.

I can only say this time last year, I truly did not have any energy left to do all this prep. work nor have the confidence that my boy can make it hence the deferment. This year, it is much better and my boy is more ready ie. more stable and grown up.

Will it actually work? Who knows? But then all kids also got to go to primary school. Like what my mother said, all kids "no matter how stupid" also got to go to school (she was against our deferment last year).

So all the best!

lynntan15
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by lynntan15 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:42 pm

DesertWind wrote: Good thing is that actually there is no need for us to register during this year's primary school registration exercise because apparently the school told us my boy already has a place at the school to start in 2015 from last year's registration!
This is a surprise to me coz when I deferred my girl for a year in P1, I have to register her again.

The school and MOE letter also stated that I would need to re-register her again and no guarantee will be given for places in the school.

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by luvmum » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Mine too..There is no reservation of seats when I chk with the school that time. But I'm really relieved that I defer him albeit the bad experience at his kindy.

Not only is my son more prepared though still not on par with normal kids but the great plus point is there is a new brand sch for him. I dun hv to worry abt the big clusters of students, bullying fr the seniors, teachers having no time for him since there r so many other students to look after and academic focus since no psle benchmark to sustain. Teachers and friends hv really been fantastic thus far and not so academically inclined. It's indeed a blessing in disguise.

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by DesertWind » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:53 pm

lynntan15 wrote:This is a surprise to me coz when I deferred my girl for a year in P1, I have to register her again.

The school and MOE letter also stated that I would need to re-register her again and no guarantee will be given for places in the school.
Hi lynntan15,

Yes, that was what we were told last year as well. But this year we received another letter to contact the school directly and also confirm we already have a place in the school from last year's exercise but we deferred by one year to go in. Am still waiting for the letter from the school though which will be given after the whole P1 registration exercise is over. Actually it makes sense because we also applied to Pathlight for my boy so if he had an offer, we may not go into mainstream primary school so imagine if we had to go through P1 registration again, it would just clog up their process this year.
Last edited by DesertWind on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.