All About Speech Therapy

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
Blessedmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Blessedmum » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:18 pm

In fact my son, going P1 next year too, has some articualtion problem. Last year we brought him to sort therpy in KK (the queue wasn;t that bad). He couldn't pronounce 'S' properly and I got worried for a then 5 yo. But surprisingly, just before the appt, he could sound the 's' better. Anyway we went ahead with the accessment. We were told his problem was quite minor. We stopped going. Now, his 's' is better but he talks like he has alot of saliva in his mouth which makes his speech not as clear. MIL told me that as long as we keep reminding him to swallow saliva, he should be better. But his going P1 next year and there will be oral... Should I bring him back to see a theropist again?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:26

Post by jedamum » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:06 pm

my ds2's school ask us to go seek opinion for speech therapy too. given the very long waiting time, perhaps i should just start queuing first after his 3rd birthday and meanwhile see if my boy's pronunciation/vocabulary will improve.
he actually has a very long tongue, and according to the GP that i consulted, he may have 'geographical tongue' (supposedly harmless) too.

adafew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by adafew » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:01 pm

If waiting time is too long. Then u might want to try private speech therapy. I can't remember the names but there is at least one at Tanglin shopping center. My DS1 used to (until ard 3-4years old) confuse 'g' with 'd' ... etc...We went and actually after just one session, his is able to correct that problem...Therapist told us it about the short/long tongue reason.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:68

Post by schweppes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 pm

I think it is called Brain Train at Tanglin Shopping Centre.

Another speech and language therapist centre worth looking into is Bridges in Communication. There are 2 main therapists and they are UK trained. I believed one of the therapist used to work for SGH (if not mistaken) and the other was with the Autism Resource Centre(also, if not mistaken). However, do note that the wait list is rather long at Bridges as the therapists are very dedicated and caring.

iberis
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Brain Train at Tanglin Place

Post by iberis » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi all,

Pls dont go to Brain Train. They have send out initiative week for free trial to me and I signed up. There are 3 sessions from Mon, Wed and Fri and I can attend any of the session when I can. I purposely told day off and send my son to the school this afternoon and was told that the lesson was cancelled. I was shock as after the confimation invite that the in charge has sent to me, I did not receive any later mail that inform us of any cancellation. She even came up with an excuse that nobody sign up with them so they have to call it off. But in her invite, she did not state that a quota has to reach before the class is confirmed.

Ended up I went there for nothing except wasting my leave, wasting effort to bring my son back, skip lunch at it was arrange at 1.30p.m its rush for me to pick my son up and bring him in time so I got to even skip lunch.

Its all poor planning, poor timing and poor followup. when I voiced my displease, the incharge simply give a lame excuse and say you can wait for the therapy to come in at the end of the day. What kind of attitude is that. And the staff at the front counter even give you an alien look as if they dont even know that there is any trial class happening in the centre and make me feel like I am embarassing myself to turn up for it.

It keep me wondering if the whole thing is a fake just to attract people to go there.

WaWa
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Brain Train at Tanglin Place

Post by WaWa » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:03 am

iberis wrote:Hi all,

Pls dont go to Brain Train. They have send out initiative week for free trial to me and I signed up.

AGREE. I have VERY BAD experience w Brain Train too.

I have a 3 year old Autistic child. I was enticed by their early intervention programme for special needs kid advertisement in (if i rem correctly) June's copy of singapore's CHILD magazine. The trial runs for a week... and if i rem correctly, the trial runs at a "promotion rate of $100" ... when i called to enquire, i was so disappointed when the "adminstrator" kept asking me questions instead of answering my questions. She kept asking me where i saw the advertisement and claimed she has no knowledge of such intervention programme...and went on to tell me they provide 1-to-1 therapy. I then told her i saw the AD in "singapore's child" , she doesn't seem to have heard of this mag & made me repeat 3 times...

Finally my patience run dry and i was going to hang up when she told me the "in charge" must have placed an AD...i then asked to speak to incharge instead but was told in-charge (IC) was "outstationed" ...when i asked for IC's return date, she said "end of this month"... i then said "which means to say this trial is not happening cos u mentioned IC placed the AD and IC is outstationed & nobody seems to know anything abt this apart from your IC ...by the time IC is back , the trial dates will be over " ... The lady on the line then apologised & asked for my number , clarifying that even tho IC is not in town, she does "touch base" via phone & again repeated she is really unaware of such programme ...so i gave her my number.... however , i only receive a call much later (trial week has passed) from a lady whom i assume is the IC (i didn't bother to even ask as i was no longer interested looking at how disorganised things were). The supposed IC said " did u call some time ago enquiring about our centre? is there any "particular therapy u r looking at" ?? U see even a simple phone message was not passed properly (i enquired abt the early intervention programme; not any therapy)

I merely replied " thanks for calling me, i am no longer interested. thanks again"

sheryl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

How to help your child pick up his speech

Post by sheryl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi
My 2.4 yrs old son is assessed with mild delay in speech by a speech therapist. Besides going to speech therapy which is 1 to 1, any class that is in a small group where he learns to interact? What other things can we do at home to help him?

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Re: How to help your child pick up his speech

Post by cherrygal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:01 pm

sheryl wrote:Hi
My 2.4 yrs old son is assessed with mild delay in speech by a speech therapist. Besides going to speech therapy which is 1 to 1, any class that is in a small group where he learns to interact? What other things can we do at home to help him?

Is he in any childcare centre or playschool? Enrol him in one and with the social setting, he may be influenced by his peers to speak faster.

My mom believes in this, so even if we have family caregivers, we still insist on sending our kids to childcare once they reach 2yrs old. They pick up language skills and manners better there.

Surround him with cousins on weekends if you can as kids open up to kids. We adults are boring...

atfc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by atfc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:51 pm

hi, you can try out this preschool called stamford little geniuses in bugis. (www.stamford.edu.sg/genius) they are giving out free for the 1st month for new-comers.

my girl is studying there right now and its not bad. their teachers are very nice and caring. since its free, might as well try it out and see whether its suitable for your kid :)

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:63

Post by autumnbronze » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:10 pm

What other things can we do at home to help him?

Talk, talk and talk.

Talk to your child about what you are doing at home. For instance, if you are drying your hair using a hairdryer and he is in the room, just talk to him about the process of drying your hair etc. Hopefully soon, curiosity will be aroused and he may want to touch the hairdryer and learn to operate himself and hopefully that is he would have picked up words like hairdryer or start asking questions ....

Talk to your child about your day at work or how you spent your day. My DH does that a lot. He actually shares what happened at work with DS everyday if he can. And so do I, like I tell him about my shopping experience at NTUC, what I bought etc ....

Talk to him about the cartoons he is watching on tv. Or the book you are reading to him. Tell him your views. Do you think that cartoon/book character is funny? Why etc ....

Just talk about anything under the sun. Not only are you helping him in his speech, you are helping him pick up general knowledge, firing up his imagination and teaching him to be self-aware. For instance "boy, the hairdryer is not an instrument to play around with, its dangerous because ......"

And yes, as another forummer suggested, you may want him to be surrounded with kids his age, ie cousins, neighbour's kids etc ...

Later, when you see some progress, then its time to ask ask and ask ... :D

ALL THE BEST :hugs: