Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Speech Therapy

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Re: All About Speech Therapy

Postby maya_21 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:03 am

Hi All,

Came across this blog called Beyond Therapy http://headstartforlife.com.sg/blog

It has got good information and suggestions for parents on managing children especially when they encounter difficulties in their development or learning aspects.

Do check it out! :smile:

maya_21
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Blissedsher » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Would phonics class be helpful for 4 year with articulation problem?

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:27 pm

Blissedsher wrote:Would phonics class be helpful for 4 year with articulation problem?

I doubt it, unless it's one-to-one with someone who will pay attention to articulation. Phonics is more about learning to read, and if in a group setting, the teacher will probably allow anything that roughly approximates the sound being taught.

What are the problem sounds? Some sounds are harder for kids than others (because if the motor skills required), and some kids will only be able to make the more difficult sounds by 5-6yo or even later.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blissedsher » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Mainly s and r.. But there are some others random mispronounced words. He is 4 and I am wondering if I should go to speech therapist or wait for him to out grow.
Words like sit becomes shit
Sun becomes stun

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Steadyberry » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:29 pm

Blissedsher wrote:Mainly s and r.. But there are some others random mispronounced words. He is 4 and I am wondering if I should go to speech therapist or wait for him to out grow.
Words like sit becomes shit
Sun becomes stun

I didn't wait when I noticed my girl has this problem when she was 3. Took her to KK. 1st session, the therapist will test many different sounds/words. Then after that, she told me my Daughter has problem pronouncing certain words/sounds. The subsequent lessons were on correcting those she has problem with. She will teach and you will have to practise at home with your child.

I am not sure whether your child will outgrow from it but I met a p6 girl 2 yrs ago who has speech problems and stuttering. When asked her mum, she said she didn't bring her to see any doctor. She thought she was born with it and there is nothing wrong. But I told her then your oral will be affected right? She said yes because examiner might think that she is nervous. So she brought her girl to kk too and it did improve. So her condition can be treated but her mum didn't bring her earlier. She is so used to it so it might be difficult to treat later. Anyway I also told her to get a letter from the therapist to show moe that she has speech problem. At least, the examiner knows that she has problem and not nervous.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Blissedsher » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Steadyberry thank u very much for ur reply. There are Alot of people telling this n that. Giving me all sorts of advise. But really good to hear from someone whose kid has a similar experience. Thank u. It assures me that moving ahead with the assesment js the right thing to do

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Steadyberry » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 pm

you are welcome blissedsher. i m just sharing my daughter's experience. maybe she might outgrow from it but i didnt want to wait. better let the professional chk. take care.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:22 am

My older girl had problems with some sounds (can't really remember which) right up to about 7yo (she's now 19). It's really quite normal but I wouldn't wait for a child to "grow out" of it without some help. On the other hand, you can try to DIY it by modelling the sounds clearly for her, and asking her to mimic them slowly and practise. You can also tell her where to place her tongue etc which may help, especially if the child has motor difficulties (my daughter did). Encourage her to speak more slowly and deliberately, and give her time to finish speaking. Kids often rush to speak because they are afraid that adults won't wait to listen them out. "r" and "sh" and consonant clusters are usually the latest sounds to be mastered, and some kids won't manage that till 6-7yo anyway.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blissedsher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:39 am

I do practise with him the sounds but somehow he can't say it n i don't know how to help him. Like sun he says tun.. So we practise and he can only manage stun at most.

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 am

Blissedsher wrote:I do practise with him the sounds but somehow he can't say it n i don't know how to help him. Like sun he says tun.. So we practise and he can only manage stun at most.

He needs to feel the air blowing from behind his teeth. Tell him not to touch the tongue to the upper palate, and the tongue should not move. If he is not able to manage this yet, it's OK. Some kids have not yet developed the motor control necessary yet at this age. The main thing is that he can hear the difference and the people around him model the correct sounds.

Here's a chart to show when the average kid masters different sounds:
http://www.talkingchild.com/speechchart.html

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres