All About Speech Therapy

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: All About Speech Therapy

Post by Blissedsher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:11 am

thanks for ur advise simkhoo

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by jetsetter » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 am

Blissedsher wrote:I do practise with him the sounds but somehow he can't say it n i don't know how to help him. Like sun he says tun.. So we practise and he can only manage stun at most.
Blissedsher,

First, have you checked your child's tongue, in particular, his lingual frenulum at the bottom of his tongue's tip to the floor of his mouth? If he can stick out the TIP fully, instead of forming a W-shaped tongue (i.e. short tongue or tongue-tied), then no big issue with his current mispronunciation of /s/.

Next, check his hearing. Any built-up of ear wax due to frequent swimming, e.g.? Did you use Tropex?

Your PD should've given you a pronunciation milestone chart that looks like this. Average preschooler can only start to pronounce /s/ between 3 & 4 yo. (NB: follow the actual months rather than years of age, as Jan babies are effectively 11 mths ahead of Dec babies in their 4th year)
* substitutes some stops for fricatives (i.e. "tat" for "sat") increases speech rate
* may delete a syllable in multi-syllabic words simplifies words with blends 4 yrs
* 80 % - 90% intelligibility

* The following consonants emerge: /r/, /l/, /s/, /tʃ /(ch), /ʃ/ (sh), /z/
* By 4, 90% of children have mastered the following sounds in conversation: /b/, /k/, /d/, /j/ , /f/, /g/

* uses possessives (E) uses "we," "she," and "they" (E)
* uses "some," "many," and "all" (E)
* uses present progressive: is/are/am + verb ing (E) Uses some irregular verbs (E)
* Uses "can't," "not," and "didn't" (E)
* uses "hafta," "have to," and "want to" (E)
* uses 3rd person singular –s (E)

This has to do with phonetics, not phonics. Phonetics = the production of speech sounds by means of lips, tongue, teeth, alveolar, palate and vocal chords. Your child attends Phonics class to learn how to read and spell, because Phonics is a method in which physical letters are associated with sounds.

The problem is /s/ and /t/ are both alveolar sounds, and /ʃ/ (sh) is a palatal sound (just slightly behind the alveolar ridge). Because the incorrect part of the tongue has been raised to touch his alveolar ridge and palate, your child mispronounces 'sun' as 'tun' and 'sit' as 'shit', or pronounces these sounds interchangeably.

Does he have problem pronouncing 四 十 山 他 ?

You can practise hissing the sibilant /s/ aloud with him every day, so that his tongue becomes flexible enough for the FRONT of his tongue to be raised to touch the alveolar and TIP to be lowered to let air escape through a small groove at the front ('hiss out' the sound). There must be FRICTION because /s/ is an alveolar fricative. Use a snake puppet if you need.

/t/ is produced using the TIP of his tongue to touch his alveolar ridge just behind his front teeth, but there is a STOP. Conversely, /s/ is continuous. Ask him to place his hand in front of his mouth and feel the plosive (i.e. air bursting out of his mouth), as he articulates the /t/ sound. Tell him there will be no powerful air jet coming out if he articulates /s/.

Practise /t/ only after he's ok with /s/. You need to wean him off that blend /st/ in his "stun'.

You can make use of tongue-twisters too:

She sells sea shells on the sea shore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I’m sure she sells seashore shells.

Or sing a song:

The wipers of the bus go swish swish swish
swish swish swish
swish swish swish

Although most PD milestone charts tell you /s/ can only be articulated by 4yo, I think you should start practising with him soonest. This is because HYPY phonetics (z, c, s, zh, ch, sh) would be coming in soon in K1, if your child is attending a kiasu preschool that teaches HYPY headstart. My DS had a kindergarten classmate whose parents ignored his lisp. He ended up mispronouncing his /l/, /r/, /j/ and still stuttering at age 6.

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Blissedsher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks jetsetter. OK I will try ur method to teach him. I as his mother can't catch 15percent of what he is saying so quite worried. Chinese words u mention he say problems too. So I guess it's related. One more point is his problem is not clear cut s or t only. Some other words will have problem too. Like clean becomes keen.. Flush becomes lush . donno if its related . He can say r says rrr.. R for labbit.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Blissedsher wrote:Thanks jetsetter. OK I will try ur method to teach him. I as his mother can't catch 15percent of what he is saying so quite worried. Chinese words u mention he say problems too. So I guess it's related. One more point is his problem is not clear cut s or t only. Some other words will have problem too. Like clean becomes keen.. Flush becomes lush . donno if its related . He can say r says rrr.. R for labbit.
cl and fl are consonant clusters. They are harder to master. Work on the individual sounds first.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Snow24 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi

Anyone can share tips on how to help kids with language delayed kids on language expansion and extension.

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Specialkids » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm

1. Speak as if he has normal speech patterns but at a much slower pace with more straightforward language that matches his cognitive abilities.
2. Model the way - don't baby-talk.
3. Practise tongue and mouth strengthening exercises in a fun manner. E.g. let's see who can bubble the longest.
4. Don't correct his speech too much.
E.g.
Child: Where my bear bear?
Don't say: Say it again (and again): Where is my bear?
Do say: Did you just ask me where your bear is? I think it's in the room. Do you know where my pillow is?

Rose Chen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Rose Chen » Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 am

Dear all,can i check is anyone can recommend a good speech therapist to me?My boy is 4.5 yrs old now,suspect have autism,has speech delay.thanks a lot.

Sheena8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Sheena8 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:22 am

Does anyone have any experience with a speech centre/therapist here? Given that the fees are so high, I really would like to find one who is passionate and is genuinely concerned about the child, and does not look at him as an "enterprise".

Appreciate your help.

VT15
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by VT15 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Do PM me if u need speech therapy recommendation in the West.

Alpha47
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Alpha47 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi VT15, do check your pm.

I am still looking for Speech Therapist in the west, do let me know availability/rates, thank you in advance!