All About Speech Therapy

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:31

Re: How to help your child pick up his speech

Post by jedamum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:42 pm

sheryl wrote:Hi
My 2.4 yrs old son is assessed with mild delay in speech by a speech therapist. Besides going to speech therapy which is 1 to 1, any class that is in a small group where he learns to interact? What other things can we do at home to help him?

your speech therapist should have some exercises for you to practice at home; if not, ask him/her.
one of the 'exercises' that my ST got us to do is to ask questions about a book; ie, we don't have to read the storybook word by word, but we look at the picture and try to engage in a discussion with the child. if the child's sentences are not complete/proper, we will have to say it in the proper structure and get the child to repeat our sentence. key note is to only do it about 15min or half hour daily (depends on the child's attention span) and don't over do it as some speech-delayed kid may find it frustrating as they cannot grasp the sentence properly.
MHO.
another thing is to switch off the TV. :)

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to help your child pick up his speech

Post by pingsped » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:43 pm

sheryl wrote:Hi
My 2.4 yrs old son is assessed with mild delay in speech by a speech therapist. Besides going to speech therapy which is 1 to 1, any class that is in a small group where he learns to interact? What other things can we do at home to help him?

Does he have receptive language difficulties, ie limited vocabulary & difficulties understanding sentences or explanations ? Receptive language difficulties can cause delays in speech.

If yes, then talk to him slowly using short picture books and objects. This has got to do with auditory (temporal) processing & memory difficulties, so it's best to speak slower & use short sentences.

If you are concerned abt expressive language difficulties (assuming he has some speech), work on
a) phonological awareness (sound) &
Some children have difficulties hearing sounds in speech. A phonics program can help them to process sounds better. But this is usu recommended for older kids. You can buy very simple phonics CD/DVD & get him to listen.

b) metalinguitic awareness
Stage 1 readers which have repetitive or elaborative sentence structures can also help a child have a better sense of how a sentence is constructed.

He's still quite young. It can be just a case of slower development. He may outgrow it by 3 yr old.

cheers

ddmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Any recommendation of a speech therapist?

Post by ddmummy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:49 am

Hi

Does anyone of you have any recommendations of a speech therapist?

I am looking for one for my 5yo DS.
His English enrichment teacher recommends him to go to one to improve his pronouciations. DS will swallow all his "s" and his "c" becomes "k" etc.

Tks

GSK
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by GSK » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi

Maybe u wanna check on his ears 1st, are they being blocked. It does affect the speech. If yes, maybe u can ask doctor to prescribe ear drops for him.

Thanks.

xian_kai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Speech Therapist

Post by xian_kai » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Is anyone bringing their kids to see speech therapist at NUH (Child Development Unit)?

Cos the ST whom my son is currently seeing has recommended an enrichment center to me. She said that she knows this principal cos the principal has bought one of her student to see her before. ST also told me that a lot of her patients (kids) who later was taught by this principal has improved a lot. Though in the same breathe told me that at NUH, they are not allow to endorse any learning center etc.

So now I am wondering, if it is common for a speech therapist to make recommendations to any enrichment centers? Or am I thinking too much here.

Thanks in advance.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:151

Post by Sun_2010 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 am

Can under stand ur dilemma.

This endrosement is a double edged thing.
The problem is most parents wouldnt know a good centre - even when we enrol, we worry is it worth the money and the effort. So when an expert recommends it can help. At the same time there is a doubt whether the expert is getting a commission/doing a friend a favour...

So my advise - if you do not know other centres that are good thru experince or friends experince and you can afford ithis centre- give it a try. And asses based on what improvements you see, how ur child feels and how yoou feel at the centre.

Afterall the ST is sticking her neck out against the NUH policy by recommending; so she probably genuninely feels that the centre does a good job. And you want the best for ur DS.

All the best

xian_kai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by xian_kai » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks. Think you are right, as I currently do not know of any center which can help DS.

So maybe I will stick with this recommendation.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by 24hr-mum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 am

yes, u can also try Leapfrog at bt timah under michelle.
i hv explored 3 therapists from diff sources and find her the best, for my boy who completed it in 9 mths when he was 2+

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by DesertWind » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:54 pm

24hr-mum wrote:yes, u can also try Leapfrog at bt timah under michelle.
i hv explored 3 therapists from diff sources and find her the best, for my boy who completed it in 9 mths when he was 2+

Hi 24hr-mum,

How does Leapfrog (Michelle) handle the kid? Is she the very fierce/firm type who will take no nonsense from a crying kid (for eg) or the type who would try to build a rapport with the child first?

Because I went for one lesson with another ST before and it totally puts me off. Now trying to source for another one.

Thanks!
:celebrate:

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 24hr-mum » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 pm

oh michelle is a very nice and pretty lady who knows how to rapport wif kids very well. she is firm but patient. i m sure u will like her too.
and she will not anyhow diagnose just to earn ur $.
eg i brought my #2 to see her and she's right in her diagnose that he needs.
for #3, i brought her to see and she was right that #3 doesnt need.
i hv explored 3 speech therapists - mt a, kkh and leapfrog. michelle was the only 1 who pointed out that pooling of saliva in the mouth was an issue - some sensory problem in my #2 whc i didnt know

ask for michelle. tho she is more ex cos more senior and the director but worth it