All About Speech Therapy

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by DesertWind » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:20 pm

24hr-mum wrote:same here. when my boy went for speech therapy at 2+, then "brain therapy" at brainfit, my #1 didnt hv any enrichment.
i use bb bonus to pay and 'close one eye'. otherwise very heart ache
but if u dont do it now, they wont hv time once they hit p1.
Good thing last year I sold off my condo. and so have a pool of money which I set aside for my DS. But this year got to budget liow hence cut down to 3 times a week. Actually I stopped sending him for 2 months over the year-end since he is now attending kindy but his kindy teacher told me that we should do more at home with my DS to prep. him for K1 next year. Since the nursery classes are large, they won't be able to pay him individual attention. Because of my son's speech delay that's why she brought it up that we should closely monitor him. Otherwise, he is able to participate and attend kindy without much problems and enjoying it. The kindy teacher also specifically mentioned the "pencil grip" as my son is not holding the pencil correctly. She said to do clothes peg exercises to train up the thumb and forefinger so that next year K1 it will not be so tough on my son! So back he goes again to the early intervention centre to do a different programme 3 times 1 hourly a week to "prep for K1". Don't talk about P1 yet, step-by-step!
:wink:

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by gerberadaisy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi DesertWind

Many thanks for the info.

Hi 24-hr mum

My son is about 3-4 months slower compared to his twin sister and my elder son at his age. He's 5 years 2 months now but is still unable to read simple readers - can only recognise some basic words. The problem is also partly due to his short attention span and lack of focus. The good thing is that he's gradually matured and is more focussed these days.

However, he may still lose out to his classmates when he goes to P1 next year as he is a Dec baby.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 24hr-mum » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:11 pm

hi gerber

if he is pretty normal, just not learning as much as his peers, i suggest a few things u can do:
1) use flashwords (from september21 or readers that come wf flashcards) to teach him high frequency sight words every daily. repeat the same word till he recognise them.
alternatively is send to i can read those kind of phonic prog. i didnt. i use only flashcards so my kids can read at 3 yo pretty well.
its a matter of more exposure

2) as for attn span, can try brainfit's prog. i'm letting my boy try their Smart Focus prog in apr cos he also short attn span. this part got to address before gg p1.

velvet09
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by velvet09 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi
Can anyone advise me? My dd is going 27mos so less than 2.5yrs old but still not talking properly. She can say mommy, daddy, chie chie clearly. A few words she know how to say but is not pronounced properly like shoes, she'll say shoe; painful - ainful. When we talk to her , sHe can understand us very well. It's really just that she cannot speak properly yet. If she wants something she'll babble or point the thing to us. This year i started her in half day child care and the teacher says she is ok, to give her more time in terms of learning to talk as she will catch up soon now that she is exposed to other children and the environment. But sometimes i get scared that there is something wrong. She is my 2nd. My 1st had no problem, by 2 she is already talking clearly. My 2nd is a bit slow in development when i compare to the 1st. But i know not fair to compare as every child is different.

Appreciate any advise? Should i send her to speech therapist? Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 24hr-mum » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:19 am

hmm...i noticed my boy had the articulation problem when he was 2, until 2 plus. He started speech therapy at 2 yr 9 mths becos he cant pronounce many sounds, eg hold hand becomes old and, fire becomes pire, cant pronounce s, j, h, k, v too. i cant rem what other mistakes but around 2 yrs 8 mths i sent him for assessment despite what other pple think that he's still young becos my first one also can speak clearly by 2yr 6 mths.

from wat u mention, seems like ur child cant pronounce s and p sound. u can try get her read a list of words that start wif s (scissor, sun, sock) and ends wf s, eg cats, dogs, . same for p. dont try eg spaghetti, cos sp is more difficult and its normal for a child if she cant pronounce spaghetti or spectacles yet.

observe if she drools.

if u were to base on my experience, u may want to monitor till she is 2.5yrs old. if still like that, i wld suggest do speech assessment eg leapfrog.
the younger to start, easier to correct the mistakes. that is based on my experience.

velvet09
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by velvet09 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:52 am

thanks 24hr mum. my 2nd does not drool. very normal when you look at her. we want to be positive and always think to give her time and she is still young. last time i said if she turns 2 and cannot talk yet i will panic. now she's already 2+ i said if she turns 3 and still cannot talk i will really panic. but every since she started child care, we noticed a bit of improvement in her such as she seems a bit more social, she tries to babble a lot like she really wants to talk. btw she also goes to mygym once a week, i also started her this year on this.

can you let me know how to contact leapfrog (Michelle)? i cannot seem to find the contact number

velvet09
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by velvet09 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:58 am

sorry 24hr mum i already found leap frog site.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 24hr-mum » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:38 am

Leapfrog number is 67331992.
ask for michelle.

braingym is NOT the usual gym thing
i think mygym is the usual physical gym?
brain gym is some specific ex to improve brain function eg physical coordination etc. one eg is jump on trampoline

u can wait n see. if by 2yr 6 mths or even 9 mths still cant pronounce properly, really sugg u see michelle.

LJHLJH
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Leapfrog

Post by LJHLJH » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi, would like to give my 2 cents since my boy is also at Leapfrog under one of their newer STs. I asked for Michelle, but was told that she doesn't take on new kids because she's the centre director now, and perhaps need to oversee the overall centre running. They do meet up to discuss every child in the centre though and she will assess if she needs to intervene. Any ideas if this is so?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by 24hr-mum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 pm

maybe. becos my boy attended michelle's classes 4 years ago. 4 years is enuf for pple to get promoted. same for my ID designer. also set up own company liao