Parents' Needs Analysis Survey

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Parents' Needs Analysis Survey

Postby baligirl » Sun May 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Dear Parents,

A couple of parents and I intend to set up a parent support group (in Bukit Panjang) for parents of special needs children. We will be conducting activities, workshops and talks for both parents and children.

Prior to that, we would like to do a parents' needs analysis, in order to understand what the parents need and how we can further support them.

We are now collating feed back from parents on the issues and concerns faced daily, after receiving assistance from professionals (EIP, SPED, CDU, OT, ST etc). All the information gathered will be kept confidential and used only for the purpose of parent needs analysis.

The link to our parents' needs analysis form is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... c6MQ#gid=0

Your inputs and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,
Cyndi Cheong

baligirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Parents' Needs Analysis Survey

Postby baligirl » Mon May 28, 2012 1:20 am

A little background. The idea of setting up a parent support group in Bukit Panjang arises from a suggestion by an ex-AED of our children's primary school.

Although parents like us might have already declared our child's learning challenges with the school and joined the respective PSG in the schools...

But, to be frank, the AEDs in schools are overwhelmed and they might be under-supported and lack in man-power to implement additional activities or programmes in school that are beneficial to the students (academics aside).

Among the support we had obtained is a polytechnic lecturer, to get his graduating batch of students (early intervention-special needs, child psychology, early education etc) to assist us on an ad-hoc basis. With their assistance, we hope to come up with a list of programme (activities, workshops, talks) suitable for the children and parents.

Currently, we are trying to garner as much feed back and support from the parents as possible. Please feel free to contact me if you require any clarification. :)

baligirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu » Mon May 28, 2012 12:28 pm

great to see someone COMING up to set up this , thank you v much
its really lacking a support group for special kids mum
my kid has low muscle tone n GDD not sure if I can join
anyway i hope the group will be a success

verykiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby baligirl » Mon May 28, 2012 2:27 pm

verykiasu wrote:great to see someone COMING up to set up this , thank you v much
its really lacking a support group for special kids mum
my kid has low muscle tone n GDD not sure if I can join
anyway i hope the group will be a success

Hi verykiasu,

Thanks for your encouragement and support. :)

We welcome all parents and children with challenges to participate in our activities. May I know what kind of support/programmes would you like to see us organising, if you and your child are able to join us?

baligirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu » Mon May 28, 2012 3:32 pm

would like to see sharing sessions (informal) between parents
or have a forum thread to encourage all to come in n participate
have regular short meet up session n let the kids have frens to mingle with

verykiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby baligirl » Mon May 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi verykiasu,

I'd pm you. :)

baligirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby baligirl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 pm

To all the parents who had helped us complete the parent needs analysis survey, thank you very much.

Our survey is still on-going. Please feel free to forward the survey link to anyone you know who might be interested in the activities, workshops that we will be conducting. :)

Thank you for your support!

baligirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby baligirl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Dear parents, thank you for completing the parent needs analysis survey. :smile:

Based on the feedback collated to-date, the top selected programme is social skills workshops, talks & classes. We are currently liaising with the respective professionals and hopefully arrange for one before the end of the year. :xedfingers:

Our survey is still on-going. Please feel free to forward the survey link to anyone you know who might be interested in the activities, workshops that we will be conducting.

Thank you for your support!

baligirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby thetinyseed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Not sure what your exact needs are, but you may want to contact Ms Layhong. She's trained in visual impairments, and works with special needs kids in mainstream schools. Her email is layhong@live.com.sg

thetinyseed
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby baligirl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 am

Dear Parents,

We are happy to share that we have successfully launched UNIQUE (Self-Help Group for SN Parents in Bukit Panjang).

Our 1st focus group discussion was conducted on 19 October 2012, and our 1st activity, Paper Napkin Art (Decoupage) was held on Friday - 23 November 2012 at Senja-Cashew CC.

A FB group page and email account has been set up for easy dissemination of information and facilitate sharing between parents.

Our FB group address is https://www.facebook.com/groups/unique.bp.pshg/
and all enquiries can be sent to this email address: unique.bp.pshg@gmail.com

Please feel free to invite parents to our FB group page and future activities.

We look forward to your active participation and inputs.

baligirl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties