Verbal Dyspraxia / Apraxia

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Verbal Dyspraxia / Apraxia

Postby star89 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:34 pm

My 4 years old boy has been diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia. He is not able to plan his oral motor to combine two words. He only speaks mono syllables. His speech is not clear too. I am looking for parent support. If you have any kids with condition same as mine, please PM me. We can share the therapy/intervention/suitable primary school for our kids. Thanks.

star89
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Verbal Dyspraxia / Apraxia

Postby i_lovemykids » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Star89,
How old was your son when he was diagnosed? My son is only 28 months but I suspect he may have verbal dyspraxia. He spoke late and currently still at mono syllables, and not able to combine two words. His speech is also not clear. I brought him to our doctor when he was 26 months and the doctor recommended speech therapy. My son has been seeing the speech therapist for the past 2 months. I also have been looking around for resources such as speech-enhancing DVD etc to help boost my son's speech. He doesn't have any official diagnosis yet, but I can see a marked delay in his speech compared to my two older kids.

i_lovemykids
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby star89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:16 pm

I brought my son for a proper diagnosis by speech therapy at 3.5 years old. His speech is improving now but still delayed if compare with peers around his age. I give him fish oil (brand Efalex) and it seems help alot on his face muscle coordination. Not sure whether can give before 3 years old, you have to check with the doctor first if you want to give.

star89
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby i_lovemykids » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Star89,
I read about the fish oil supplement so I bought some for my son too, but not the Efalex brand. I think it's the Childlife brand which can be given to 2 year olds. Only just started a week ago, hope that there will be some positive effect.
I have a friend whose son has dyspraxia and she said her son spoke in sentences at 5 years old. This was after a lot of therapy and placing him in a low ratio preschool setting. She said that she hasn't come across many cases of dyspraxia in Singapore. So far this is the first thread on dyspraxia on this forum, I believe.

i_lovemykids
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby star89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 pm

There is a dyspraxia yahoo group but not active. I read in that group that his son can talk in sentence at 4.5 years old. Let us hope our son can talk in sentence soon.

star89
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mignonne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:21 pm

My son has verbal apraxia and GDD. Whenever I share about his conditions to parents who do not have kids with special needs, their first response are usually:

Is he ASD? Are you sure he is not??
Maybe he is just a late talker. He will be ok when he is older
You should try to talk to him more etc...

Not much is known about this condition.

Finding a suitable preschool for him is tough. His previous preschool principal asked us to withdraw him after a year with the school.
Waiting time for EIPIC is long. Furthermore there is limited subsidies for middle income family like us. We have to fork out a lot of money for private ST and OT and this is not subsidized. My kid's CDA account is almost wiped out.

On one hand there is a lot of positive news from the government on providing more support for kids with special needs but on the other hand, our kids don't have time to wait for all these resources to be built up. My son is already going to 5 yo. His development can't wait. The "kiasu" education system waits for no one.

mignonne
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby simplycho » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:20 pm

hi everyone, i suspect my younger boy could have apraxia too.. his speech is very much delayed as compared to his peers and his receptive language (understanding) is far more superior than his verbal.. any reccomendations of speech therapists?

He is 25mths old now.. recently he could manage only 2 word sentences like "mama night night" or "off switch" but cant say 2 different syllabus words like "apple" or "lemon"

I see a marked difference between him and my elser boy who was slower than his peers but still met milestones

simplycho
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties