Extra test time for special needs students

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Extra test time for special needs students

Postby Tong Ning » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am

Hi, parents
Does your child apply extra test time for PSLE? How this will help them for the result? My son has mild autism, i am not so sure if he really needs the extra time, since some test already very long & i don't know if this really benefit him. Appreciate any parents can share some experiences
Thanks

Tong Ning
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Extra test time for special needs students

Postby ammonite » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi, any application is based on need, letter from registered therapist and school recommendation. You cannot ask for last minute accomodation.

Extra time is sometimes given to children with vision problem(hard to read) and dyspraxia (hard to write). I am not sure about autism or how it would benefit if he has no difficulties reading and writing. It is possible to request for special rooms if a child is clinically sensitive to noise or needs to be isolated for health reason. Your child's school should be able to advise you or check on your specific request.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Skyed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 pm

There are some people in my school with dyslexia who are given more time for O levels.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby happyheart » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm

My understanding is that you need to apply the special request one year before PSLE and because the kid has to go through series of assessments by the relevant department, which can take months. The report will then be sent to MOE for final review. If successful, there will be a block of 15mins extra time for every hour required for the paper. I know of parents with autism kid and they find it useful to have the extra minutes as the kid will feel less stressed while doing paper. Bear in mind these kids can be very good in certain subjects but they are just not good in handling stress in certain environment or distraction around them, hence need more time. I know of one autistic boy who consistently score A* for mathematics. He does not enjoy doing MOE cirriculum maths but only interested in Maths Olymiad. So if it benefits the child during the exam, why not?

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties