Global Development Delay 3yrs old boy

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Global Development Delay 3yrs old boy

Postby dansmaymay » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

My son had just been diagnosed with GDD by a KK Dr. Currently we have speech classes from KKH at Simei. He have less than 50 words and some (or none) 2 sentences. Very very worried. And hes very hyper.

We have asked KKH if he could be autistic but they say he doesnt have a trade of an autistic, but he does flip his hands when he thinks happy thoughts or when hes excited, and they explained it could be because hes excited but couldnt say it.I hope it really is GDD only and not autistic.

In school, he doesnt want to learn. Walk around the classrooms, sometimes a teacher have to be by his side to make him seat still. He will fire up and lie on the floor if he doesnt want to do what the teachers want him too, this only happen if hes in a bad mood.

My hb and i was thinking of enrolling him in classes (other than the KKH)_ We did went to Dynamics once (before he was diagnosed). We also heard that Leap Frog is good.

Anyone else can relate to this topic ? And please share which classes would be good for him .. ? I was also wondering if going to a special school for him would be a good idea ?

dansmaymay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Global Development Delay 3yrs old boy

Postby ammonite » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:29 am

Hi I think this topic was discussed in various threads before. You can use the search function to find them. One of my friends had a daughter similarly diagnosed at 4. With good home support, she is doing very well in a mainstream school now. The things u can do immediately is to spend a lot of time talking to your child and taking your child out. Speak slowly and clearly in complete sentences, ask open ended questions that invite an answer, and do a lot of interactive activities, describing them with a variety of words. Global delays usually cover physical as well. Get an OT to advise you on how to help your child in this area. Usually balance, coordination and core strength are areas of concerns. As the child gets older, you may have to help him read and pick up social cues. Don't worry excessively, but be proactive. Consistency is key. All the best.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Global Development Delay 3yrs old boy

Postby ImMeeMee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 am

dansmaymay

Did KKH recommend any other support programs in addition to speech therapy? There are EIPIC centers under CEL who take in GDD kids for pre-school support program. The enrolment is usually via a referral from the psychologist or doctor.

Do check this out.

http://www.cel.sg/Services_Child_Early- ... ldren.aspx

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties