Home Schooling

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Home Schooling

Postby baobei » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Any mummies out there home school child with special needs? Child having executive function issues in school an has been trying very hard to control impulsiveness. However, he will still get into trouble once every other day. Looking at how he is suffering in school, am thinking of home schooling him. What would the impact be when he pass his PsLE? Will the secondary schools accept him?

:sad:

baobei
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Home Schooling

Postby ammonite » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am

There are a number of homeschooling parents who have kids with special needs,ranging from very mild to significant. You can make contact with them by googling for the yahoo groups. I am not sure how old he is, but if he is young (lower primary), you can create a very good programme with him at home and he may reenter mainstream at an upper level. There are many ways to do this, it just boil down to whether you want to, how it will affect your family (because it will), and how much effort you are willing to put in regarding looking for resources, meeting up with other families etc.

It is possible at any age, but with a younger child, you do not have the immediate pressure of PSLE while finding your feet. Then again, if he is not thriving at all in school, there is also not much to lose in pulling him out.

Secondary schools do accept. But the placement is done after main streamers, so you do not get an equal chance at good schools. One way around that is to be proactive if you have a certain school in mind,one that you think it is an especially good fit for your child. Start contacting schools on your own, prepare your child's portfolio etc.

To be honest there are pros and cons to every option. You just have to make a choice and then make the best out of it.

(have you tried switching classes for him? He could just be with a teacher who is not a good match for him. Talk to the principal, previous teachers, and AED staff.)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby luvmum » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Hv spoken to a MOE officer today in u/s more abt homeschooling. There must b evidence to show the child is more suited for homeschooling, can b school recommendations, psychologist report etc. Parents need to meet the academic qualifications n a structured curriculum needs to b drafted out to ensure daily coaching.

On the contrary if school or other medical experts felt that national edu is beyond the child's intellectual, parents can exempt the child fr compulsory education n source for other avenues separately, be it special schools or homeschool in a way but no exam.

Just sharing what I learn today.

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby KimMills » Thu May 16, 2013 1:18 am

There are a number of daycare centers and schools that take children with special needs and take care of them very well. You don't need to worry, there are facilities to take care of the everyday needs and also for making them learn better.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mrsv » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:30 am

May I know what is the academic qualification for parent to home school?

Mrsv
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nansk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:47 am

Mrsv wrote:May I know what is the academic qualification for parent to home school?

I cannot recall for sure, but I think at least one parent must be a college graduate.
You can check with the veteran homeschoolers or with MoE. Some helpful links:
1. http://singaporehg.byethost13.com
2. http://www.singaporemath.com/Homeschool_s/60.htm
3. http://www.koobits.com/2012/10/16/whys- ... -singapore

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties