Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties

Re: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorde

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:44 am

Its tough to tell the sufferer what is wrong with them, especially if it is psychologically inclined, and the sufferer is a child who has limited experience. All of us parents feel responsible for our children and will become experts in dealing with their problems quickly. But it is still best for the sufferer to come to terms with his/her condition and to handle it themselves. Only then will the concept of "self-help" take root.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby swortionery » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Yup. Solving problems related to ADHD frequently requires one to have a minimal level of self-awareness... and for that to happen, one might have to be taught explicitly what to look out for i.e. what to be aware of.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby blurblueberry » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi, may I ask how is ADHD diagnosed?
Anyone encounter by doing the questionnaire and the overall results from parents indicates have but the teacher's questionnaire overall indicates don't have (just inattention and my son's difficulties affect his grades and schoolwork often) ?

blurblueberry
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby swortionery » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:12 am

blurblueberry wrote:Hi, may I ask how is ADHD diagnosed?
Anyone encounter by doing the questionnaire and the overall results from parents indicates have but the teacher's questionnaire overall indicates don't have (just inattention and my son's difficulties affect his grades and schoolwork often) ?

Typically, a psychological assessment is needed to show whether or not your child might be at risk of having ADHD. A questionnaire might suggest it, but it is more a rough gauge, like a screening test.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby blurblueberry » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks for your reply.
Initially, my son only went for dyslexia assessment and the psychologist told me he has ADHD too.
So after the parent and teacher questionnaire and the psychologist report indicates my son has ADHD, it's based on his assessment, right?

blurblueberry
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Ms. Ooi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:43 am

Hi, I'm a private educational therapist. I'm providing home based intervention for children who has ADHD and others diagnosis. Kindly go to https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/serv ... ial-needs/ to find out more!

I'm ready to support you and your child. =)

Ms. Ooi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby xueyan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am

Hi

I understand rosemary oil helps to focus and concentrate. Any mummies here try before?

May i know where to purchase?

Thank you!

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zac's mum » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 pm

I would like to ask parents and teachers here who have first hand experience with ADHD kids.

Do you know any diagnosed ADHD kids who lack the “impulsivity” trait? After reading up so much about ADHD, it seems to me that the common trait is impulsiveness? I’m talking about primary school age - let’s exclude preschoolers as they still have some impulsivity (developmentally appropriate for preschooler brains).

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:20 am

zac's mum wrote:I would like to ask parents and teachers here who have first hand experience with ADHD kids.

Do you know any diagnosed ADHD kids who lack the “impulsivity” trait? After reading up so much about ADHD, it seems to me that the common trait is impulsiveness? I’m talking about primary school age - let’s exclude preschoolers as they still have some impulsivity (developmentally appropriate for preschooler brains).

There is a variant of ADHD - ADD (missing the "H"). These kids are more dreamy and have inertia rather than impulsivity.
https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhoo ... -vs-adhd#1

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zac's mum » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:18 am

slmkhoo wrote:
zac's mum wrote:I would like to ask parents and teachers here who have first hand experience with ADHD kids.

There is a variant of ADHD - ADD (missing the "H"). These kids are more dreamy and have inertia rather than impulsivity.
https://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhoo ... -vs-adhd#1

Yes I know, thanks slmkhoo. I know your experience is with ADD.

I’m asking more specifically on ADHD though. My DS is classic hyper. But zero impulsiveness: in fact he considers all angles cautiously before any action. There is absence of any risk-prone behaviour.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs & Learning Difficulties

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres