All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Post by Specialkids » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:31 am

My DS went through the same fog. While he was doing his P3 work, teacher would call for homework to be handed in. He had done it, but he would just pass the ones from pupils behind him to the front, never adding his in, because he didn't hear the teacher say to hand it in.

Yesterday, he was telling me about his NS experience. Now he is on the other end of the spectrum, observing things that others do not think important. To him, 2h waiting for his commando to finish lunch is a complete waste of time. To me, my ADHD mind has taught me to over connect. While in the waiting, what is in it for a 2SPF ST pte who has to learn to wait for suspects to turn up, do their stuff etc? 🙃

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Just wanted to share this chapter. Friend wanted to borrow this book “Bringing Up Boys” by Dr James Dobson, so I took the chance to read it again (the last time was >2 years ago).

I’m waiting till after the SA2 results and PTM chat with teachers to suss out whether any behavioural/inattention issues. Then see whether want to go for ADHD assessment. DH is like: “He takes after me lah. I was a typical active boy who hated sitting down doing worksheets in the classroom!” 🙄

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm

This has been my bedtime reading last few weeks. Very interesting perspective. Seeing ADHD not as a disability but as a unique advantage in the way the always-buzzing brain works. Plenty of leaders capitalize on this (and their super high physical stamina & energy level) to brainstorm ideas & build startups. Then outsource the drudgery & paperwork aspect of the business to hirelings lol.

6thisnthat9
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:42 am
Good morning. I would like to have my 9 year old assessed to see whether he has ADHD. Does anyone have a good, impartial private medical professional to recommend?

My child is not impulsive but he is extremely hyperactive. Has not mellowed much over the years, still very high energy and talks incessantly. Behaviorally, in school and at home, he is unable to sit still and focus on his written work or even eat a meal without being distracted by some toy or book or conversation topic that he’s thinking about. So the brain drifts off at a tangent quite frequently.

He did not clear the recent GEP Round 1, which is why I want to find out what’s wrong with his brain (leading to this behavior all these years, which is supposed to mature & focus more by this age, but no...).

Recommendations please. I am desperate to have an answer.
Hi
It may not be ADHD. Tested my boy then, was told so. My boy has high energy level too. We were referred to SGH when he was 6 years old. They have a counselling sessions for pre school going kids. We have learnt that we cannot lower their energy level, but we can teach them how to regulate it. Things we try not to over-excite them if we know will trigger them. We also have learnt to pre-empt undesirable outcomes, to keep them occupied at all times, so that their mind dont go out or control. It was easier to apply them when before P1 but not now. These kids may not be aware at what they are doing.

Not sure if it fits yours but try search "spirited child". There is a book on how to raise a spirited child.

Learning the piano has helped to calm them down. How about yours? Your boy is learning the violin if I remember correctly.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your story.

By the way, those fidget spinners that some people said will help ADHD, did not help my boy. It actually distracts him more.

I recall reading up on spirited child. And strong-willed child. During his toddler years. I will relook at those books.

Yes music is very good for helping them learn patience. He’s learning violin that’s correct. He can focus on getting the rhythms and notes, in fact he loves it. It’s immediate feedback cos he can hear if the note is right or wrong.

hercules
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:50

Post by hercules » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:13 pm

My girl recently shared with me in the medical institution that she is working, 20% of her peers* have ADHD and 2 have aspergers. All are aware of their mild conditions. All learn to self-manage without medication since young. One of the ADHDs said ADHD is a gift coz it gives him boundless energy to do many things without feeling fatigue.

*50% of these peers are doctors and the rest are scientists / interns. Total about 25+ of them. Averaged age 35 yo.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:19 pm

One of the top fencers I know has ADHD. The brain is able to multitask and take in all the surrounding information at a very fast glance. Brain cells zinging everywhere to decide which counter-strategy to use on the opponent. Definitely a boon to have extremely fast reaction time in the sport of fencing.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:31

Post by jedamum » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:11 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:19 pm
One of the top fencers I know has ADHD. The brain is able to multitask and take in all the surrounding information at a very fast glance. Brain cells zinging everywhere to decide which counter-strategy to use on the opponent. Definitely a boon to have extremely fast reaction time in the sport of fencing.
Indeed i guess.
My ds2 has pretty fast reflex. In a pre cca fencing trial, he secured 7 hits against his opponent who secured none. Both were beginners std. They thought his sensor was faulty, but it wasn't. But on the actual trial, he was disqualified as he fidget and struck before start. He was overexcited.

He does has the energy to take up multiple stuff but not the discipline to bring their standards up a notch higher as he is disinterested in drilling. He still fidget even in sec school and told me he has already limit his fidgeting to shaking leg and pen twirling during exams/tests. :faint:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zac's mum » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Ah, the pen twirling...a legitimate way for fidgety students to alleviate their boredom.

As a JC/uni student I used to chew gum/Mentos or Ricola Pearl sweets to keep myself focused.

And I still chew gum in the office to keep from swearing at all those aggravating emails.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:01 am

I have ADHD too. One of its strengths, as I like to explain to my clients, is that it allows one to see order in chaos. Does that resonate with any of you?