All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:58

Re: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:37 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:09 am
MrsKiasu wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:20 am
The more I talk / think about it, thinking on the consistency/results/cher suggesting test etc, sometimes do get abit suspicious..but when look at her, talk to her, all worries will just go off naturally de..I prefer to think it that way :sweat:
The questions we asked ourselves when deciding or not whether to test, and provide therapies (at home, in our case), and ask for accommodations was: given what we see as her level of intelligence/ability, does it seem that she is underachieving? And is there anything we or the "system" could do to help her achieve her potential?

For our daughter, in the early years, she was underachieving mostly because of poor attention and motor skills, so we tried to help with that. We couldn't make her "just like everyone else", but she improved enough that she was suffering less when trying to keep up with schoolwork and school activities. We also saw that social skills was getting in the way, not so much of academic achievement, but of life in general, so we tried to help with that. You would also be surprised (we were) that social skills can really get in the way of academic life too - not knowing how to respond to or deal with teachers and classmates, being excluded from groups, not understanding the requirements, etc.

Our next hurdle is to help her get an internship and eventually a job. She is enroute to get a reasonable academic qualification, but she performs very poorly at interviews. We believe that she can do certain types of jobs well, if only she can land one. We have recently approached SG Enable for assistance in finding an internship this year. We're not sure how this will work out, but we have to try.

So back to my first point - if you feel your daughter is underachieving based on your assessment of her abilities (academic and other aspects), it may be good to work on specific skills to improve her eventual outcome.
the last para to target the issue is the more difficult part to me..over the years, I kept telling myself to accept whatever outcomes that may be..even telling myself ok for her to go to private institutions etc but of course sometimes I do feel abit 'heartache' thinking abt future ..also to avoid frictions/dents in our relationship..I m not sure about other kids her age, mine I feel like growing up too fast in terms of listening and following all the things I say..from a rather mild temperament kid with some 'bullies' around her, it changes her to be a kid that could better protect herself, I should be happy as I helped her raised some issues to her FT during lower pri..nowadays she will go and tell cher if she finds anything too distractive to her..she told me that she just want to study properly..just noticed she communicates more with some of her chers.. team work as always quite weak..she can raise her ideas etc but the others usually a clique will not listen kind of thing lor. at this stage, they are quite a number of WA group chats, but she doesn't really bother what they talking..even I find many talk quite out of scope one..probably abit boring to her..

slmkhoo, your dd is doing very well and she is very fortunate to have you as a mom..

patpatrol
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by patpatrol » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:00 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:23 pm
patpatrol wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:03 pm
I would say generally half her mistakes are due to carelessness/ not reading the question (linked to her inattention) and half her mistakes are due to her weakness in the subject, can’t understand or transfer and apply what she has supposedly learnt. Does this sound serious?
If it's weakness in understanding, then you will need to figure out why, and then address those issues directly. Go right back to basics and make sure she masters the foundation; worksheets will have to come later.

If she is not reading the question carefully, that habit has to be trained bit by bit. First, sit beside her. Make her read the question aloud slowly. Ask her to tell you what she needs to do, step by step, without writing anything down yet. Get her to do those steps one by one on paper until she gets the answer. You may have to guide her like this for days, weeks, even months - it will always take more repetitions than you think is needed. After she gets into the habit to breaking things down like that, then you have to monitor that she always does this for every question. If she doesn't, make her repeat the steps with you. Eventually, she will build up the habit. Of course, as she improves her understanding, some steps can be skipped or done simultaneously, but she should be made to do them sequentially initially.

This step by step method should reduce carelessness too. Also teach her to check her answer by a different method (repeating the same steps will usually mean she will repeat the mistake). Again, checking has to become a habit.

I can't say anything about brain training and other therapies, but you can try to help your child develop a longer attention span through doing things she enjoys. Set aside uninterrupted time for her to do whatever it is she likes, and encourage her to stick to it for as long as possible before getting distracted. Try to give her a space when she is not likely to be distracted, and try not to ask her to do something in the middle of the activity. Again, this will help her biuld a habit of staying with 1 thing for longer.
Thanks again for sharing strategies. Did you try helping your DD to improve her attention through diet? Like restricting sugar, taking supplements like fish oil or food with high dopamine? Mine loves sweet treats and can be motivated by this. So it’s a way to get her to push herself to focus and complete her task. After reading up on this area, I am wondering have I been doing the wrong thing and if sugar may actually worsen her condition?

Thanks.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:252

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:22 am

patpatrol wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:00 am
Thanks again for sharing strategies. Did you try helping your DD to improve her attention through diet? Like restricting sugar, taking supplements like fish oil or food with high dopamine? Mine loves sweet treats and can be motivated by this. So it’s a way to get her to push herself to focus and complete her task. After reading up on this area, I am wondering have I been doing the wrong thing and if sugar may actually worsen her condition?

Thanks.
We didn't do anything about sugar as we control sweets etc anyway. My daughter isn't a foodie so that has not been an issue. We didn't try any supplements as we didn't see any compelling reason to do so from the literature, and we didn't want to have to start something too difficult or expensive to keep in supply. The only thing foodwise that we tried is coffee! It's supposed to help focus, so we thought there would be no harm trying. We started giving her half a cup of normal instant coffee every morning when she was 9 yo, and she still drinks a cup every morning now (she only has that 1 cup a day). We can't decide if it actually works! My husband thinks it does, I don't see any difference, and my daughter says she can't tell. But since she likes her coffee, she has continued with it. When she doesn't drink coffee, she sometimes gets headaches, but that's usually when we are travelling, so I'm not sure whether it's the lack of coffee or other issues.

If you suspect sugar, you could try gradually withdrawing the high-sugar items, either by replacing them with sugar-free substitutes, or replacing them with non-food rewards? I've never liked to use food as rewards as it can become a bad habit. Our "carrots" for our daughter if she did things well and within a reasonable time, or focused for a specified time, were things like extra computer or TV time, or extra "credits" which would accumulate towards a notebook or stationery item, or getting to choose where to eat during the weekend, etc. If she took too long to complete a task, or got too many things wrong, she would use up the time she would otherwise have for computer or TV, so that was also a disincentive to be careless. We made a lot of use of kitchen timers!

Personally, I don't think food or supplements are much of a solution. They may help a bit, but I doubt they can work miracles unless the child is suffering some very serious lack of something. Even in neurotypical kids, behaviour still has to be taught and trained, and some kids just require more training. There are no easy fixes for that.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:13 pm

patpatrol wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks.
You donch have to cut her sugar intake drastically. Maybe start by not stocking sugary snacks at home. No chocolate (heard that choco + sugar is many times as potent).
Some people avoid soy products...there should be plenty of soy-adhd related info in the www.
As for supplement, besides fish oil, I've come across lecithin (no sure why coz I thought this is a soy product).
What about her milk intake? Still using children formular? Maybe those added DHA etc make the brain hyperactive. Can consider switching to full cream milk and see if there's any improvement.

BTW, is the ahdh/add affecting her learning? My boy was diagnosed but his problem was more of the non-conformist/anti-social/disruptive issues. It kinda got better as he grew older

CHEERS LS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CHEERS LS » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:36 am

Dear parents,

Due to the Covid-19 Situation, we would like to do our part and support any child who may be affected.

We understand that families are facing lost of income or unemployment in this difficult time.

Hence, we are offering a Caring Package from June to August 2020 for children whose family is facing financial hardship.

We will be adjusting our assessment fee to be in line with public services for this group. Our base rate will be $580 for a re-evaluation assessment for the school/ national examination. For diagnostic cases, our base rate will be $880.

We will adjust or extend the Caring Package in accordance to the situation after August 2020.

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Cheers,
Mrs Lee Ming Ying
Registered Educational Psychologist and Therapist
Director, Cheers Learning and Assessment Services, Singapore:: Hp: 8495 5465
Check out Cheers Learning and Assessment Services at http://www.cheerslearning.com

Information on your educational consultant:
Ms Ming Ying is a registered educational psychologist (SPS) and an educational therapist (RETA). She graduated with distinctions from the NTU Master of Arts (Applied Psychology) Programme. As a former MOE teacher, she accumulated more than 10 years of teaching experiences in both mainstream and special schools. She had served at Pathlight before joining School of the Arts (SOTA). Ming Ying is trained in the Orton-Gillingham, ABA and TEACCH Approaches. In her free time, she conducts assessments at the DAS and Mindchamps Allied Care, lectures at the College of Allied Educators and supervises allied educator trainees as a NIE supervisor.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:44 pm

This article may be of interest to parents who aren't for medicating kids with ADHD to suppress the behavioural problems.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/15/2129 ... roject-evo

I've always been a firm believer that games can be used to help kids develop (if used in moderation), and it's really cool to come across news like that.

cse1217
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by cse1217 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:26 pm

For those who are interested to get support to understand ADHD, I came across this group called Spark Singapore which is focusing on this topic. They do organise free support group once and you can access their events via https://peatix.com/group/2166025/view.

cse1217
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by cse1217 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:26 pm

For those who are interested to get support to understand ADHD, I came across this group called Spark Singapore which is focusing on this topic. They do organise free support group once and you can access their events via https://peatix.com/group/2166025/view.

oh Siong
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by oh Siong » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 am

actually, just like to share about my personal encounter while working with students diagnosed with ADHD...
i used to work in a school, and i dare to say that, for children diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive/hyperactive types), the intervention success rate is very high, ONLY IF there is consistency in following through with all the parties involved, namely Family /School / professional team...

for very severe cases , where medication is given, sometimes, just giving the medication is no point, as there is nothing done to "enhance" the "non-hyper-moments"...........

i once handled a severe case, where the primary school used a "problem elimination" method, by sending the child out to the counsellor, or suspending him from school for all major school celebration /events...
by the time he came to Sec1 (my school), we had a hell lot of issues, and the mother was rather tired and resigned to fate. In fact, she was very resistant to us for a start, due to her bad experience with the primary school team whom worked with her child.

We strike an agreement, that "big cases" that involve hurt to other students, or money or law, we inform her. Other than that, if she trust us, let us handle him , with the needed consequence. Slowly we bought her in, and she never questioned us on our decision. When we texted her to do some follow up action at home, she also seldom asked why. By the time the boy reached sec4, no one believed that he was the same boy in Sec1, whom was holding rackets, hitting any living things , killing butterflies in the school garden etc..

all these without medication.........

hence, working together , consistency is the most important factor...

having said that, it was super shag to manage him, as it was me (the school counsellor), the DM, and the form teachers, passing the baton repeatedly...

JassyT
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by JassyT » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:37 pm

What's to know about ADHD in toddlers?
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315518