All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
Post Reply
jslow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 18,

Post by jslow » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 pm

I also dun like to label kids so soon. Sometimes i feel that its an easy way out just to label. Come on, its only the 9th day in the p1 life and can tell that it is ADHD? Better talk to the teacher and do more observation on ur child. The trs in the sch with special needs training might be able to shed more abt it. Observe the child for a longer period of time. It could be many factors that ur child cant manage to finish the work.
Be positive and stay calm, things might nt be that bad.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Apr 26,

Post by mrswongtuition » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm a teacher trained in special needs and to be able to even refer the child to MOE's educational psychologists for assessment, we need to build up a case.

Building up cases involve many procedures and many ppl.

Written reports/observation by all teachers who teach the particular child. Detailed incident records, survey/interview with teachers, peers and the student himself/herself. Parents also need to give background about home environment, schooling history, traumatic experiences when younger, medical history, etc.

And to be able to gather enough evidence for it to be reliable, it needs to be over a span of at least 2 months. And it's not at the end of 2 months but consistently throughout the 2 months.

All you can do now is to ask the teacher for evidence of written observations given by all subject teachers.
They may send your child for tests without informing you. If you want to be kept inform, you have to highlight to them that all tests/assessments need your written approval.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Dec 23,
Total Likes:8

Post by 2ppaamm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:I'm a teacher trained in special needs and to be able to even refer the child to MOE's educational psychologists for assessment, we need to build up a case.

Building up cases involve many procedures and many ppl.

Written reports/observation by all teachers who teach the particular child. Detailed incident records, survey/interview with teachers, peers and the student himself/herself. Parents also need to give background about home environment, schooling history, traumatic experiences when younger, medical history, etc.

And to be able to gather enough evidence for it to be reliable, it needs to be over a span of at least 2 months. And it's not at the end of 2 months but consistently throughout the 2 months.

All you can do now is to ask the teacher for evidence of written observations given by all subject teachers.
They may send your child for tests without informing you. If you want to be kept inform, you have to highlight to them that all tests/assessments need your written approval.
The problem is, some teachers find certain kids so hard to handle, and they find it so difficult to put up a case, that they take the easy way out. They do something drastic and then ask the parent to chip in the money and get the diagnosis done. Just some black sheep out there. But I met one. What a costly thing to do to us! It was only I sent in many complaints that the school finally allocated some support, instead of asking me to provide psychologist support, teacher aide, etc etc. I was beginning to feel like I was MOE...

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Aug 14,
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 pm

2ppaamm wrote:ask the parent to chip in the money and get the diagnosis done. Just some black sheep out there. But I met one. What a costly thing to do to us! It was only I sent in many complaints that the school finally allocated some support, instead of asking me to provide psychologist support, teacher aide, etc etc. I was beginning to feel like I was MOE...
Not restricted to black sheep but rather a common strategy adopted by school?

A relative of mine had similar encounter. Her son's case was put on hold for soooo long. She waited and waited for close to a year & finally kicked a fuss with the school for brushing her son's case under the carpet & wasted so much time instead of rendering help as soon as possible, the school told her to engage external pyschologist if she wanted it fast!

After numerous complaints, the school finally reluctantly arranged for a psychologist to see her son. Don't know what kind of tales the school told the psychologist, she was being ticked off by the psychologist for being 'difficult' when she brought her son for assessment. Somehow she was projected by the school as uncooperative & a miser trying to save some penny by refusing to pay for an external pyschologist :shock: A totally unpleasant experience. She subsequently switched her son to another school.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07,

Post by EN » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Building up cases involve many procedures and many ppl.
Ah...Now I know why I waited, teacher promise & nothing happen yet. Teachers talk among themselves, call me up all the time & pester me for help. They know I have a problem child whom I myself can't cope, yet nobody wants to take the initiative or even raise a case when I ask her to do so.


sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Aug 14,
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:47 pm

EN wrote:
Building up cases involve many procedures and many ppl.
Ah...Now I know why I waited, teacher promise & nothing happen yet. Teachers talk among themselves, call me up all the time & pester me for help. They know I have a problem child whom I myself can't cope, yet nobody wants to take the initiative or even raise a case when I ask her to do so.
Perhaps you can email the principal directly?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Dec 23,
Total Likes:8

Post by 2ppaamm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:24 pm

sleepy wrote:Perhaps you can email the principal directly?
Or you can write a letter directly to MOE if you really want to get attention and help from MOE. It's a long waiting list to get the psychologist's attention. After the diagnosis, you'll still need to get intervention. Still got to spend money. I guess it might be better to help yourself rather than wait for them. They are short handed and they handle the most urgent cases first.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 07,

Post by EN » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 pm

sleepy wrote:
EN wrote:
Quote:
Building up cases involve many procedures and many ppl.



Ah...Now I know why I waited, teacher promise & nothing happen yet. Teachers talk among themselves, call me up all the time & pester me for help. They know I have a problem child whom I myself can't cope, yet nobody wants to take the initiative or even raise a case when I ask her to do so.


Perhaps you can email the principal directly?

Or you can write a letter directly to MOE if you really want to get attention and help from MOE. It's a long waiting list to get the psychologist's attention. After the diagnosis, you'll still need to get intervention. Still got to spend money. I guess it might be better to help yourself rather than wait for them. They are short handed and they handle the most urgent cases first.
I actually brought one to a polyclinic recently asking for a referral. The other one was too tired after attending 3 days camp. Giving the too tired child a chance to buck up before I bring to polyclinic for a referral. The one being brought to polyclinic is not adhd. School will not pick up either because does not cause problem so far. This child problem is only for the family to see. If I'm travelling & if things happen, my parents or husband might fail to notice and react immediately.

The polyclinic doctor thoughts there's no issue. Put a question marks on the referral letter. Must be thinking the mother is nuts.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 8951
Joined: Thu Jan 10,
Total Likes:34

Post by jedamum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:54 pm

EN wrote: The polyclinic doctor thoughts there's no issue. Put a question marks on the referral letter. Must be thinking the mother is nuts.
:?
The polyclinic doctor that i went to for referral (to NUH) did not even assess my boy - he said he is in no position to diagnose cos he is no specialist, wrote me a referral and i left his room in <3 min after an hour at the polyclinic. He based on the developmental assessment done by the nurse (who told me she was unable to refer cos need doctor to refer, but jot down my concerns based on teacher's feedback on my boy's record).

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2532
Joined: Wed Dec 23,
Total Likes:8

Post by 2ppaamm » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:06 pm

jedamum wrote:
EN wrote: The polyclinic doctor thoughts there's no issue. Put a question marks on the referral letter. Must be thinking the mother is nuts.
:?
The polyclinic doctor that i went to for referral (to NUH) did not even assess my boy - he said he is in no position to diagnose cos he is no specialist, wrote me a referral and i left his room in <3 min after an hour at the polyclinic. He based on the developmental assessment done by the nurse (who told me she was unable to refer cos need doctor to refer, but jot down my concerns based on teacher's feedback on my boy's record).
Exactly, the medical doctors are in no position to diagnose at all. I remember asking a doctor once about my son. I told him in passing that some teachers said he needed help. He spoke to my son for 2 minutes. Told me no worries: he could hold a good conversation, has good eye contacts etc etc. He asked me to save the money. He was so wrong... Even if your kid is ok, you buy yourself the peace of mind.

Post Reply