All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Discuss issues related to children who have special needs or learning difficulties
EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by EN » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Anyway, waiting to be referred to KKH. I did not notice both my kids do not maintain eye contact. One was pointed out to me by a friend, a kindergarten teacher. The other one, since I am being made aware, I do my own observation. Yeap, also no eye contact but this one does so subtly that you wont notice it.

So Jedamum, via polyclinic does not cost a bomb right? Mine, will be paid via the company's insurance if consultation is needed.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:34

Post by jedamum » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:35 pm

EN wrote: So Jedamum, via polyclinic does not cost a bomb right? Mine, will be paid via the company's insurance if consultation is needed.
i am still waiting for my appointment with NUH; next month ie.
it is very much cheaper than unsubsidized/without referral ie $25+ vs $90++. i think that range is consultation costs...have not checked if it applies to therapy costs too, but definitely will be cheaper, maybe by 50%. cons is the waiting time lor.
mine is all out of our own pocket so ds2 preschool advise us to go subsidized route.

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by KS_me » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Blobbi wrote:Teachers are too eager to label, and psychs have all sorts of "suspicions".
Is quite true I feel with what you said. My DS1 was with Childcare since he was 3 y.o but was not being labeled as ADHD only active and playful. Now in P2 with a very fierce and strict teacher, we were called in for this discussion. I'm trying to say my son is not ADHD but I suspect the FT doesnt want to deal with active child in a class that full of "guai guai student"... considering my son has been streamed to top 3 classes.

I'm sure if he is being grouped in the rest of the classes, he would not be seems as "ADHD suspect"....

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by 2ppaamm » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 pm

KS_me wrote:
Blobbi wrote:Teachers are too eager to label, and psychs have all sorts of "suspicions".
Is quite true I feel with what you said. My DS1 was with Childcare since he was 3 y.o but was not being labeled as ADHD only active and playful. Now in P2 with a very fierce and strict teacher, we were called in for this discussion. I'm trying to say my son is not ADHD but I suspect the FT doesnt want to deal with active child in a class that full of "guai guai student"... considering my son has been streamed to top 3 classes.

I'm sure if he is being grouped in the rest of the classes, he would not be seems as "ADHD suspect"....
O my goodness, this happened to my son 2 years ago. I ended up spending thousands just to prove the teacher wrong. Sicko teachers. Ignorant.

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Full.Cream » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 am

sometimes a child appears to be ADHD coz he is simply too intelligent and can capture the lesson without paying attention. is your child like this?

if a child is disrupting class with funny antics, not only teachers will be upset, other parents may complain too. so if there's something which can calm the child down, like reading a story book, or drawing...then maybe can work with the teachers to let him do his own things as long as he complete his school tasks.

sheryl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sheryl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 pm

My 4yr old son just attended a new childcare centre. This is his 2nd week there & I received a note from the teacher to call the centre as they want to update me on my son.

The supervisor told me she will be observing him for a few days & let me know next week on her findings. If necessary, we can bring him for assessment. I was like WHAT :? what problem does my son has? You ask me to call you & yet you cannot tell me what behaviour problem he has & you make that type of statement. This is making me worried. His teachers have made comments like he is active, short attention span, distracted easily & bite fren when they snatch for toys. His ex teacher in his previous childcare told me he has short attention span. He will wonder away during lesson or daydream. but when u give him the worksheet he knows where to colour & what to do.

I thought it is too early to make any judgement when he is only there for 2 weeks. I know he is trying to adapt to new environment. Every night, he throws tantrums & ask for his barney & hug & smell it. He is under stress & yet the teachers think he has behaviour problem. He dun cry when he goes to school. He will wave goodye to us & walk into the hall.

Is the centre expecting too much of him thinking he been to childcare before & should be able to cope well? This new centre is very different from the old. I too feel the difference. More structured & disciplined.

I waiting for his form teacher to call me & provide more examples of "his behaviour problem". :|

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Full.Cream » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:24 am

while I can understand that most parents do not like their child being 'labelled', some schools are seeking a diagnosis more to help than to discriminate.

Eg, if a child is always the non-conforming one, then it'll help the school if they know if he's just ill-behaving or ADHD or autistic coz managing it will be very diff.

Such behaviour will be explained to other students and they will be taught to be more tolerant towards the child and helping him with his daily chores (most have some social problem, esp with peers). Well, at least that's what my children's childcare taught them.

baobei
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

ADHD

Post by baobei » Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Anyone with child diagnosed with ADHD?

How is she/he coping in primary school?

Is there any strong support from the school for your child?

Hope someone can share your experience.

:?:

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: ADHD

Post by matrix0405 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm

1) Submit all your reports to the school so that his form teacher can pay special attention to your child.
2) The school would have a special need officer. Make sure he is aware of your case.
3) Get 'Parent Support Group' to help out (buy food, eat, go back to class etc) during recess.

baobei
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: All About ADHD : Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorde

Post by baobei » Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 pm

We sent doc report to the FT. In the end, keep receiving remarks to counsel child walking around in class. Guess the teacher 60 years old still not use to child in new generation. :(

We do understand it is tough for teachers to control a class of 30 students with one not complying to rules.

In pre-school years, with only 10 children per teacher, think still manageable but now it is like every week you will receive complains from the FT. Guess probably because FT teaching almost all subjects, kind of tough for the FT to bear with the child for half a day.